Erwin Rommel

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Johannes Eugen Rommel or "Rommel" or "Field Marshal Desert Fox Rommel" for short (listen ▶ (help·info)) (November 15, 1891 – October 14, 1944) was one of the most distinguished German Field Marshals, and perhaps one of the greatest military leaders of all time. He was the commander of the Deutsches Afrika Korps in World War II, and is also known by the nickname The Desert Fox (Wüstenfuchs, listen ▶ (help·info)), for the skillful military campaigns he waged on behalf of the German Army in North Africa. He is often remembered not only for his remarkable military prowess, but also for his chivalry towards his adversaries.

Quotes of Rommel:

"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains saves both."
"Mortal danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas."
"The best form of welfare for the troops is first-rate training."
"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."
"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine."
"Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."
"A risk is a chance you take; if it fails you can recover. A gamble is a chance taken; if it fails, recovery is impossible."
"There is one unalterable difference between a soldier and a civilian: the civilian never does more than he is paid to do."
"What difference does it make if you have two tanks to my one, when you spread them out and let me smash them in detail?"
"The best plan is the one made when the battle is over."
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
"The officers of a panzer division must learn to think and act independently within the framework of the general plan and not wait until they receive orders."
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders."
"Be an example to your men, in your duty and in private life. Never spare yourself, and let the troops see that you don't in your endurance of fatigue and privation. Always be tactful and well-mannered and teach your subordinates to do the same. Avoid excessive sharpness or harshness of voice, which usually indicates the man who has shortcomings of his own to hide."
"The future battle on the ground will be preceded by battle in the air. This will determine which of the contestants has to suffer operational and tactical disadvantages and be forced throughout the battle into adoption compromise solutions."
"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success."
"One must not judge everyone in the world by his qualities as a soldier: otherwise we should have no civilization."
"The art of concentrating strength at one point, forcing a breakthrough, rolling up and securing the flanks on either side, and then penetrating like lightning deep into his rear, before the enemy has time to react-is Blitzkrieg."
"Messages can't be intercepted if they aren't sent, can they?"

"This business with the Jews has got to stop."
""What was really amazing was the speed with which the Americans adapted themselves to modern warfare. Starting from scratch an army has been crafted in the very minimum of time, which, in equipment, armament and organization of all arms, surpasses anything the world has yet seen."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_Rommel#Quotations_of_Erwin_Rommel

Now, I have read articles that said that Erwin Rommel was wanted by the allies even more than Hitler.

I wonder why?

He never attacked civilians directly like other German generals or I haven't seen evidence to say he attacked civilians. Was it because he was one of the greatest tacticians that ever lived?

And finally, if you look at the link i have, doesn't he look like the actor Ed Harris? :D

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Rommel was a great commander and tactician, and that is why the Allies wanted him worse than Hitler.

Hitler, as shown by his decision to invade Russia on the first day of summer, was a detriment to German strategy. This is demonstrated even better by his insistence that his armies be destroyed rather than withdraw later in the war.

Oddly enough, Rommel's reputation was enhanced by chance:

The Allies had completely compromised German codes, and regularly read Rommel's orders issued from Berlin.

Rommel would refuse to obey tactical orders he didn't like. He didn't like a lot of the orders he got from Berlin.

So the Brits would set up to counter a German thrust ordered by Berlin, and Rommel either wouldn't appear, or would appear in an entirely different place with unexpected tactics, and slap the Brits good.

Which takes nothing from his abilities.

He educated the American Army at the Kasserine Pass when he was in full retreat from the Brits.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Rommel was a great commander and tactician, and that is why the Allies wanted him worse than Hitler.

Hitler, as shown by his decision to invade Russia on the first day of summer, was a detriment to German strategy. This is demonstrated even better by his insistence that his armies be destroyed rather than withdraw later in the war.

Oddly enough, Rommel's reputation was enhanced by chance:

The Allies had completely compromised German codes, and regularly read Rommel's orders issued from Berlin.

