Easter Uprising: In the end it beat the British

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Finder said:
Blackleaf, I'm a little sensitive about this topic as my back ground is Irish and I do support the republican cause. But calling Mr Eamonn de Valera a facsist or a supporter of such is crazy. The Irish were horribly repressed by the British who were acting more like Facsist then him. Yes the IRA would help the nazi's keep there lights on so the British would be easyier targets, but the Irish had no interest in helping the British and did not know the evils of the nazi's either.

What a load of rubbish you speak. All you are doing is making excuses for a man, de Valera, and a country, the Irish Free State, for SUPPORTING the NAZIS. How could the Irish NOT know what the NAZIS were like? The British and EVERYONE ELSE in Europe knew what the NAZIS were like, so why not the Paddies? I know the British always say that the Irish are a bit "thick", a bit "stoopid", but surely they couldn't be that stupid.

De Valera pledged his support and admiration for the NAZIS just two weeks or so AFTER the British liberated the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp. Could he not read newspapers?

De Valera and the IRA and the Irish Government at the time were NAZI-loving anti-Semites. What more could be said about it? They even had a book of condolences for Hitler after his death at the German Embassy in Dublin.

So when you fault the Irish for not tickling the Brits for their freedom, I think the Irish fought well and hard
It's just a pity that they decided to fight Britain for independence in 1916 DURING WORLD WAR I. They might have fought "hard and well" for their independence but it's just a pity that they couldn't let the rest of Britain fight hard and well against the Germans, whereas we had to concentrate on the Easter Rising instead, therefore not helping Britain's war effort against the Germans.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Men executed for their role in the Easter Rising
Patrick Pearse
Thomas J. Clarke
Thomas MacDonagh
Joseph Mary Plunkett
Edward (Ned) Daly
William Pearse
Michael O'Hanrahan
John MacBride
Eamonn Ceannt
Michael Mallin
Cornelius Colbert
Sean Heuston
Sean MacDermott
James Connolly
Thomas Kent
Roger Casement

I mean, just look at the men executed in 1916 and their role with the Germans.

Despite the fact that in 1916 Britain was at war with Germany, Roger Casement (like Irish Republicans in BOTH World Wars) was a strong supporter of Germany. During WWI, he travelled to Germany and printed lots of Irish Republican material in German newspapers. The Germans then provided him with weapons to use against the British. He then tried to smuggle these weapons into Britain in 1916 - which is why he was hanged for treason.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Blackleaf said:
Finder said:
Blackleaf, I'm a little sensitive about this topic as my back ground is Irish and I do support the republican cause. But calling Mr Eamonn de Valera a facsist or a supporter of such is crazy. The Irish were horribly repressed by the British who were acting more like Facsist then him. Yes the IRA would help the nazi's keep there lights on so the British would be easyier targets, but the Irish had no interest in helping the British and did not know the evils of the nazi's either.

What a load of rubbish you speak. All you are doing is making excuses for a man, de Valera, and a country, the Irish Free State, for SUPPORTING the NAZIS. How could the Irish NOT know what the NAZIS were like? The British and EVERYONE ELSE in Europe knew what the NAZIS were like, so why not the Paddies? I know the British always say that the Irish are a bit "thick", a bit "stoopid", but surely they couldn't be that stupid.

De Valera pledged his support and admiration for the NAZIS just two weeks or so AFTER the British liberated the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp. Could he not read newspapers?

De Valera and the IRA and the Irish Government at the time were NAZI-loving anti-Semites. What more could be said about it? They even had a book of condolences for Hitler after his death at the German Embassy in Dublin.

So when you fault the Irish for not tickling the Brits for their freedom, I think the Irish fought well and hard
It's just a pity that they decided to fight Britain for independence in 1916 DURING WORLD WAR I. They might have fought "hard and well" for their independence but it's just a pity that they couldn't let the rest of Britain fight hard and well against the Germans, whereas we had to concentrate on the Easter Rising instead, therefore not helping Britain's war effort against the Germans.

