Drax: UK power station owner cuts down primary forests in Canada

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Just because I like numbers...

To power all 435 000 homes in SK it would take 7,221,000 (16.6 per) solar panels.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I ain't the one whimpering that we'll have NO POWER at night on the Plains. I've been saying as long as this sporadic conversation's been going on that fossil will be part of the mix (a decreasing part) for years or decades to come.
I, TOO, am saying that we need a mix with a reliable base load, as opposed to OUR Canadian Gov’t & they’re unrealistic deadlines, and lack of ability to make any kind of new infrastructure happened like pipelines or Nuclear Power Plants that get bogged down in the regulatory bureaucracy and then the funding just goes to someplace else…
As far as your idiot government goes, I don't rightly see how you can pin that on me.
I am seriously not trying to pin the current Canadian goat rodeo of parliament on you, but stating its a thing that exists and needs to be dealt with…. with an eye towards reality and existing or soon to come online technologies as opposed to dilithium crystals which are still going to be farther away than 2035 I’m assuming, etc…

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I, TOO, am saying that we need a mix with a reliable base load, as opposed to OUR Canadian Gov’t & they’re unrealistic deadlines, and lack of ability to make any kind of new infrastructure happened like pipelines or Nuclear Power Plants that get bogged down in the regulatory bureaucracy and then the funding just goes to someplace else…

I am seriously not trying to pin the current Canadian goat rodeo of parliament on you, but stating it as a thing that exists and needs to be dealt with…. with an eye towards reality and existing or soon to come online technologies as opposed to dilithium crystals which are still going to be farther away than 2035 I’m assuming, etc…
Silly Ron. The dilithium crystals just focus the power. It's generated by matter-antimatter annihilation.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So, this started out about wood pellets for electrical generation in Britain’s largest power plant (responsible for 12% of the nations power), but here we are.

Electrical Storage. If we don’t have a consistent reliable base load for electrical generation like nuclear or natural gas, then we have to rely on wind or solar, and we have to be able to store that electrical energy until needed. Our (Our Current Canadian Federal Gov’t) is pushing for the carbon neutral green only sources of electrical generation…& heat, which might turn out to be the same thing….

Then we have Canadian winters. sure somebody’s gonna step forward and state that batteries function better in the cold, and all the power to them…. but the reality is that cold and batteries (I’m thinking Automotive) are a horrible mix.

(The man I know with a Tesla model three knows that his storage capacity drops by more than 80% in a Saskatchewan winter, and his range on a full charge drops to about 90 km…. at -35°C…. because so much of the battery‘s power is used to keep the battery warm and in its optimal temperature range.)

Now let’s take solar and wind energy produced during the day, and stored in electrical batteries for 1.2 million people (currently), and use that stored electricity to get them through a typical night up here between Mid-November & Mid-March. That’s where I was going earlier when I brought up the reality of our climate up here.

Yes, there is technology or at least will be that currently doesn’t exist, that can make us all warm and (not dead?) keep the water pipes from freezing in our homes and businesses though a Canadian Prairie night, but until it becomes a reality….we have to work with what we have.

Currently we are talking about small nuclear reactors out on the prairie, and we are a massive Reservoir of uranium here, but the regulatory process in Canada will drag this out for decades…. if it ever happens.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So, this started out about wood pellets for electrical generation in Britain’s largest power plant (responsible for 12% of the nations power), but here we are.

Electrical Storage. If we don’t have a consistent reliable base load for electrical generation like nuclear or natural gas, then we have to rely on wind or solar, and we have to be able to store that electrical energy until needed. Our (Our Current Canadian Federal Gov’t) is pushing for the carbon neutral green only sources of electrical generation…& heat, which might turn out to be the same thing….

Then we have Canadian winters. sure somebody’s gonna step forward and state that batteries function better in the cold, and all the power to them…. but the reality is that cold and batteries (I’m thinking Automotive) are a horrible mix.

