Canadian Idol Fans Watching American Idol

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
Wait, what's boring? What? You think Lazaro is boring? I wanty to hug his brave courageous adorable face, and make him cookies!!!!!!!!!

:|

I can't believe you guys have written (and read) reams on this forum about the most incredibly banal trivia, remained steadfast despite invasions by trolls, withstood the crowning of mediocrities, etc., etc., and now you intend to bail, during one of the most EXCITING SEASONS EVER!!!!??? Is that what you're saying?

Okay, okay, it may not be the most exciting season ever. But. At least it's a mystery who's going to win, right? Other than it's someone without an Adam's apple. And we really couldn't say that about Season 10. We knew it was Scotty from the get-go. Which makes this season way more thrilling, don't you think? Don't you think? Don't you? You don't?? Oh.

The only thing making this season boring (other than the contestants, and the judges. And the themes. And the songs) ...is the fact that it's been so manipulated it has lost all the suspense and all the usual feeling of watching a more or less fair competition. Or even an unfair competition. It's basically NO competition.

People make a big deal of Lazaro still being there. Um, who cares? No guy is going to win, anyway (unless it's him). They're all good but not outstanding, cute but not spongeworthy - or whatever the criteria is. They're all going to go, anyway. Who cares about the order? No guy is going to stay around and prove how amazing he is and win. Lazaro and Burnell are left. Hello?

I normally would be hoping some guys would stay, just to screw with the manipulation, but I don't really want any of them to stay because I don't care about them. Which is exactly what the producers want me to feel. Damn it.

See, I just wrote a lot about nothing. It's not hard. lol Give it a try.

Idol is about competing. To me. It's not a show about listening to music for 90 minutes or two hours, it's about a road race, and with 10 great people it would be a road race. But this is a fixed race.

PS. And Colton songs really bad.

Last edited:

SleepinIn

House Member
Dec 24, 2008
That's true. If these are the best guy singers America has, the music industry has another problem to add to their current stack.

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
The guys have mostly been pretty young, too. Devin is only 18. Most of the male winners haven't been teens, only Scotty, and being a country artist seemed to help him somehow. Three of the four female winners were teens, on the other hand. What I'm saying is that young males don't seem to win too often. Not sure why, but often they don't seem experienced enough to be mature artists. The girls on Idol usually have less of a problem winning over the audience when they're young - it even seems to work in their favor.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Hi all, just droppin in for a minute or two. I have been working crazy hours so the PVR is in overdrive and just got to watch this weeks episodes last night. Here are a few comments in no particular order.

1- The boys are toast. I cannot believe Lazaro stayed ahead of Devin. D was almost made for motown and Laz basically sucked both in his solo and in his group.

2- Candice, Janelle & Amber are being pimped out soooo bad it isn't even funny. I am not a fan of Amber but she seems to be getting the royal pimp every week. I don't like country but even so after Janelle's performance this week I can at least see an artist.

3- I'm not sure why the judges have such a downer for Angie. She is obviously the best actual artist in the whole group. Maybe if she could do more of her original work she could shine a lot brighter. I almost feel like she is being held back, given bad advice, and getting unfairly criticized just so Jimmy can get the winner he wants to work with (Candice or Amber)

4- Nikki, Nikki, Nikki.....what can I say? I really want to slap this b*tch. She has done nothing for the show this year other than make me want to turn it off whenever she speaks. Her advice stinks and her comments are erratic and off the wall leading me back to that bad crack habit I suspect she has. She is a plastic, lifeless idiot without a braincell in her head and if she is back next year I won't be watching at all.

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
I think the judges and Jimmy have been right to be hard on Angie. I believe she has a lot of potential, but she's wasting it. Her performance last week was a disaster. And her recent performances before that haven't been that much better. I think she has a beautiful voice, but either she's getting terrible advice or she's making these bad decisions on her own (more probably a combination of both), but she's in trouble right now. I don't see how Jimmy wouldn't prefer to work with Angie over both Candice and Amber (Angie seems the most marketable to me), but at least Candice and Amber seem to have a pretty good idea of what works for them (even though it's super boring to me), while Angie is making these bad choices.