My friend you do not know your history though you try to cut and paste it very well.

De Valera was the leader of the IRA once Mr Collins had acceted the Treaty and plebicite did as well. De Valera went underground and the Irish Civil war then went on for a good long while. The Irish Free State which you have somehow said was tied to the Nazi's and in which I support, was actually funded and armed by the British government and Mr Collins and the Free state was actually still apart of the UK but with Free State status so please get your facts right. Also Mr Collins and the Irish Free State faught against the De Valera faction of the IRA which Mr Collins had just recently commanded.

Though I can see you are a British national and I respect that I can not forgive the 300 some odd years of repression that the UK has brought to Ireland, even to this day the UK will not let the North of Ireland go.

Do I think De Valera was wrong in going against the Treaty, yes. Do I think he was a nazi, or a nazi supporter. No. He took the old adage, "the enemy of, of my enemy is my friend". This can come back to bite you but when your people are repressed you become desperate.

Also that small list of exicuted are not including the hundreds who died during the fighting and the hundreds of thousands who had died during the 300 years of repression and war by the British.

So get on your high horse and try to twist history to make it appear as if somehow Ireland had slipt out of the United Kingdom by the hands of the devil, but I will sleep tonight knowing very well that the Great British empire could not hold onto that small little Island right next door to them because my people were brave enough, faught like demons, and were able to bring a super power to its knees when the UK was something.

here's a little gaulic for ya. "Sinn Féin", ourselves... alone!

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Easter Uprising: In t

I find it insulting that anyone who has the nerve to crassly misrepresent the english (which obviously is who they mean when they use the term "British") as snobby when they know f@ all about us!!!

secondly..when exactly was that date?...1921?...yeah very calculating by the irish, hit the english between ww1 and ww2...when they are at their weakest eb and call it a victory....well it's no victory....it's cowardess, hit a man when he's down, which we were on our knees in those years.

But the fact is...it's BS.....the Irish ALLOWED themselves to be used as pawns by the nazis, leaving their lights on to destroy english cities......AND ACTUALLY THE NORMANS ARE GERMANIC....NOT AT ALL FRENCH...for example, William the 1st's surname....like mine, was Hocke(y), which is HIGHLY Germanic...nope, thats one victory the french can never claim...it was germanic infighting, nothing more.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: Easter Uprising: In t

Daz_Hockey said:
I find it insulting that anyone who has the nerve to crassly misrepresent the english (which obviously is who they mean when they use the term "British") as snobby when they know f@ all about us!!!

secondly..when exactly was that date?...1921?...yeah very calculating by the irish, hit the english between ww1 and ww2...when they are at their weakest eb and call it a victory....well it's no victory....it's cowardess, hit a man when he's down, which we were on our knees in those years.

But the fact is...it's BS.....the Irish ALLOWED themselves to be used as pawns by the nazis, leaving their lights on to destroy english cities......AND ACTUALLY THE NORMANS ARE GERMANIC....NOT AT ALL FRENCH...for example, William the 1st's surname....like mine, was Hocke(y), which is HIGHLY Germanic...nope, thats one victory the french can never claim...it was germanic infighting, nothing more.

So you are saying my people don't have the right to self determination? Thats no better then the nazi's.......

"Hey Laak, the british just got back to me, that they are not ready to give us our freedom yet... Well O'brian, lets go home and forget about and ask them in another 20 years, maybe they will change their minds then.."

Whatever!!! Let's see which nations in Europe were pretty much untouched after ww1 making it the only real power. THE UK so don't give me that post ww1 bull sh*t. The bombing of the UK happend during ww2!!!!!!

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

and comparing the british army to the nazi's?....youve gone too far this time....thats hurtful and insulting, so you may be of irish stock finder, I commend you, I have irish relatives and ancestors myself (doesnt mean I agree with you)...and cortez...well,well,well...here you go again.