Rommel would refuse to obey tactical orders he didn't like. He didn't like a lot of the orders he got from Berlin.

So the Brits would set up to counter a German thrust ordered by Berlin, and Rommel either wouldn't appear, or would appear in an entirely different place with unexpected tactics, and slap the Brits good.

Which takes nothing from his abilities.

He educated the American Army at the Kasserine Pass when he was in full retreat from the Brits.

I agree that Hitler was a detriment. So, would that make him a great tactician because of his skill as a commander or for his not following orders from Berlin, by chance?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
No, I think Rommel was a great general.

I mean, luck always has something to do with it.

As well, Rommel developed armoured tactics that were very successful, he was the first man to use AA guns (the famous 88mm guns) as anti-tank weapons, he predicted the Allied landing at Normandy.....he was the man.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
hmmmm I've always thought Rommel was a good general and a pretty moderate Nazi... if there is such a thing.

But you also have to take in account the highly trained men making up his army and the highly technical arms (tanks). So yeah he was good but so were the tanks and men he had. =-D

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
All his quotes makes sense including the one where you shouldn't call your enemies assh*les but be nice to them.

If its good enough for Rommel I guess then I should change my ways.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
ElPolaco said:
Jersay said:
When hitler ordered all captured Free French executed, Rommel refused obey.

Wow, what a nice guy.

Could you picture a US commander in Iraq refusing a torture order? Don't think so.

Could you picture a Canadian 2Commando Commander in Somaliland refusing a torture order?
Don't think so.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
zoofer said:
ElPolaco said:
Jersay said:
When hitler ordered all captured Free French executed, Rommel refused obey.

Wow, what a nice guy.

Could you picture a US commander in Iraq refusing a torture order? Don't think so.

Could you picture a Canadian 2Commando Commander in Somaliland refusing a torture order?
Don't think so.

Yes I can.

Yes I can.

Lifestream

Jan 24, 2006
Toronto
Ah Rommel. I wish I learned more about his tactics in my history course. Alas, we discuss diplomacy foremost and sweep battles and manoevers under the rug.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Erwin Rommel

Lifestream said:
Ah Rommel. I wish I learned more about his tactics in my history course. Alas, we discuss diplomacy foremost and sweep battles and manoevers under the rug.

They don't normally teach German history in Canadian schools. They only thing I learned (even being a German) was to hate Germans :roll: and consider them as evil. All I ever heard about Germany in secondary school was

6 Million!
6 Million!
6 Million!
6 Million!
6 Million!
6 Million!

Of course, there's a lot more to wwii and German history than that. What a racist education system I went through!

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
When you get into post-secondary they teach alot of German history, well at least in my university.

But i agree, in Canadian history throughout highschool, and elementary they just teach about the Holocaust which wasn't even thought up to 1942, 43,

they protray it like it was some thing Germans did immediately when Hitler came to power.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The six million kind of pales next to these numbers.

WORLD WAR II FATALITIES

World War II was without doubt the costliest war in military history. No truly accurate figures exist and estimates can be only roughly approximated. Somewhere between 15 and 20 million military personnel were killed in action and another 25 to 30 million civilians probably died as a result of the indiscriminate bombings, artillery barrages, and savage fighting.
Military Dead

Among the Allies, the USSR had the heaviest battle casualties, with about 7.5 million dead. China lost 2.2 million combatants; the British about 300,000; the United States 292,000; and France 210,000. A TOTAL of 10.5 million

Among the Axis powers, Germany suffered about 3.5 million battle dead; Japan 1.5 million; and Italy 200,000. A TOTAL of 5.2 million
Civilian Dead

The USSR lost between 10 and 30 million civilians; China at least 6 million; France about 400,000; the United Kingdom 65,000; and the United States 6,000. A TOTAL of 16.5 million

On the Axis side, 500 - 700,000 German civilians were killed; 600 - 700,000 died in Japan; and 150,000 in Italy. A TOTAL of 1.5 million

ESTIMATED TOTAL CASUALTIES = 50 Million plus