Canadian Idol Fans Watching American Idol

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
Tonight's show was on the dull side, to me. I'm not a huge fan of the Whitney Houston style of singing, which is maybe why I liked that kid who missed his guitar (Michael Perrelli, I think). Not that he sang great. No doubt he would have done better with the guitar. (Though why he didn't know the rules until the last minute and expected to play an instrument is weird. I'd think they must issue guidelines for auditions.) Anyhow he's the first human being I seemed to able to get interested in, and he sang the way a lot of 18 year olds who front bands these days sing. In a way I think AI is old fashioned since the style of music they're into was really hot fifteen years ago. CI dug up some people this year who were pretty much "today," and, aren't those the people who actually may go somewhere in the business and be actual Idols, rather than young Whitney and Mariah clones?

I agree with you on most of what you said. Tonight was really dull! I hope they're hiding some talent and keeping it for Hollywood (next week! finally!), because right now, I'm only interested in following maybe 3 or 4 out of all the ones we saw making it to Hollywood since the beginning of the season.

I'm also not a fan of the Whitney/Mariah clones, which is also one of the reasons I mostly prefer CI. Actually, I liked last year of AI (the talent that is), because the R&B was kept to a minimum, especially the "divas". Well, there was Syesha I guess. But, apparently, there were a lot of "big voices" during the previous seasons, so I think I would've found that very boring. But, R&B, or country for that matter (which I don't really like either), are really popular music styles in the US, even right now. I agree that AI is still old-fashioned is so many ways though.

The only one I liked tonight was Anne Marie. I didn't think she needed to come back and look more like a star. I liked that she was just very natural (and a natural beauty as well). The rest: very mediocre. And about Michael, I also wondered why they didn't put him through when they were putting through so many mediocre people. "Oh, she has a cute dog, let's put her through!" At least tonight, we didn't have a big sob story to conclude the episode.

The thing I hate the most about AI is the panel of judges. If it hadn't been for David Cook last year, I don't think I would've made it to the end. They just like to hear themselves talk (or sit in each other's lap I guess), but they often don't really care about the contestants. I really like Ryan though, almost as much as Ben.

Sorry, that was long!

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
I meant to add to my rant: why don't they allow instruments in AI auditions, anyway? I guess I never understood the idea of unaccompanied auditons in the first place. It's not like anybody's going to be singing a capella in the competition itself.

The only one I liked tonight was Anne Marie. I didn't think she needed to come back and look more like a star. I liked that she was just very natural (and a natural beauty as well).

I forgot about her for a minute. I also liked her naturalness and didn't think they made sense requesting her to "come back as a star," basically. Does everybody have to be a diva? That can get boring.

I'm not a big audition-show fan and I'm eager for the Hollywood stuff to start; I need to be able to focus on some individuals and see if I can find any to follow and root for.

The thing I hate the most about AI is the panel of judges. If it hadn't been for David Cook last year, I don't think I would've made it to the end. They just like to hear themselves talk (or sit in each other's lap I guess), but they often don't really care about the contestants. I really like Ryan though, almost as much as Ben.

The judges are what kept me from sticking with it in previous years. Don't know what you think of Kara, I haven't made up my mind about her yet. I haven't seen much of Ryan yet...seems as if Ben is featured in early episodes of CI more than Ryan is in AI's.

I haven't watched tonite's episode yet. I'm on Western time, yet I'll be sure to get back to ya with a response Ross1.

Okay, allywayzalwayz.

Reactions: In Between Man

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Tonight's show was on the dull side, to me.
Tonight was really dull!
I completely disagree!!! From what I seen, there is perhaps some amazing talent this year. I also seen a lot of really bad, but hilarious auditions.

Basically, when I'm watching AI, I have a smile or laff on my face the entire time. The editing job on that show is phenomenal in how it sucks you into the moment!

The problem is that they don't show enough! They parade all these strangers in the end with their golden tickets, and we didn't get to hear the audition. You know there is whole lot more they're not showing us! Even in the weirdo department.

It should be on longer (ie. 2 hours plus) and more frequent (every single frickin day)

We should get to see more freaks, people whose singing and social skills/graces are so neurotic/disconnected/absurd that it makes me uncomfortable as a viewer! Love that!

I can't believe you guys found the show boring. Let me tell ya, I've have honestly seen every single episode of both Canadian Idol and American Idol in every single season, and I think this season here is shaping up to be a really good one!

If you guys were true, hardcore fans like yours truly you, would have enjoyed tonite's glimpses into potential talent, and the lesser people who make us all feel better about ourselves:

The first contestant, Josh, who came in all "homie G" styles, and compared himself to Justin Guarini. He was pretty awesome Dawg!

Naimoi, the girl whose friend sat on Randy's lap. She was god-awful, and yet she thought her audition was the BEST she ever done! What a loser!

George Ramirez, the 18 year old with a full beard. Oh boy, where do I start! :roll: Talk about a serious lack of social graces! This kid misunderstood every statement or expression tossed his way. He was shaky, unconfident, seemed to hide his true self behind that beard. And then his singing :roll::lol: hehehehe jeez, what are you doing kiddo?! Your only wasting your time.