The atrocities done by the british army happened over the course of 300 years, and were imeasurably different to those of the nazi's, it is completly wrong to compare the the two.

and if that's what you wanna do...what about your dearly beloved america eh?....how many natives have they managed to wipe off the face of the earth?....no dont start bringing ur stereotypical american BS here, cus it's not wanted britian and Ireland have been fighting for a VERY VERY long time, you could say it's a micro example of the larger Germanic/Celtic wars happening all over europe for time itself.

IF THE BRITISH ARE THAT BAD WHY DOES THE COMMONWEALTH STILL EXSIST?...WHY DONT ANY OTHER COLONIAL POWERS HAVE THIS?...nope, it's because THEIR old colonies wanted shot of em as quickly as possible, we like to keep things civilised and keep friendships from round the world

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

Come on finder.....look at the dates...they are evidence enough themselves....fact is a lot of americans cand foreign national claim to be irish...so why dont you go back if you love the place so much?....why dont you?...why is there still25 thousand irish "illegals" still in the US today?....because it's a cold wet place with not much going on....sit there and claim superiority of self, go ahead, but the fact is ireland were not taken by the british alone, enough Irish profited out of our joining, it's JUST NOT THAT Clear cut

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Daz_Hockey, you take what I say slightly out of contest, but yes the British army did act like nazi's by closing a soccer arena and then using a machine gun placement to mow down the innocent spectators. I can not also forget Bloody sunday and even more innocents killed. These are just two events on the tip of my tongue which reminds me of Nazi like activies of the British in Ireland.

Please spare me, the poor UK, who jesus, the British just had to keep Ireland by force it was there god given right to.... right... Wake up call buddy, the Irish are not British we are gaulic and the occupation of Ireland was and infact in the north still wrong. Now I'm from the stock who think we can come along with a peaceful settlement like that of the peace treaty of 1921 which formed the free state which turned into the republic. But I won't stand around and allow Irish freedom fighters who fought the opressive goliath of the British government and army in Ireland.

I've already stated that I support the side in the conflic the British ultimately made a deal with and sided with in the civil war, and that I am not an IRA supporter after 1921 but the UK has no right nor claim on Irish soil.

As soon as you wake up from your dream world and relieze that the British as a colonial imperalist power was not all roses and peaches you may actual see the harm the UK did to these nations, like India and Ireland.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: Easter Uprising: In t

Daz_Hockey said:
Come on finder.....look at the dates...they are evidence enough themselves....fact is a lot of americans cand foreign national claim to be irish...so why dont you go back if you love the place so much?....why dont you?...why is there still25 thousand irish "illegals" still in the US today?....because it's a cold wet place with not much going on....sit there and claim superiority of self, go ahead, but the fact is ireland were not taken by the british alone, enough Irish profited out of our joining, it's JUST NOT THAT Clear cut

Why are there people from all nations in the USA, even British citizens in the USA. I also do not claim to be "superior" to you nor the Irish people to be superior to those of the british. Indeed all I am saying is Ireland is a nation, a nation which choses not to be dominated by the British government or part of the British crown, also a nation which has chosen to become a republic. A nation to be governored by it's citizens and not a foreign power. Ireland does not have any designs and never have over any terrority of the UK's only to governor it's own slice of the pie. We've largly accepted that we will have to wait for the north to join and I have accepted that as well.

You have a very low opinion of my homeland and I submit that I have not said anything about the Irish being better then anyone else but you sure do seem to have this complex that Ireland is not a place worth that much. If so then why argue over it, and why so why does the British even today wish to hold onto the northern tip so much.

Even to our most nationalistic party and one which is not a big factor in the Republic, Sinn Féin, in it's name alone tells you what we really want and the only thing we ever really wanted. "Ourselves alone" This is not a message of hate but one of just letting us go, and let us have our own government. Which I will admit we largly have now besides in the North of Ireland.

Edit:
It's funny no matter what you do when you mix nationalism with politics you can rarely agree on anything. =-( I'm just glade this conflic is mostly history in most of Ireland today. I can say last summer when I got to travel Ireland going to all these historic places was fun and sad at the same time. I'm hoping to travel the North and some more of the west next summer.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I would say thid finder, one, yes, you are right, the english have and had no right to do what they did in ireland, and the killings were atrocities.....BUT you have to look at the time they were done and the context in which they were made in.