(The man I know with a Tesla model three knows that his storage capacity drops by more than 80% in a Saskatchewan winter, and his range on a full charge drops to about 90 km…. at -35°C…. because so much of the battery‘s power is used to keep the battery warm and in its optimal temperature range.)

Now let’s take solar and wind energy produced during the day, and stored in electrical batteries for 1.2 million people (currently), and use that stored electricity to get them through a typical night up here between Mid-November & Mid-March. That’s where I was going earlier when I brought up the reality of our climate up here.

Yes, there is technology or at least will be that currently doesn’t exist, that can make us all warm and (not dead?) keep the water pipes from freezing in our homes and businesses though a Canadian Prairie night, but until it becomes a reality….we have to work with what we have.

Currently we are talking about small nuclear reactors out on the prairie, and we are a massive Reservoir of uranium here, but the regulatory process in Canada will drag this out for decades…. if it ever happens.
I think y'all should use firewood.

No, wait. . . no trees.

Well, shit.

Buffalo chips?

No, wait. . . no buffalo.

Double shit.

Guess y'all just gonna have to freeze.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
You live with it now, dipshit. Refinery fires? Oil-well fires? Building fires caused by natural gas leaks? Oil spills?
No I don't dipshit. Those instances are the result of safety issues and/or sparks. Lithium batteries can self-ignite all on their own. Do you understand the fucking difference? There's a goodam good reason cargo airliners will no longer ship lithium batteries and self-ignition is the ONLY factor as to why they won't. A load of batteries actually brought down a 747 within minutes of it taking off and the only source of ignition to the fire was the batteries themselves.
Oil and gas just don't spontaneously combust all on their own.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Spon·ta·ne·ous com·bus·tion
/spänˈtānēəs kəmˈbəsCHən/
1664923218584.png
noun
  • 1.the ignition of organic matter (e.g. hay or coal) without apparent cause, typically through heat generated internally by rapid oxidation.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No I don't dipshit. Those instances are the result of safety issues and/or sparks. Lithium batteries can self-ignite all on their own. Do you understand the fucking difference? There's a goodam good reason cargo airliners will no longer ship lithium batteries and self-ignition is the ONLY factor as to why they won't. A load of batteries actually brought down a 747 within minutes of it taking off and the only source of ignition to the fire was the batteries themselves.
Oil and gas just don't spontaneously combust all on their own.
Ah, I see. If you die from a spontaneously combusting battery, you're LESS DEAD than if you die in an apartment building fire caused by a gas leak.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think y'all should use firewood.

No, wait. . . no trees.

Well, shit.

Buffalo chips?

No, wait. . . no buffalo.

Double shit.

Guess y'all just gonna have to freeze.
Or use Natural Gas, which we have as a natural resource in plenty, and it burns cleaner in my 95% efficient furnace (for heat) than firewood, trees, & Buffalo Chips. There is also the potential for geothermal heat pumps in some places in the province.

For electrical generation we have some hydroelectric, coal (which the Trudeau government is sunsetting quickly) in abundance, which could be converted to natural gas generation(if Britain can convert theirs to wood pellets), a spattering of solar and wind, and the base load is covered for both heat & electrical.

The superconductors idea is actually a pretty good idea!! We run our households and businesses on AC power… but that AC can be converted to DC and a superconductor at -200°C or so can take DC power and convert it to magnetic energy in order to store it, and then that Magnetic energy can be converted back into DC power that can be inverted back to AC and Bob’s your Uncle…. unfortunately how much power is required to keep a super conductor at -196°C (I think) 12 months of the year in order to store electricity? We might be back into the same situation or worse than my buddy with the Tesla model three….. and that may not be practical yet but….. someday they might discover room temperature superconductors and then I could have my Jetsons flying car.

Wise

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Yeah, somebody definitely had to follow the company's truck to see how it picks up the forest and where it transports it and what is done with it. The whole process had to be seen to make sure what really happens. Need to see how the wood is really being used.