Oh and about Janelle. I don't see myself buying her music after this, but I LOVED her performance last week. Finally, some artistry on this season, exactly what has been seriously lacking on this season!! I hope she has more where that comes from.

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
I never really get all that annoyed by Nicki. She's the only thing on the show that isn't a snooze, at this point. Once in a while she says something I actually agree with, that seems to be a good spot analysis. I mean, yeah, she's rude, silly, crazy, and immature, and often wrong, but never boring.

I don't have to agree with someone's opinions to enjoy hearing them. For instance I have no idea why she thought Curtis was the best singer in the competition but I like that she felt/feels strongly about it and she is not faking it in any way. She reacts without worrying about how it will sound or look.

I'm not saying she's a great judge, but I have sat through so much lousy judging the past two seasons and this season the other three are not saying anything. It's like the adults on Charlie Brown cartoons.

So, missaddicted, were you disappointed Paul didn't sing Livin' On A Prayer? With Slezak, Paul seemed vulnerable. It's peculiar to me how "good" the singers are this season but there seems to be a soullessness. Not saying everybody, but... singing a song is telling a story, not just sounding good. As for his interview, he was really likable. I feel that to go far on Idol, or post-Idol, you need a will of iron, no matter how cute or casual you may be on the surface. Like Kris not cancelling any tour dates despite trauma, injuries, inability to play instruments, operations, doctor's orders. Determined. Or Jennifer Hudson or David Cook moving on in spite of personal tragedies. Paul seemed on the verge of tears during the whole interview and that's nothing I have any problem with, but how can it be good, in the music business? Then again, people grow. Not counting anybody out.

Angie? I can see why people would like her, but she seems pretty goofy and awkward. To me, anyhow. Since the start. She also seems to lack an interesting personality as a performer. Or else she hasn't been presented in a way that shows off what she's got, as a personality. Her singing reminds me a lot of Haley Reinhart, who I never thought was too great.

I can't say I loved Janelle - I know I was supposed to, everybody did. I kind of felt it wasn't original. It was better than she's done before, but, well, honestly I don't know why, it just didn't excite me a lot.

Last edited:

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
I just re-read large portions of the first six pages of this thread, which is roughly all of season 8 from the beginning to Top 5. I didn't realize how bad this current season is till I read all that.

Amazing how into this show we were. We were analyzing DialIdol graphs, watching YouTube videos of the contestants before they were on the show...in some ways, we did more homework than the judges. For sure.

We were talking a lot about the final season of CI, which had just happened. I was kind of amazed at some of the song choices on CI (vs. AI) - Hoobastank, Blind Melon, The Kooks, The Zutons, The Jayhawks, Big Wreck, Joel Plaskett, Ingrid Michaelson, Colbie Caillat, Bob Marley, Alison Krauss, to name some.

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
Sorry to be the one posting again, but if I don't post soon after I see the show, I can't remember anything.

I used to be able to watch an episode of this show without feeling like the first thing I want to do is criticize the show. This is no longer possible, and it may not be much fun to read. So, sorry in advance.

If I'm watching a performance competition show, with judges, and what I'm seeing on the stage is not reflected in their comments, it makes me frustrated. Some viewers rationalize it. "The judges don't want people to vote for him so they're not criticizing him too much." Whatever happened to honesty? What is a judge, anyhow?

I don't mind disagreeing with a judge as long as I feel they are judging to the best of their ability, not acting. As long as it's some kind of actual analysis of what has just happened. Not a totally dishonest and ridiculous spin, or avoiding the whole thing and pretending it never happened.

People say, "It's not about the judges." This is untrue because the format of the show is, people sing and they get critiqued by judges. It's about the contestants and the judges. If the singers don't sing, you don't have a show. Same with the judges, if they don't judge. It loses everything it's about, and why we watch.

Lazaro is getting on my nerves. Besides being bad, he's screwing up joint performances. He's not good enough, or he has learning problems. Whatever. I would quit before I would drag my costars down with me, or make them learn my words because they know I'm going to mess up. I would be embarrassed. He seems not to care.

