Election Countdown

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
peapod said:
On the cbc documentary on bush last night, they said he did not even have a passport before he became president. So how would he know anything about international politics and cultures. Also that he and his father are the only two sitting presidents in american history to have so many ties to big business. Many having to do with defense.

I can't believe I missed that documentary, it sounds as though it was really, really good. I wonder if any Americans tuned in? I know a lot of people like CBC, but probably just the already-saved watch it, not the Republicans. What else did they say about Bush?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well it was dam scary! Especially when the bin laden family was sitting at the board table with the carlye group when the planes hit the world trade centre. They call it business...I don't think so. It will replay again, but here is basically what it was about.

The World According to Bush, a two-hour documentary about the inner-workings of the Bush administration, will alarm even the most hardened Washington-watchers. Fans and critics of the acclaimed Fahrenheit 9/11 will want to see this thoughtful and damning investigation of the U.S. administration.

Who are the Bushes? Apparently, they're the "quiet dynasty" of modern America-but in reality, their "dynasty" is one of inconceivable family secrets, painstakingly concealed. The current president's grandfather, Prescott Bush, made his fortune by managing Nazi companies after Hitler seized power. In 1942, his companies were confiscated for collaboration with the enemy. George Bush Sr., president from 1988 to 1992, armed and financed Saddam Hussein. He approved the shipping of germ warfare strains to Iraq, enabling the country to launch a chemical attack against Iranian troops and the Kurdish population.

The World According to Bush aims to show how the Bushes, father and son, have not only dined with the devil, but have often invited themselves to his table. The bin Ladens and the Bushes have been longtime business partners, and the family of the future terrorist chief indirectly financed George W. Bush's political career. This unnatural alliance has continued since the Sept. 11 attacks: Bush Sr. is a top official in one of the biggest private investment funds in the USA, Carlyle, a group that has invested heavily in the arms industry. The Bradley tanks and the missiles used in the latest war against Iraq are made by firms controlled by Carlyle…and the bin Ladens. For the latter are Bush's associates within this investment fund.

Much of The World According to Bush takes the form of one-on-one interviews and includes Bush's speech writer David Frum; former weapons inspectors Hans Blix and David Kay; presidential adviser Richard Perle; Secretary of State Colin Powell; former CIA director James Woolsey; and former UN secretary-general Javier Perez de Cuellar.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
They're off: Long lines of voters greet the day

Presidential candidates to meet with supporters
Tuesday, November 2, 2004 Posted: 1848 GMT (0248 HKT)

Sen. John Kerry arrives Tuesday to cast his ballot in Boston after an early rally.

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) - Polls opened early Tuesday to long lines of voters - some of whom had camped outside overnight - waiting to cast a ballot in one of the most tightly contested presidential elections in recent history.

The candidates President Bush and Sen. John Kerry prepared to wait out the long day of voting and what could be a long night of ballot-counting. President Bush cast his vote in Crawford, Texas, this morning at the Crawford Fire Department near his ranch. He entered the polling place with first lady Laura Bush and their two daughters. (Bush votes in Texas, to watch returns at White House)

After spending less than five minutes there, Bush emerged and told reporters he was confident in the judgment of the people and said "I believe I'm going to win." Bush later appeared in Columbus, Ohio around noon to greet party activists and volunteers for his campaign. "I'm confident we'll carry Ohio and we'll carry the nation," he said. "I'm looking forward to leading the nation for four more years."

Strategists from both parties agree that the election will hinge on turnout. Both have invested heavily during the campaign in get-out-the-vote efforts (New voter signups could make history). The Democratic challenger Sen. John F. Kerry , who started his day with campaign events in Wisconsin, voted at the State House in Boston about 1 p.m. Afterward, in a personal Election Day tradition, Kerry planned to have lunch at the city's Union Oyster House. (Kerry plans get-out-the-vote rally)

Kerry kept campaigning Tuesday, starting his day with events in Wisconsin. Asked by a reporter what his thoughts were now that the campaigning is finished, Kerry replied, "It's not over yet -- still working until 8 p.m. tonight." Bush is seeking a second term as the 43rd president of the United States. Kerry is seeking to become the 44th president following a 20-year career as the junior senator from Massachusetts.

Sunrise voters
As polls opened on the East Coast, sunrise found lines of voters at polling places from Georgia to Michigan to Maryland. Twelve states opened Election Day polling places before 7 a.m., The Associated Press reported. The mountain hamlet of Dixville Notch, New Hampshire, followed tradition as one of the first municipalities to count and announce vote totals. The tiny community with 26 voters gave Bush 19 votes to Kerry's 7. Independent candidate Ralph Nader received no votes in Dixville Notch. (New Hampshire)

Fifty miles away in Hart's Location, the vote was tighter - 16 for Bush, 14 for Kerry - and Nader got on the tally board with one. New Hampshire election law allows polls to close once all eligible voters have cast ballots. Alaska, meanwhile, laid claim to being the state that will be the final one to close its polls, which it intends to do at 1 a.m. EST Wednesday.

