Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Toronto Star:

But Chrétien aide says signing accord a vital step forward

Feb 23, 2007 04:30 AM
Les Whittington
Ottawa Bureau

OTTAWA–Eddie Goldenberg, one of former prime minister Jean Chrétien's top aides, says the Liberals went ahead with the Kyoto Protocol on climate change even though they knew there was a good chance Canada wouldn't meet its goals for pollution reduction.
Public opinion was behind the government when it signed the Kyoto Protocol in 1998 and then formally ratified it after a parliamentary debate in 2002, says Goldenberg.
But he doubts Canadians were "then immediately ready for some of the concrete implementation measures that governments would have to take to address the issue of climate change.
"Nor was the government itself even ready at the time with what had to be done," he said in a speech prepared for delivery to the Canadian Club of London, Ont. "The Kyoto targets were extremely ambitious and it was very possible that short-term deadlines would at the end of the day have to be extended."
The protocol, a United Nations-led agreement, calls for Canada to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 6 per cent below their 1990 levels by 2012.
In 2005, the Liberals under then-prime minister Paul Martin tabled a $10 billion plan to cut emissions between 2008 and 2012. But last fall, former Conservative environment minister Rona Ambrose said there was no possibility of Canada meeting its Kyoto targets and blamed the Liberals for failing to put Canada on track to do so.
In his speech, Goldenberg says even if the Chrétien government was ill prepared to follow through on its Kyoto commitment, signing the accord was vital to alert Canadians to the task of addressing climate change.
"We knew that signing and ratifying Kyoto when we did was absolutely necessary to prepare public opinion for the actions that would have to come in the future," he says.
"The signing of the Kyoto Accord in the face of vigorous opposition served to galvanize public opinion to bring it to where it is today in Canada. In the long run that will be far more important than whether we can meet all the short-term deadlines in the accord."

John Baird, the Conservative environment minister, said he wasn't surprised by Goldenberg's comment. "We always knew that the Liberals had no plan, they took no action and had little intention of doing so," he told reporters in Ottawa.

Toronto Sun Editorial:

Grits knew Kyoto deal just hot air

By LORRIE GOLDSTEIN

While it's obvious Canada's previous Liberal government bought a pig in a poke when it signed the Kyoto accord, it's nice to have it confirmed.
By Eddie Goldenberg, former prime minister Jean Chretien's top aide, no less.
Last week, Goldenberg told a London audience the Liberals knew they couldn't implement Kyoto when they signed it in 1998 and ratified in 2002, but that it was necessary to push public opinion towards accepting implementation of the controversial treaty on global warming.
"Nor was the government itself even ready at the time with what had to be done," Goldenberg acknowledged.
"I believe that the signing of the Kyoto accord in the face of vigorous opposition served to galvanize public opinion to bring it to where it is today in Canada. In the long run, that will be far more important than whether we can meet all the short-term deadlines in the accord."
Goldenberg argued Chretien succeeded in moving public opinion to the point where, today, Ottawa can take tough action to lower greenhouse gas emissions. Those measures, he warned, will result in "big costs in dollars for business, the consumer and for the taxpayer."
To be sure, leading public opinion is something we expect politicians to do.
But the problem for the Liberals is that they did nothing to implement Kyoto after signing it, with the result that they were 35% behind their own emission target when they lost power.
Combine Goldenberg's comments with Liberal leader Stephane Dion's remarks to the National Post last summer that a Liberal government with him as PM would not be able to meet its Kyoto targets -- or, as Dion put it: "In 2008, I will be part of Kyoto, but I will say to the world I don't think I will make it" -- and it shreds what's left of Liberal credibility on this issue. Dion's later explanation was that he meant the Liberals couldn't implement Kyoto if they aren't returned to power before 2008.
In other words, if an election is held this year and they win, they could still do it. Right. And pigs can fly.

The liberals have always taken the citizens of Canada for suckers, and continue to do so.....

Has there been any time since Trudeau that the Liberal Party has actually meant anything they say, or has everything come down to win the polls, win the election??

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
John Baird, the Conservative environment minister, said he wasn't surprised by Goldenberg's comment. http://www.ucar.edu/news/releases/2006/oceantemps.shtml he told reporters in Ottawa.

Toronto Sun Editorial:

Grits knew Kyoto deal just hot air

By LORRIE GOLDSTEIN

While it's obvious Canada's previous Liberal government bought a pig in a poke when it signed the Kyoto accord, it's nice to have it confirmed.
By Eddie Goldenberg, former prime minister Jean Chretien's top aide, no less.
Last week, Goldenberg told a London audience the Liberals knew they couldn't implement Kyoto when they signed it in 1998 and ratified in 2002, but that it was necessary to push public opinion towards accepting implementation of the controversial treaty on global warming.
"Nor was the government itself even ready at the time with what had to be done," Goldenberg acknowledged.
"I believe that the signing of the Kyoto accord in the face of vigorous opposition served to galvanize public opinion to bring it to where it is today in Canada. In the long run, that will be far more important than whether we can meet all the short-term deadlines in the accord."
Goldenberg argued Chretien succeeded in moving public opinion to the point where, today, Ottawa can take tough action to lower greenhouse gas emissions. Those measures, he warned, will result in "big costs in dollars for business, the consumer and for the taxpayer."
To be sure, leading public opinion is something we expect politicians to do.
But the problem for the Liberals is that they did nothing to implement Kyoto after signing it, with the result that they were 35% behind their own emission target when they lost power.
Combine Goldenberg's comments with Liberal leader Stephane Dion's remarks to the National Post last summer that a Liberal government with him as PM would not be able to meet its Kyoto targets -- or, as Dion put it: "In 2008, I will be part of Kyoto, but I will say to the world I don't think I will make it" -- and it shreds what's left of Liberal credibility on this issue. Dion's later explanation was that he meant the Liberals couldn't implement Kyoto if they aren't returned to power before 2008.
In other words, if an election is held this year and they win, they could still do it. Right. And pigs can fly.

