Damaged Software Disk Recovery???

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
My daughter bought a palm pilot used and the software disk is scratched up a bit. I can't get the computer to read it, although it does register that there is info on it. I tried explore, autoplay and a few other things. I can't remember the DOS commands but is there a way to RUN and type something in to search for an exe on the disk? Is there a way to SEARCH the disk for files without knowing what the names of the files might be?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'm not sure it's been a while for this DOS baby but try Run, type CMD and click okay. Then type in your command?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I'm not sure it's been a while for this DOS baby but try Run, type CMD and click okay. Then type in your command?

I remember there was a command like e:/exe, but that doesn't work. Maybe I have the wrong command?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Is it something like E:/dir.exe, or if there are lots of files dir/o/p will let you view them a page at a time

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Is it something like E:/dir.exe, or if there are lots of files dir/o/p will let you view them a page at a time

Okay, just logging into her machine again to see if that works ... nope ... there also *.*, but I don't remember what that does either. I hardly need this stuff but today, it would be really useful.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
It means copy all files Ariadne, I think it's been a few years. DOS may reguire you to copy all files from the disk? All Dos files with EXE means executable files, i.e. a file you need to do something with ergo a command file.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
It means copy all files Ariadne, I think it's been a few years. DOS may reguire you to copy all files from the disk? All Dos files with EXE means executable files, i.e. a file you need to do something with ergo a command file.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried a few things ... pretty much everything I could think of ... but I think the disk is dead and we should just buy her a new one. I looked online, but the software is not available as a free download without the usual hoops of downloading some pirate stuff off the net and then scrounging around to make sure that it's clean, complete and can be authorized. We'll just have to make it an early Christmas gift.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Just DIR will show you the files.

DIR /? will show you the options on viewing files and directories (folders)

Just type HELP in dos to see a list of commands

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006

Thank you. I've packed up her laptop for now but will give it a try tomorrow.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006

Well, I tried that but it doesn't seem to get me any closer to seeing what's on the software disk or being able to get it working. DIR /S sure brings up a lot of info!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Well, I tried that but it doesn't seem to get me any closer to seeing what's on the software disk or being able to get it working. DIR /S sure brings up a lot of info!

Go to www.nero.com and download Nero burning ROM. Within that application try to do a disc copy function, if the disc is wrecked you will get an error message real quick. If it can read the disc you should be able to extract an image of the cd though.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Depending on which version of the Palm software you have, it may be available for download from the Palm website.

Check here: http://www.palm.com/us/support/

IF the software you need isn't there, the only other things I could recommend would be; purchase some CD-Repair cream/liquid to see if it can fill the scratch enough to be read, or, if you have or know someone with an older CD-ROM drive (preferably 12x, 18x, 20x or 24x), they are much better at reading scratched discs than the newer drives.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
All right. Thank you. I have a couple of laptops and only tried the disk in those ... but my desktop is an antique ... with an older CD drive. I'll try that first ... this evening. I will also try the nero option. Really appreciate the help.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Get new software

My daughter bought a palm pilot used and the software disk is scratched up a bit. I can't get the computer to read it, although it does register that there is info on it. I tried explore, autoplay and a few other things. I can't remember the DOS commands but is there a way to RUN and type something in to search for an exe on the disk? Is there a way to SEARCH the disk for files without knowing what the names of the files might be?

I had the same problem. I went to www.palm.com and downloaded the desktop software. It's free as why would you need it if you don't own their product. This also has the benifit of getting you the most updated version for your model.

Good Luck.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I had the same problem. I went to www.palm.com and downloaded the desktop software. It's free as why would you need it if you don't own their product. This also has the benifit of getting you the most updated version for your model.

Good Luck.

All right, we might be getting somewhere. Trying the disk on my antique computer didn't work, but my daughter has the machine and I gave her the link on palm.com that looks like it might be the right software ... most seem to be updates and add ons. Thanks.

nettoffee

Nov 2, 2006
Cakgary, AB
Please Ariadne remove the real name of Bob from you replay in "comming to Canada" wich I thank you very much on it he moght be in danger because this is his real name as fast as you can