1. The nazi's were abhorrent, evil, plain and simple

2. the british empire was of course about making one group of people's live's a living hell so that another could profit.....but it was perfectly "normal" in the age it lived, infact the british empire was exceptionally fair compared to the other empire's.....even the US.

no, to compare the 2 is wrong, plain and simple, the nazi's murdered out of hatred and sheer evil...

As I say, I have a lot of irish family, and many supporters of Sinn Fein, but I find it hurtful you make this comparison, they are completely different

A nation following the time it lives in with all the strengh it can gather to go one up over it's neighbours

VS.

The most brutal, genocidal racist maniacal regime the world has ever known

come on, if Ireland stayed the way it did without british intervention, a lot of countries would have walked over them

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
and why so why does the British even today wish to hold onto the northern tip so much.
Because when Ireland broke away from Britain, the people in the northern counties wished to remain as a part of Britain, whereas the rest didn't want to be a part of Britain anymore. So the British and Irish made an agreement that the northern counties will remain as a part of Britain whereas the rest will break away.

That way, it's fair and democratic, and also the Irish made that agreement with us so they played a party in Northern Ireland remaining as a part of Britain.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Finder said:
but I will sleep tonight knowing very well that the Great British empire could not hold onto that small little Island right next door to them

Ireland was a part of Britain for around 120 years, so we could easily keep hold of it.

The Irish didn't force us to give them independence. We did it off our own accord. Probably because Ireland was, and still is, nothing more than an annoying little terrier snapping at Britain's heels. We were preparing for them to leave Britain in the first decade of the 1900s, but it had to be delayed as the tiny matter of fighting WWI got in the way of things. This upset the Irish, who were impatient and didn't want to wait until the war had ended.

Britain could easily have kept hold of Ireland if we wanted.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I would say thid finder, one, yes, you are right, the english have and had no right to do what they did in ireland, and the killings were atrocities
The Irish have committed many atrocities in England and supported the NAZIS and Hitler in WWII and almost attempted to deport all Jews out of Ireland.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Atrocities by one are no more appropriate than by the other.

Atrocities in any context are a terrible thing, and should be condemned.

That being said, just off the top of my head, I would have to say that I would imagine that the Great Britain could have, and could, retain Ireland within its jurisdiction, notwithstanding Irish objections (in any practical sense).

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Finder said:
I think as the seculerization of the Republic most caused by the economic bomb of the 90's, I think it may be possible in the near future for the North of Ireland to be included into the Republic.

I think there is NO chance, even in 100 years, of Northern Ireland joining the rest of Ireland. According to polls, only around 30% of the people living in the Republic believe there will be a United Ireland within the next 50 years or so and around 62% (and in some polls even more) of the people of Northern Ireland wish to remain as a part of the United Kingdom. Even 24% of Northern Ireland's CATHOLICS wish to remain in the United Kingdom.

And even if Northern Ireland eventually DOES break away from Britain, what makes you think it'll become part of a United Ireland? It may wish to be an independent nation, neither a part of Britain nor a part of the Republiuc of Ireland.

All these statistics show that Northern Ireland RIGHTFULLY is a part of the UK.

According to Wikipedia...

Demographics and politics

In the 2001 census, 45.5% of the Northern Irish population were Protestant, (Presbyterian, Church of Ireland, Methodist and other Protestant denominations), and 40.3% of the population were Roman Catholic. 13.9% of the population did not give a religion. Population in Northern Ireland: breakdown by religious denomination, Census 2001