In Ohio, efforts by state Republicans to have challengers at hundreds of polling places appeared to be on again after U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens let stand a 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling allowing the challengers. On Monday, two federal judges prohibited the challengers. Republicans took the issue to the Court of Appeals and from there it moved to the Supreme Court. Republicans had planned to send about 3,600 challengers to polling places, after losing court battles to challenge some 35,000 registered voters before the elections after mailings to the voters came back as undeliverable. State GOP officials said the challenges were an effort to thwart voter fraud.

An African-American couple in Cincinnati, Ohio, filed suit, saying plans to have challengers at polls in largely black precincts is meant to intimidate and block black voters. Early Tuesday, officials in Ohio's Stark County said they had some "overzealous" campaigners, but no serious problems. Columbus police also said a crude flier telling Republicans to vote Tuesday and Democrats to vote Wednesday was apparently distributed in some areas.

Race tight going in
CNN/USA Today/Gallup polls over the weekend indicated the race was evenly split between the two candidates - and was so close in some showdown states that an electoral victory was impossible to predict. To win, a candidate must pick up 270 votes out of the 538 in the Electoral College. There are 14 states, representing 151 electoral votes, that remain competitive and have received the most attention from the two campaigns.

The top three battleground states are Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania, with 68 electoral votes. A second tier of closely watched states includes Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota with 27 electoral votes. Special attention will be given to Florida, in which the 2000 election took an unprecedented turn. The results were so close that recounts held up the presidential election for five weeks.

Ultimately, the U.S. Supreme Court halted the recounts. Bush was declared the winner in Florida by 537 votes. The result gave him 271 electoral votes to 266 for the Democratic candidate, Vice President Al Gore. (One District of Columbia elector left her ballot blank to protest the district's lack of statehood.) Polling in the showdown states suggest a similarly close election is possible again.

Congressional races
Although the top draw of the election is the presidential race, voters across the country will have plenty of other decisions to make. The Senate, where Republicans hold a 51-48 edge over Democrats and one independent, could change hands based on Tuesday's results. Overall, 34 races are being contested, with tight matchups in Alaska, Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina and South Dakota. If Kerry is elected president, Massachusetts will hold a special election in the spring for his Senate seat.

All 435 seats in the House of Representatives are up for election, including 36 open seats. Democrats would need to pick up 12 seats to gain control of the House. A bout of redistricting in some states has made the prospect of Democratic victory a long shot. Republicans won control of the House in 1994 for the first time in about 40 years. There are also close gubernatorial races in Indiana, Missouri, New Hampshire and Washington.
Source: www.cnn.com

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
Actually, this has been quite a dull day.

I think I'll skip the coverage tonight and watch someting more exciting. Maybe there is a bowling tournament on or something?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Right now:

Bush 254
Kerry 242

Ohio is not looking good :cry:

It looks like Americans have screwed themselves this time. Last election, he was not even legitimately elected. Now we're living North of the most powerful country in the world which is following a leader among the likes of Stalin.

I sort of knew this was going to happen, but I never expected them to get the popular vote.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Let me see, this was posted on CNN.com around 6:00 AM:

Bush: 254 ELECTORAL VOTES
Vote (%): 51
Vote: 57,886,118

Kerry: 252 ELECTORAL VOTES
Vote (%): 48
Vote: 54,265,083

Ohio still 'too close to call', though the Bush camp says they have won the elections.

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
So where do we go from here?

After the litigation is over - regardless of Bush or Kerry - more war, more killing.

Allawi recently said to prepare for more civilian losses in Fallujah. I guess they are first on the military agenda. Acutally with all the coming controversy over Ohio this would be an ideal time to raze Fallujah.

When will it end? When the US is the last one standing.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
God help them is all I can say. I am so angry that right now I feel they deserve whatever they get. They might be the super power but they cannot take on the whole planet. Now bush has carte blanche to do whatever he wants.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Right on, Pea. I feel the same way. They do deserve what they get... although the problem is, do we? Who'd've thunk that a whole whackin' 50% of Americans are stupid brain-dead dumb-asses? Harsh words, but that is exactly how I feel right now, and something tells me that feeling isn't going away anytime soon.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I can't do anything but agree with you both, Haggis & peapod. They will get whats coming for them. Bush will do whats best for him, not whats best for the country.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
My nephew, a liberal Kerry-votin' dreamer, lives in Seattle, and I really think he said it best this morning in his email, "I feel panicked." That perfectly sums up the way a lot of people are feeling right now, I think. It sure describes how I'm feeling, that panicky feeling you get when there is no place to run. Maybe that is what Bush meant when he said, "You can run, but you can't hide." Maybe he was talking to the whole world.

Another thing he said, "EEEEK! I'm trapped in a stupid country and I'm scared!!"