Conservatives propose 9% hike to GST

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Trumpest Leftards.

Conservative leadership candidate Rick Peterson is proposing to reverse one of the party's central policies from the last decade and raise the GST.

Peterson, who filed his papers and joined the federal Conservative leadership race in time for the party's second debate in December, released more of his policy ideas earlier this week.

The Vancouver venture capitalist previously said he'd cut corporate income taxes to zero to promote economic growth and create jobs.

But his expanded economic plan, released Tuesday, goes against a promise that helped the Conservatives win power in 2006 under former leader Stephen Harper.

Peterson says he would reverse the two per cent cut Harper made to the Goods and Services Tax (GST) — and raise it even further, from its current five per cent to nine per cent.

Some economists questioned the wisdom of Harper's move to cut the tax at the time, calling the move regressive and pointing out that it added billions to Canada's deficit.

But it was politically popular for the Conservatives and an accomplishment they campaigned on for years.

Similar consumption taxes in other OECD countries with which Canada competes average about 19 per cent, Peterson's release noted.

Peterson said the revenue raised would be used to balance the budget within two years and pursue the "largest-ever" infrastructure building program in Canada's North.

Peterson, who demonstrated his bilingualism during the party's leadership debate last month in Moncton, will have the chance to elaborate on his ideas at next Tuesday's all-French debate in Quebec City.

Conservative leadership candidate Rick Peterson proposes hiking GST to 9% - Politics - CBC News

I agree with scrapping business taxes in principle, with exceptions made to net profit from alcohol, tobacco, lotto tickets, gambling, and non-renewable-resources for example.

I could even support increasing the tax on a business' net profits from these products and services to compensate for the general elimination of business taxes.

I could even support scrapping the GST altogether and again just increase the taxes mentioned above.

The GST, just like general business taxes, is too indiscriminate. Ideally, taxes should be high but avoidable, at least in principle.

An increase in consumption tax is not bad per se if it is compensated for by an equivalent cut to income taxes (revenue neutral). I would even support a full move to a higher gst and a complete removal of income tax. But it doesn't sound like what this guy is proposing. More breaks for big greedy corporations funded by the consumer. I would not be in favour of this proposal.

Who do you think pays business taxes in the end? It's the consumer.

The GST is also very cumbersome to manage. Most businesses automate it, but maybe not in all cases. some small startups taht don't have the money to automate immediately have to calculate a penny here and a penny there. We should eliminate such penny-collecting taxes and focus only on tax on net profit that involve simply writing one big check every year. It reduces overhead costs in collecting the tax, which saves both the consumer and the taxpayer money in overhead costs.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
When did you become a Dipper?

Don't kid yourself, Cannuck. Red Tories still pop up in the left fringes of the Conservative Party even today I'm sure. No need to swing all the way to the NDP to find them.

Heck, I voted for an NDP candidate last election (in spite of her party affiliation mind you) and I would like to see general business taxes scrapped. Meanwhile, I'm sure more than a few Conservative-Party voters support business taxes across the board.

I wouldn't even be surprised to find the odd social-corportist in the right-fringes of the NDP supporting scrapping business taxes.

You're simplifying things.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Conservatives propose 9% hike to GST

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Conservative leadership candidate Rick Peterson is proposing to reverse one of the party's central policies from the last decade and raise the GST.

...and that translates to "Conservatives propose 9% hike to GST"?

A solitary Conservative has suggested a 1% increase of the GST.

Please stop posting propaganda.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

...and that translates to "Conservatives propose 9% hike to GST"?

A solitary Conservative has suggested a 1% increase of the GST.

Please stop posting propaganda.

4% hike.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
If I understand your logic correctly, because I prefer to not eat meat, I'm therefore always wrong and everything I say or type should be considered wrong. Is that correct?
You're wrong when you're wrong. That's quite often.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
So am I wrong to say that a tax on businesses is a tax on consumers?

It's a tax on their employees who will probably earn less if their employers pay more. If the business is an exporter, It is a discouraging tax on our badly needed exports.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You kids are rotten at math.

A 9% increase on 5% is 0.0045%.

And even worse at English. "A" Conservative is singular not plural.