I guess we've all worked with someone like this, they know they aren't competent but it's never stopped them. Others take up the slack and get frustrated, end up getting blamed for complaining (Devin), or screwing up, while the screw-up walks away unscathed. The others shouldn't be put through this any more.

My other complaint is obvious: No ballads? There were at least two, maybe three ballads. Unless my definition of ballad is different from Nigel's. The rules don't apply to everyone. An Idol specialty.

Unbelievably, the only person I thought was okay was Candice. Anyone ever notice Candice is a "dynamic" singer, but a very low-energy performer? Last night was no different, but Janelle, Kree, and Amber, for instance, had even lower energy. (Though Kree was ailing and is a PRO. lol)

There have been are no "Idol moments" for several seasons, but this season might be the prizewinner for non-moments.

Last edited:

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you said.

I would be totally ashamed if I was Lazaro. Instead, he seems to have developped an attitude. Maybe it's a defense mechanism, but I really hope for his sake and ours that he's voted out tonight. I thought Devin was absolutely right to complain and defend his work, I would be SO frustrated if I had to work with someone like Lazaro. I mean, okay, he might have some learning problems, but the producers should have to deal with that, not the other contestants.

I kind of enjoyed last night show, having the lowest of low expectations. Of course, it was ridiculous that Amber and Lazaro did ballads. Candice was good, but she always is, but it's always very boring to me. I guess I did excuse the low-energy on her broken toe, but broken toe or not, she's pretty much always low-energy as you said. I love Kree's voice, but she either has to ditch the high heels or learn to perform because, she's pleasant to listen to, but she's starting to bore me as well. Still, she was my favorite last night, just based on her amazing vocals. I thought Janelle had the most energy of all the girls, but the song was not that good. Amber has yet to prove to me that she can be anything else that a Whitney-type ballad singer. Angie was good, but it was mostly due to the great staging, and not to her connection to the song. Also, the girl should not try to be "edgy", it's just not working.

I think either Burnell or Lazaro will go home tonight. Anyway, if it's one of the girls, they'll absolutely save her, no matter which one it is.

Something else I want to add about Candice. The girl can sing, but I have to admit that I find her completely unlikable (in addiction to being a boring performer). I can barely watch her when she sings because she makes these snarling faces that just bother me to no end. I mean, that kind of face can be appropriate for rock week, but she ALWAYS has that face when she sings. I just can't connect with her because she shows me "snarling" instead of vulnerability. Also, in almost all the pre-performance cute videos with all the contestants, she pretty much came across as a bitch. I mean, during one of the packages when she's arguing with Burnell, I found her so irritating that I actually said "shut up" to my TV screen. I just can't root for this girl.

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
Haha, that is SO true about Candice - the snarling. Let's call it the bitch-face. Part of the reason I thought she was better last night was that I wasn't really watching her. lol. Yeah, that was mega, mega annoying with Burnell. Who I also find slightly annoying. But since he's gone gone gone, now, that's not a problem.

I'd like to give my impressions of the results show but I can't, I haven't seen one results show this season. I have to get my info from MJ.

I don't know why Lazaro is still there. People blame tweeny girls, but I don't think things are ever that simple. The judges should have given him harsh (realistic?) criticism long ago. Now he's too popular to stop. Eh. I give up.

Janelle and Burnell were bottom 2? I thought Janelle's number was pretty bad, not terrible, but lackluster and at the same time, dumb. Who stages these disasters? Didn't everyone (but me) love what she did last week? I mean, didn't she show power and artistry? So who suggested she do what she did this week? It reminds me slightly of when Kris closed the show with Ain't No Sunshine, and killed it, and the following week he was in the second spot again, singing in the pit. Do you think Idol pimps these dark horses only to sabotage them the following week?

I have been hard on Kree, missaddicted; though she's usually good, just not my style. But last night I thought she wasn't too good. She sounded good but she didn't get into that song, or maybe it doesn't work to perform a nice, clean vocal of a Janis Joplin song. Don't hate me. I don't get her appeal. She has talent, but she's also somehow forgettable, to me.

You're right, the show was sort of enjoyable, if you don't care that no one was really great, and the judges sucked. But it's true, I've seen worse, on this show.