The liberals have always taken the citizens of Canada for suckers, and continue to do so.....

Has there been any time since Trudeau that the Liberal Party has actually meant anything they say, or has everything come down to win the polls, win the election??
Nice to have it confirmed? Always knew the Libs had no intention to folow through? Golly, you'd have thought they would have had that figured out when ChRETIeN said, "it [the Kyoto Accord] means nothing."

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
FOR THE LIBERALS IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN OPTIC'S AND GOOD SOUND BITES.

remember the scrap the GST, Kyoto accord, saying we will protect our coasts while trashing miltary spending. say long gun control is required when it has done nothing outside of hire a great number of government works....

Hell these are the guys with the all out war on smoking while Alan Rock was pushing to legalize pot!!!

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
You people just kill me....

If you think the environment or crime or guns or anything else is more important to a politician than assuring his spot at the trough and the anticipation of that golden parachute after six years of screwing over anyone and everyone he or she can.....

Liberal or Conservative...

You people can't really think beyond the labels provided can you....?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You people just kill me....

If you think the environment or crime or guns or anything else is more important to a politician than assuring his spot at the trough and the anticipation of that golden parachute after six years of screwing over anyone and everyone he or she can.....

Liberal or Conservative...

You people can't really think beyond the labels provided can you....?
That's not true Mikey, I just like poking the lil bugs and watching them squirm and weaze.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
It's all just talk Bear.

The only real Canadians that have done anything but bitch and complain are our brothers at Oka Ipperwash and Caledonia. It was and is the intransigence of the people and the government that bring these issues to a boiling point.....

Canadians (whitey) is happy to sit back and point at all the baaaaad people....while doing absolutely nothing....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's all just talk Bear.

The only real Canadians that have done anything but bitch and complain are our brothers at Oka Ipperwash and Caledonia. It was and is the intransigence of the people and the government that bring these issues to a boiling point.....

Canadians (whitey) is happy to sit back and point at all the baaaaad people....while doing absolutely nothing....
I couldn't agree with you more, but I wish the bubbles at the boiling points, wouldn't dig up roads and burn bridges, both figuratively and literally.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
It's humorous to see conservatives so sanctimoneous over the environment. Up till a few months ago they weren't even willing to admit there was an problem and now they're the cutting edge of the environmental movement???

The conservatives were given the Dinosaur award at the Climate Change conference in Cairo last summer for it's intransigience on the issue.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So in other words the Kyoto agreement had no teeth. Countries signed on with no real intention of following through on their obligations.

How much money did Canada have to give up (lose) before it came to the realization that the paper was worth more than the print?

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
So in other words the Kyoto agreement had no teeth. Countries signed on with no real intention of following through on their obligations.

How much money did Canada have to give up (lose) before it came to the realization that the paper was worth more than the print?

I'd have to try and find that out, as usual that type of info is hard to find on line....

The Liberal Government of Canada came to the realization before they actually signed anything, but it 1 looked go to be enviromental and 2. the liberals have alway stayed anti U.S. therefore if the U.S. didin't sign it would be good for them to sign.

There has been some input on this thread as to the ironic nature of having the Conservatives onside..True! Harper uses this as an election ploy for sure, but no more or less than the Liberals, it's really only the Green party and to a lessor extent the NDP that have had this as a long term issue, the other two major parties are on a band wagon, 10:1 says neither the liberals or conservatives will have this issue when the next economic downturn happens, or if Medicare becomes a big issue again.

Truthfully Kyoto is majorly flawed, always has been, it's optics of transfering money so you can continue to polute. It's like a Mafia boss giving a million to the Church, it's doesn't lessen his crimes, but makes him feel better...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I don't know about other countries, but it came right outta ChRETIeN's big mout dat Kyoto meant nutting.

No idea. The info's probably tough to find, too, because the Gliberals weren't too upfront with everything concerning their activities with our money.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Well, I said a while ago that if leaders were really serious about getting people to change the way we behave toward the planet, the way to do it would be to hit us in the pocketbooks. But, I don't think it'd be as serious as people make it out to be. Economies go up and down. Stockmarkets go up and down. Companies go broke while others start up. Things adjust to pressures. People have to learn how to do that instead of sitting around content with status quo.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
It is my belief that for any international treaty which Canada signs there should first be a referendum which defines the terms and conditions for which the signature of the treaty will represent Canada in the negotiation and the signing process. Do you know that in the United States the president first needs to get authority from congress before signing an international treaty in order to negotiate on behalf of the United States.