A majority of the present-day population (62%, according to a 2004 survey) wish to remain part of the United Kingdom, but a significant minority (22%) want to see a united Ireland. Official voting figures show 54% of NI vote Pro Unionist parties, and 42% voting for Pro Nationalist parties and 4% vote "other". It can be hard to give a fair figure without a Province wide vote on the matter. Almost the entire population of Northern Ireland is at least nominally Christian. The ethno-political loyalties are allied, though not absolutely, to the Roman Catholic and Protestant denominations and these are the labels used to categorise the opposing views. This is however, becoming increasingly irrelevant, as the Irish Question is very complicated. Many voters (regardless of religious affiliation) are attracted to Unionism's, free-market policies and "let's get down to business attitude". While other voters are instead attracted to the traditionally leftist, nationlist SDLP and its party platform for Social Democracy. A majority of Protestants feel a strong connection with Great Britain and wish for Northern Ireland to remain a part of the United Kingdom. Many Catholics desire a greater connection with the Republic of Ireland, with 42% of Catholics, according to a 2004 survey, supporting a united Ireland. According to the same 2004 survey, 24% of Northern Irish CATHOLICS want Northern Ireland remaining a part of the United Kingdom (Catholic Unionist). Official voting figures, again, have these figures much HIGHER.

Protestants have a slight majority in Northern Ireland, according to the latest N. Ireland Census. Most Protestant themselves as Unionists (i.e. want Northern Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom) and most Catholics are Nationalists (i.e. want a united Irish Republic). There are however many who hold a position on the border that is at odds with the label of their "community" or reject these labels completely. The 2004 Irish life and Times survey showed that 29% of Protestants and 36% of Catholics define themselves as neither Nationalist nor Unionist.[2] Some of the Catholics of N. Ireland have Unionist sympathies (see Catholic Unionist), as some Protestants have Nationalist sympathies (see Protestant Nationalist).

The make-up of the Northern Ireland Assembly reflects these divisions within the population. Of the 108 members, 59 are Unionists and 42 are Nationalist (the remaining seven are classified as "other"). Although the Protestant population is the majority, the largest religious denomination is the Roman Catholic Church, followed by the Presbyterian Church in Ireland,the Church of Ireland, and the Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster with the Methodist Church coming fourth.

The two opposing views of British unionism and Irish nationalism are linked to deeper cultural divisions. Unionists are predominantly Protestant and often descendants of mainly Scottish, English, Welsh settlers and indigenous Irishmen who had converted to one of the Protestant denominations. In the Protestant community there is also a considerable Huguenot influnce.

Nationalists are predominantly Catholic and usually descend from the population predating the settlement. Discrimination against nationalists under the Stormont government (1921–1972) gave rise to the nationalist civil rights movement in the 1960s. Many unionists argue that any discrimination was not just because of religious or political bigotry, but also the result of more complex socio-economic, socio-political and geographical factors. This eventually led to a long-running conflict known as The Troubles and the political unrest has gone through its most violent phase in recent times between 1968–1994.

The main actors have been the Provisional IRA and other republican groups determined to end the union with Great Britain, and the Royal Ulster Constabulary, British army and various loyalist paramilitary groups who were defending it. As a consequence of the worsening security situation, self-government for Northern Ireland was suspended in 1972. Since the mid 1990s, the main paramilitary group, the Provisional IRA, has observed an uneasy ceasefire. Following negotiations, the Belfast Agreement of 1998 provides for an elected Northern Ireland Assembly, and a power-sharing Northern Ireland Executive comprising representatives of all the main parties. These institutions have been suspended since 2002 because of unionist impatience at the pace of Sinn Féin's movement away from its associations with the Provisional IRA, which reached breaking point after PSNI allegations of spying by people working for Sinn Féin at the Assembly, although nobody was convicted after a high-profile police operation.

On 28 July, 2005, the Provisional IRA declared an end to its campaign and have since decommissioned what is thought to be all of their arsenal. This act was performed in accordance with the Belfast Agreement 1998, and under the watch of the International Decommissioning Body and two external church witnesses. Many unionists, however, remain skeptical.

wikipedia.org

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
shoot I had a good responce writen up until I lost it. I'm too lazy to write it all out again, but I'll at least say my main points.

