English student in Quebec

Wantabe

Jul 12, 2010
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone can help us...

Could my English-only speaking son attend school on the ON side while we live in Quebec? We will be living in Aylmer, very near Ottawa.

My son does not require any French to graduate in BC but must have grade 11 French to graduate in QC.

I will be learning French but my son has some learning issues and learning languages is almost impossilbe for him. He really tried but he just couldn't pick any French up and he feels really bad about himself and of course wants to gradute. He will be going into grade 10.

Thanks, S

cdarro

Nominee Member
Feb 13, 2010
Alberta
You should be able to have him educated in english in Quebec. If you are a Canadian citizen and your children have been educated in english in any province, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees you the right to have all your children educated in english in any province (where numbers warrant). As far as I know, Quebec has not invoked the notwithstanding clause to negate this right

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Quebec has publicly funded French and English schools.
Under the Charter of the French Language, passed in 1977, all students must attend French-language public schools except:

• children who have done most of their elementary or secondary studies in English elsewhere in Canada;
  • children whose father or mother did most of his or her elementary studies in English anywhere in Canada; (You must have proof of this, which means if you are coming from another province in Canada, you must get either your elementary transcripts and/or your high school transcripts to prove that one of the parents has attended an English school in Canada or your child will be rejected)
and/or

• children of Canadian citizens (Canada Clause) whose brother or sister did or is doing his or her elementary or secondary studies in English anywhere in Canada; (proof of this will be needed if are coming from another province in Canada)
  • temporary residents of Quebec;
  • First Nation children;
who may attend publicly-funded English schools.
Since 2006, English is taught as a second language in French schools from Grade 1 onwards, and a few schools also offer English immersion programs for advanced students. English schools offer a wide range of programs that include French as a second language, French immersion, and fully bilingual programs that teach both English and French as first languages.

link:
Education in Quebec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone can help us...

Could my English-only speaking son attend school on the ON side while we live in Quebec? We will be living in Aylmer, very near Ottawa.

My son does not require any French to graduate in BC but must have grade 11 French to graduate in QC.

I will be learning French but my son has some learning issues and learning languages is almost impossilbe for him. He really tried but he just couldn't pick any French up and he feels really bad about himself and of course wants to gradute. He will be going into grade 10.

Thanks, S

I just called our English school were my son graduated. They told me he will be definitely accepted in English school. About the French, he will be tested and then will receive specialized French courses adapted to his ability.

Welcome to Quebec and I hope you have some time to visit the province. It is big and green, there are so many beautiful places to visit.