Cheney War Crimes: Just Look at the Statute

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
During what we called the cold war the U.S. tested over three hundred nuclear bombs. The Russians probably tested just as many. The U.S. and Russia kept the world on the edge for thirty years or so. There was a time when I wished the U.S. and Russia would just disappear. All the radioactive crap that these tests put in the air no doubt caused a lot of cancer and leukemia that wouldn't have occurred without the tests.

But yet you were an CAF pilot and pretty much contributed as Cold War Warrior.

The word at the time was that the Japanese were ready to surrender before the bombs.

Some members of the Japanese Diet wanted to surrender but they were not in the majority. The Japanese Military wanted to fight on. Some members of the Diet wanted to sue for a negotiated peace and not Unconditional Surrender. They were not ready to surrender. They flat out refused to adhere to the conditions of the Potsdam Agreement and wanted to end things in their favor. They wanted to have a cease fire under thier conditions, not even a surrender. Even after Hiroshima Japan refused to surrender and the Emperor was advised that the Americans do not have any more A-Bombs.

It was only after the second bomb in addition to the Soviet entry into the war that the Emperor finally ordered Japan to submit to the Potsdam conditions.

Even then a coup was attempted by the Japanese military to seize the Royal Palace, take the Emperor under guard and kill the members of the Diet that were calling for Japan's surrender. It was a bloody coup as well and some of the coup's objectives were achieved. The Emperor's direct intervention and other Japanese officers who refused to participate stopped it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
But yet you were an CAF pilot and pretty much contributed as Cold War Warrior.

Yeah no doubt. For a time our role was gonna change to a nuclear strike force. The idea was that we would fly into eastern Europe from our bases in west Germany to a pre-selected target drop our bomb and make our way home as best we could. I'm a little glad that didn't happen.

Quote: The word at the time was that the Japanese were ready to surrender before the bombs.

Some members of the Japanese Diet wanted to surrender but they were not in the majority. The Japanese Military wanted to fight on. Some members of the Diet wanted to sue for a negotiated peace and not Unconditional Surrender. They were not ready to surrender. They flat out refused to adhere to the conditions of the Potsdam Agreement and wanted to end things in their favor. They wanted to have a cease fire under thier conditions, not even a surrender. Even after Hiroshima Japan refused to surrender and the Emperor was advised that the Americans do not have any more A-Bombs.

I believe Roosevelt laid out the terms of surrender after Pearl Harbor. Unconditional surrender I believe he called it.

It was only after the second bomb in addition to the Soviet entry into the war that the Emperor finally ordered Japan to submit to the Potsdam conditions.

Even then a coup was attempted by the Japanese military to seize the Royal Palace, take the Emperor under guard and kill the members of the Diet that were calling for Japan's surrender. It was a bloody coup as well and some of the coup's objectives were achieved. The Emperor's direct intervention and other Japanese officers who refused to participate stopped it.
That's good info. I'd heard about the coup but I had no information on it.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
After Pearl Harbor FDR asked for a Declaration of War. At the Potsdam Conference the allies demanded Unconditional Surrender of the Axis Powers.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
During what we called the cold war the U.S. tested over three hundred nuclear bombs. The Russians probably tested just as many. The U.S. and Russia kept the world on the edge for thirty years or so. There was a time when I wished the U.S. and Russia would just disappear. All the radioactive crap that these tests put in the air no doubt caused a lot of cancer and leukemia that wouldn't have occurred without the tests.

The word at the time was that the Japanese were ready to surrender before the bombs.

Gallery of U.S. Nuclear Tests

Some Japanese were ready for surrender, unfortunately none were in a position to do so. The war would have dragged on, and how many more allied lives would have been lost conquering mainland Japan. The bombs were just the convincer.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Re #20.

Cheney has no more reason to "move his ass" anywhere, any more than William Jefferson Clinton would have to move his ass, for giving nuclear secrets to the Chinese and North Koreans.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Nobody of any importance is going to bring up charges against either Bush or Cheney. The radical left would like to, but it is over. Look, some of them are still fighting the election of 2000. If anyone ever does they will be dismissed.