No matter how much you wish to demonize the Irish for wishing to defeand themselves against the all so might and good British coloanists and the millions they tickled (murdered) and subjugated during colonial times, you can never convince me that the Irish had any interest in helping the British during ww2 our even why they should have lifted a fingure. Indeed your historical facts are wrong somewhat scewed to Irish envolvment in ww2.

The Republic of Ireland was indeed neutral, but allowed the British in a secret deal to use Irish air space, also Ireland was a stagging ground for jews fleeing Europe to the states as a transfer point. As for the IRA helping Hitler... indirectly, since the IRA were more radical then other republicans they saw that a ruined UK would bring about the unifaction of Ireland faster. The IRA and the Irish have no love for the British back then and if germany was going to bomb the the UK well go ahead and bombs away.

The Irish, and even the IRA have done a hell of alot less damage then the British empire had. You can claim your nation was the victoms somehow of colonial lands wanting there freedom but this may only work on dis-illusioned imperalists such as yourself.

The British empire is over, and though you may cry yourself to sleep over this or denny it, the fact is Britian is no more immportant then the next nation and no matter how much the British try the decline of the British empire is pretty much over now, leaving the UK pretty much as a small back water nation state. Let's see if you guys can even keep your own little island together. Scottish nationalism seems to be a problem now and then. Ahhhh yes my other celtic brothers. :p

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

"ahhhhh yes my celtic brothers"

I really hate this BS, my Family consists of nothing further than welsh, irish and west country english people who were the original english, many of my mothers ancestors were sent to australia for nothing more than stealing an apple, oh yes, the British empire was harsh, cruel and unjust, you'll never get me saying otherwise.

But what your misguided ramblings also forget to point out is the good things the british gave the world, like a decent parlimentary and law system, a world-wide language and many, many other things (like the world-wide-web, Computers and supersonic travel).

I REALLY hate this "Celtic brotherhood" rubbish....while sitting in another continent, were those irish celtic brothers there and united with us Celtic britons when the germanic tribes invaded?....no...they were just like you....sat in the saftey of their own little island.

The fact of the matter is that the celts and the germanic tribes, in the end are one and the same....so go ahead, sit their spout off about the evil british empire, but the reason you have the RIGHT to say this is because of the BRITISH......MAGNA CARTA, a document with a million times more world impact than the Decleration of independence......WHERE DID THE IDEA OF LIBERTY COME FROM EH?.....WAS IT IRELAND?.....WAS IT FRANCE?....WAS IT IN THE GOD ALMIGHTY USA?.......NO IT WAS A BRITISH IDEA.....DONT SLAG MY COUNTRY OFF AGAIN

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: Easter Uprising: In the end it beat the British

FiveParadox said:
Atrocities by one are no more appropriate than by the other.

Atrocities in any context are a terrible thing, and should be condemned.

That being said, just off the top of my head, I would have to say that I would imagine that the Great Britain could have, and could, retain Ireland within its jurisdiction, notwithstanding Irish objections (in any practical sense).

FiveParadox, they are kicking what is really a dead issue. Ireland seperated from the United Kingdom as a Free state with connections to the British in 1921, with mass plebisit in support of Treaty. A few years later declaring itself a republic once the British were able to stomage the complete loss of most of Ireland.

The Provisional IRA never accepted the Treaty nor the divsion of Ireland and went into civil war with both the free state and the UK. Today even Sinn Féin the ultra nationalist party which I give a little support to (though i support the Labour Party more) says that they most likely made a mistake back then by going against the treaty and Michael Collins. But they are still resolved to fight as hard as possible for a united Ireland and at least to protect the catholics in the North of Ireland.

Also when you consider the tactics the British have used against the Irish in that of the Republic and the north, using the military, secrect policy, banning catholism, execution, torture and finally colonizing both the south and north with Scotish and British settlers on Irish lands, the Britsh have no rights to this land, still and I do not fault the ultra nationalists for there angry just there tactics.

But who do I think are more in the wrong here... the British... and they try to demonize the Irish by saying IRA supporters left on there lights during the bombing of the UK... *shrugs*