Last edited:

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
You don't have to apologize about not liking Kree! She's my favorite from this season, but I don't think I'll ever listen to her after this. Well, I didn't think I would listen to P2 either last year, but I actually really enjoy his album. So who knows. Anyway, I don't like her enough to buy the songs she's doing on the show, her song choices have mostly been zzzzz.

LOL. I was shocked that Lazaro was in the top 3! And then I laughed! Let him win! Then all their machinations will have been for nothing! I laughed thinking about Nigel and Ken Warwick ripping their hair out after the vote last night, seeing that Lazaro was in the top 3, maybe he even was THE top vote getter! Seriously, I don't get why people actually vote for the disaster that are Lazaro's performances, but hey, maybe they'll learn that even though they put weak guys into the top 10, people still vote for them! Well, not all of them, since Lazaro is the only guy left, but now he'll get all the votes from people who want to vote for a guy!

Candice had major bitch-face when she saw that she wasn't in Keith, Nicki and Randy's top3s. And when she wasn't in the top 3 from the votes either. And then she had a major breakdown when Burnell was voted off. She should use that vulnerability when she performs. But at this point, I don't think I can get past the bitch-face.

Wow, I had forgotten how pretty Casey James is. But really, that's the only thing he has going for him, because his song was super boring, his voice was meh, and he still has that inexpressive face when he sings. I'm lying, he's also a damn good guitar player and he's very nice (he brought gifts to the contestants). And hey, I watched all of his performance, without fast-forwarding (it was to watch the pretty, but still!).

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
Wow, I had forgotten how pretty Casey James is. But really, that's the only thing he has going for him, because his song was super boring, his voice was meh, and he still has that inexpressive face when he sings. I'm lying, he's also a damn good guitar player and he's very nice (he brought gifts to the contestants). And hey, I watched all of his performance, without fast-forwarding (it was to watch the pretty, but still!).

I kind of liked him during Season 9. Actually I voted for him quite a bit. But I thought he wasn't very dynamic. I didn't know you thought he was pretty - I thought you hated him! lol. To be honest, his hair really annoys me. A lot. Don't even know why. That's a good point about the inexpressive face. The kind of music he does is not interesting enough for me, either - I'm so demanding. Has he improved since Idol, has all the performing made him different somehow?

LOL. I was shocked that Lazaro was in the top 3! And then I laughed! Let him win! Then all their machinations will have been for nothing! I laughed thinking about Nigel and Ken Warwick ripping their hair out after the vote last night, seeing that Lazaro was in the top 3, maybe he even was THE top vote getter! Seriously, I don't get why people actually vote for the disaster that are Lazaro's performances, but hey, maybe they'll learn that even though they put weak guys into the top 10, people still vote for them! Well, not all of them, since Lazaro is the only guy left, but now he'll get all the votes from people who want to vote for a guy!

I can't figure it out. It's not as if the female audience only wants to vote for guys, because they're voting for the girls, and eliminating the guys by not voting for them. Guys not named Lazaro, that is. No girl in the Top 10 has been voted off yet, right? In a way I can understand Lazaro being the most popular guy, because the rest seemed to be chosen for their dull, second-rate qualities. While Laz seemed to be chosen for his colorful second-rate qualities. I don't know why people vote, but nobody needs a reason. The reason doesn't need to be related to singing. Etc.

Hey, sorry, I'm too sleepy, I'll continue this soon.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Hi all. Just dropping in for a few minutes so....

I'm not sure why but I just can't seem to like Kree. I thought maybe she might turn me by doing Janis Joplin but then she came out with multiple sharp notes before she went flat at the end. I thought it was quite lackluster and had to question if the judges were watching the same show.

I find Amber to be boring as heck. She does have a great voice but I hated Whitney and I would hate Amber just the same.

I thought Brunell gave it a good try for someone so obviously out of place in the rock genre. There was something about this kid I liked and I am sorry to see him go.

Candice could 'sing the phonebook' and it would sound great but I am not sure if she is very marketable. I too noticed she was pissed at not being in the judges top 3 and when Lazaro was announced in the voter's top 3 I thought she was ready to commit murder...who can blame her.

