CityNews' Cynthia Mulligan reveals Stage 4 cancer battle

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
CityNews' Cynthia Mulligan reveals Stage 4 cancer battle
Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Publishing date:Jun 30, 2021 • 2 hours ago • 2 minute read • 5 Comments
CityNews' Cynthia Mulligan has announced she is once again battling breast cancer.
CityNews' Cynthia Mulligan has announced she is once again battling breast cancer. PHOTO BY CITYNEWS
Article content
Longtime CityNews on-air reporter Cynthia Mulligan has announced she is once again battling breast cancer.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The veteran Toronto TV personality revealed the news in a Twitter thread sharing that she had been diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer last December — 11 years after she first fought off the illness.

“The scariest words ever said to me were ‘You have cancer,'” Mulligan wrote as she announced she will be taking the summer off. “Now 11 years later I have heard words that are even more frightening. ‘Your cancer is back. Stage 4.’ I found out two days before Christmas and I admit it has taken time to process.”

Mulligan said that she has been part of a clinical drug trial for targeted chemotherapy since earlier this year and the treatment is having some success.

“The cancer is not progressing and in fact it has shrunk by 30%, so don’t count me out.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The multi-platform journalist, who won an Edward R. Murrow award for her series on Kicking Cancer — her first-person account of what it was like to suddenly be diagnosed with the disease — said she will take the next few months off “to slow down and just take care of me.”

“Time is the most precious thing any of us will ever have — and so are the people we love,” she continued. “I have my girls, my family, cherished friends and my partner Stef who is my rock and fills my heart with love. I’m going to celebrate and savour every moment.”

Mulligan said that because she has battled the disease earlier she is prepared to fight again, but added: “It’s harder because I have done this before.”

She pledged to “live every moment to the fullest” writing, “When I was 1st diagnosed with breast cancer I kept praying for 10 years so I could watch my two young daughters grow & fill them with a lifetime of mother’s love. I got those 10 years, I’m so grateful … The thought of leaving them now though breaks me, they still need their mom. I am determined to have many more years with them, I am so very proud of who they each are. I would go through this a million times more if it meant they didn’t have to.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Mulligan’s thread was flooded with wellwishers, including Ontario Premier Doug Ford, who wrote, “Cynthia, you are a true champion and fighter. You’ve beaten cancer before and we are with you during this new battle. I look forward to you holding my feet to the fire when you’re back at Queen’s Park in the fall.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also shared his support with a message that read, “Like so many others, Sophie and I are rooting for you, Cynthia. I think you said it best in one of your tweets: you got this.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Mulligan ended her thread asking followers not to see her as someone who is sick.

“See someone who is loving every second of this glorious thing we call life. I’m not living with cancer, it’s just hitching a ride on my amazing life.”

mdaniell@postmedia.com

stevehailey

Aug 10, 2022
This is such a heart-breaking news. I just found out about this. Could someone give me a quick update on his journey?