Dinning Alone

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia

About every three months I treat myself to a candle lit supper. Tonight was my night and if I do say so myself I out did myself tonight. I live in a tiny redone one car garage, no oven, Just a toaster oven and a microwave ( I NEVER cook in the microwave) Tonight I made Shrimp peelers with garlic butter and zuccinniand onions cooked in parmasian cheese and garlic. For dessert I made carrot cake with cream cheese frosting (from scratch) and topped it off with a carmel capaccino. Not bad and very yummy. Im always looking for easy recipes to spice things up. anyone have a few lying around?

Wado (thank you in cherokee)
Tam

Last edited:
Reactions: Andem

imaginarylion

May 6, 2006
It's really difficult trying to eat well when you're cooking for one, as I tend to experiment more when I have other people to cook for. I have a few recipes that I've managed to scale down, and a lot of stuff freezes really well, like soup and lasagne and tomato-based sauces for pasta.

Dining out alone is fun! Get a table in the corner, and wear black so you look mysterious...

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
LOL theres nothing mysterious about me, Im an open book :) I love soups too. Beef stew with tons of vegies and split pea with carrots, pearl onions and diced ham. Eating outs a bit expensive so I do the best I can at home. Not to bad if I say so myself :)

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Its a beautiful overcast spring day. Bit chilly. Practical magic playing. Im leaving in a few days for Texas then England. Veggies need cooked.....Beef Stew in the crock. Yes that will do.

Celery
carrots
beef cubes
broccli
onions diced

flour (I use Wondra)
spices

spice your flour and dredge your beef cubes in it. Pan sear the cubes in olive oil and add to the crock with all your chopped veggies......cook til thick and tender. IF you need a brothier soup add canned beef broth instead of water (I dont because I have hypertention and salts a no no)

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
And some crockpot applesauce

6 granny smiths

1/4 cup brown sugar

edit: 1/4 cup butter

cinnomin to taste (I like alot its a warming spice and Im ALWAYS cold)

nutmeg if you like

Put in crock with enough water to cover and cook on high til mushy

I leave skins on most dont like too

I might even splurge on a low carb vanilla icrean to toss it all over :)

Renée

Apr 3, 2006
Your recipes sound very creative. I have become a vegetarian recently and am trying to stay away more from highly processed food w/all the salt, sugars and chemicals while still trying to keep my choices fresh and interesting. So far I've had so-so luck but my hope is that if I keep at it eventually I'll get on a roll and start coming up w/my own creations. There is a lot of help out there thankfully w/the internet but I'm also very interested in creating my own dishes. Keep up the good work!

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Thank You Renee :) Iv found that the crock pot is an amazing tool for a single person. I truely love just tossing this or that into it and seeing what the results are lol and if you come across my picture you can see im not a starved woman lol. Theres a satisfaction to doing your own cooking, something about creating brings me closer to Goddess ;)

Oh and where are my manners!! WELCOME to Canadian Content Community :)

Namaste
Tam

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Renee heres something I just made for dinner (since the stew wont be ready till late). Its an itallian dish and one of my summertime favorites since the price of squash goes down.

4 squash sliced (any combination of zuccinni and yellow squash)

1 onion sliced into moon shapes
1 stick butter (I never use margerine in recipes)

season with your favorite italian spices (I use garlic, basil, oregeno, parsley, pepper) salt if you like I cant.

melt butter in frypan and pan fry until done. (the italian woman that gave me the recipe said to brown......I dont and I use the pan lid to work the veggies quicker kinda like half steaming. It takes a while so be patient with it its worth it. :)

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Looks like my trip to see my daughter graduate are cancelled. Her wonderful christain youth leaders have been stringing us along about paying for the trip. Tonight they told her I was a bad influence on her christian upbringing and that me and the ex fight to much. Anyone have a recipe for belladonna bread?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Here's another good one for the summer......

about one pound fresh green beans

one onion sliced in thin wedges

2 tomatoed sliced in thin wedges

fresh Basil

Fresh garlic minced

(seasoning is always to taste)

1/2 small bottle Italian zesty dressing (Ive used the new balsamic vinegerettes too)

saute onions in a touch of olive oil
Steam beans (I add a clove of garlic in the water)
Add everything together and toss. Serve at room temperature.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Nothing better to calm the nerves than the smell of fresh made sweetbread. You just cant cry when that smell permiates the house. Heres my secret recipe for bread machine sweetbread.........

in order

1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 Tbs butter
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp yeast

enjoy the calm

Toast and spead butter, honey, peanutbutter......your fav topping :)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Self:

Your recipies sound delicious.

Sorry about your trip.

Usually, after it gets worse, it gets better................karma.

Here's hopin fer ya.

Ugg. :D

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks Doll ;) It already has :) Im getting real good at cycling through negitive energy. My Fae Loves me emmensly and life is good.

Since we're on an aroma therapy kick how bout some home popped popcorn and tons of butter?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Flounder Fillets tonight :) I buy frozen and they arent that bad, they cook up fast and I get 2 meals out of one package.

easy peasy

salt with garlic, lemon pepper and ginger. Fry in 1 Tbs teriaki sauce and 1 tsp soysauce. Cook til done and add brocolli flowerettes steamed and brown rice using the same seasoning

ENJOY!

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Tonights one of those nights I wish one of you handsome men would come cook for me! ;) Im soooooo excited about my trip. Bags are packed and weighed. I bought throw away cameras and got all my meds refilled. Its helpful being Obsessive compulsive sometimes lol

Easy dinner tonight crab salad pockets

1 pound imitation crab meat pieced
2 stalks celery diced
onion diced to taste
ranch dressing (about 1/4 cup)

combine and stuff 1/2 a pita pocket (wheat)

easy peasy and after dinner knitting to calm the nerves.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Well Ive been dinning even more so alone as of late. I must first thank Andem for unbanning me, Ive really needed some of the friends I had made here as of late. My son Christopher died on May 25th 2006. I had posted here about his death and was within minutes banned. I may get banned again for just saying this. I hope not because I really enjoy the people here. I cant find the thread I started on Faith Discrimination. I was hoping to update that situation. I also wanted to thank my friend for being there for me through all of this. She calmed me down and helped me see it really wasnt about me. As Ruiz says "Don't take anything personally" I'll be posting at my friends house and from work. Im enjoying work emensely and Love the busy time. It keeps me from falling to pieces, which is why I missed having access to here. I have to think here its not all feelings its thinking too.

I ask Fae and Pan that I am able to stay on board.
So Mote It Be!
So Be It!

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
This was a really great salad we had at Lammas and quite the recipe in lue of the spinach scare.

Lammas Salad
1/2 yellow bell pepper
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 cucumber
1/2 red onion
1/2 box cherry tomatoes
1/2 red tomatoe
1/2 yellow tomatoe
1 can kidney beans (drained)
fresh oregano snipped
cover and toss with zesty italian dressing