Angie's performance was interesting and fun and was the only true 'rock' performance of the night. I like this girl lots....she has talent, artistry and legs that go on for miles only to make a perfect a$$ of themselves at the end. ;-)

Janelle gave it a go and I actually thought she didn't do too bad. She has far more charisma than C or A and she can sing. I was surprised to see her at the bottom.

Now for Lazaro....what can I say....the guy sucks! He forgets lyrics all over making others look bad and pay the price. He doesn't have a strong voice even when he is on the beat and on key. Other than the 'Ricky Ricardo' looks and what appears to be a sock stuffed in his jeans I have NO idea why anyone would vote for him unless it was to make him stop. I have really come to despise him both as an artist and as a person because he is lousy at both. My thought is he is getting the tween-age girl vote, the hispanic/latina vote and the sympathy vote which all combine to give him top spot.

I can only hope he actually wins so Iovine and the rest will turn it back into a singing competition instead of 'casting' the contestants and then trying to rig the winner through ridiculous judging and commentary.

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
]PoliticalNick - I can't tell sharp from flat. Just "bad notes."? Sharp is "above" the note, and flat is "below"?

Kree and her pinched nerve was a bit much from the judges (even on twitter). Maybe they're hoping the pinched nerve will do for her what kidney stones did for P2.

I've always been on the fence about Burnell. When I said he was annoying, I meant interviews - he has a cool voice - and he seems like a happy guy - he can put that across, on stage. I wouldn't have minded if he stayed around.

I'm on the fence about Janelle, too. I don't think we're always seeing her at her best, which would (maybe) be, down home country gal playing her guitar. A lot. She has personality but maybe she leaves too much of it offstage.

I think the judges always use the "sing the phone book" description on the wrong singers. To me it means being able to sing anything, even something as dull as the phone book, and make it entertaining, fascinating, or art. Candice can't sing the phone book - she's just a belter. Good at what she does, but I guess I don't have much need of it.

Angie just seems like too much, to me. She's a good singer (forces it a bit too much) and she's likeable. So why don't I really like her? Too big in every way, for me.

There's a lot of "too much but not enough" this season.

You didn't mention Amber's legs, they're pretty decent, as well. :) What I was finding fresh about her singing style has been ironed out the past couple of weeks (by Iovine?) and now she bores me. I don't think she sings as big as Whitney did, though. Whitney gave me a headache.

Last edited:

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
About Casey James: I don't think I ever "hated" him. I mean, yeah, I was not a fan at all, but he's not hateful, just boring. And I guess being deprived from the pretty this season made me look at him with new eyes ;-)

Speaking about hateful, sweet little Amber just tweeted to Slezak saying something like "Who are you again? Exactly." Ego much? Seriously girl! I mean, she's just a contestant on a talent show, he's a respected journalist and TV critic, so just because he said that he didn't like her outfit, she's giving him crap on twitter? Oh, and she also retweeted somebody that was saying that Slezak was being a douche. Seriously? Taking yourself so seriously at 18 or whatever age she is, it's not pretty or appealing. I don't always agree with Slezak's sometimes dubious opinions, but I've never called him a douche. And he's given Amber credit much more than he's been criticizing her. So, yeah, just tonight, I've gone from being bored by Amber to actively disliking her. I hope she's voted off, maybe it'll give her a bit of humility that she seems to completely lack.

Oh, BTW, Slezak's original tweet, which was: "I'm calling 911 to report whoever dressed Amber Holcomb in that mess." was not even tweeted to her, it didn't have her twitter handle in it, so she had to search it to find it. She searched her own name on twitter! What about working on your next song Amber so that you don't all bore us to death?

I may seem like I'm over-reacting, but we're just not talking about someone's voice here. We're talking about how she demonstrated her unappealing character on a very public medium. That and her "oh, I'm so hot, I take pictures of myself all the time" pre-performance video last week just remind me how pretty 18 year old girls think that the world is their bitch and that they can do what they want because they're hot (and yes, I've known girls like this). She's in for a rude awakening.