That Pirelli kid with the guitar. Not a terrible singer by any means, but man what a wimp. It's just a guitar man, let it go...

That T.K. guy who tried out last year, he was pretty talented.

Anne Marie, looking forward to hearing her again.

So yeah, more audition episodes, longer, more frequent, NOW!

Last edited:

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
We'll just have to agree to disagree alleywayzalways. The reason I enjoy the Idol shows is that they make me discover new talents, people whose music I would potentially buy. I don't watch for the trainwrecks, though it's true that they're sometimes funny. But, I would mostly like to watch only the talented people. The freaks and the deluded kids that we see during the auditions are not entertaining to me. Well, mostly, since it's way too easy to laugh at some of them. I can't wait until the end of the audition phase of the show though.

And if you consider that you're a more devoted Idol fan than me, then I don't have a problem with that. Three hours of AI this week are way enough for me!

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
We'll just have to agree to disagree alleywayzalways. The reason I enjoy the Idol shows is that they make me discover new talents, people whose music I would potentially buy. I don't watch for the trainwrecks, though it's true that they're sometimes funny. But, I would mostly like to watch only the talented people. The freaks and the deluded kids that we see during the auditions are not entertaining to me. Well, mostly, since it's way too easy to laugh at some of them. I can't wait until the end of the audition phase of the show though.

And if you consider that you're a more devoted Idol fan than me, then I don't have a problem with that. Three hours of AI this week are way enough for me!

yeah, that's cool. I understand the some find the auditions get old fast. I quite enjoy the further rounds as well. Hollywood week alwayz gives you further insight into your favorites, and new talent they haven't shown us yet.

And when you get to the top 10, that's when you come across those performances that bring a tear to your eye. :lol:

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
Well, tonight was a vast improvment over last night! Even if it was the festival of the sob stories.

David Osmond is pretty, but he was seriously cheesy. He started to sing and at once, I thought he sounded just like David Archuleta. So, yes, definitely "meh" about him. He wasn't bad, he had a pretty voice, but not my cup of tea.

I kind of liked Megan. I thought she was very likeable and her voice could grow on me. I'm curious to see what she does next.

Austin had horrible song choices, but I actually liked his voice. I'm not sure I want to see him all season long, but he was quite adorable. Rose was also very likeable and I wanted to like her singing, but I'm not sure I did.

I had to look on MJ's big blog to remind me about Frankie, because I had totally forgotten about her. She must not have been very memorable to me. I thought Taylor was also very bland, maybe in a few years she'll be better. Was she really only 16, I thought she looked like she was 23 or 24.

Anyway, tonight gave me a bit more hope for the season and I can't wait until we get to Hollywood week!

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008

The audition above was funny to me due to the judges'reactions; people trying not to laugh always makes me laugh. But what you say, missaddicted, is true. I find most of AI's clips of the deluded kids sad. It's a cheap shot. I don't laugh at people like this in real life, either. Every now and then a bad auditioner does strike me as hilarious. But personally I watch a show like this because I want to have the thrill of finding new people with talent.

I can't remember the names tonight...Austin: he had a nice voice, he was kind of bland personally. Seemed like a regular American kid. The blond girl with the tie-dye dress, or whatever...not a perfect singer but soulful, different (sort of). Sad backstory. I really did not like the way the girl who did the Show Boat song sang.
("Can't Help Lovin' That Man...") She was a pretty girl, they seemed impressed by that. Watching these auditions, I have to say I have no idea why some people who seem so mediocre are getting these incedibly positive reactions from the judges.

I missed the Osmond audition.

I keep thinking we just have to get through this so I can hopefully see what the judges see in some of these people, so they can be individuated in my mind and I can start to decide who I think is good or who isn't measuring up. That, to me, is what's fun about the show

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
It's a cheap shot. I don't laugh at people like this in real life, either.

I don't think it's a cheap shot at all, as these guys are totally willing to stand in front of the judges, the cameras and consequently millions of people.

So if one wants to embarrass them self, please do, it makes me feel better about myself, as I'm not in their position of audtioning, nor do I look like that, nor I am out on a completely different wavelength than the rest of society.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
We get a bonus thursday nite show with auditions from NYC and Puerto Rico!

- Sigh - They squeeze it into one short hour. :x

See what I mean? We don't get to see enough talent auditions, we can only scope out very few favorites from the start. :x

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
Spoilers for the top 36 are up at MJ's Big Blog or on Vote For the Worst. They're supposedly legit. There's a lot of cannon fodder, but I'm glad to see that pretty much all the ones I loved or really enjoyed during the auditions made it to the top 36. Well, there are also some that I didn't enjoy at all or already actively dislike, but I wasn't expecting anything else.

Tonight's show was really "meh", nobody stood out to me, except maybe Jorge, if he is able to sing more diverse types of songs. I was expecting to like Jackie, but after she pretty much destroyed "I'm Yours" (I'm a huge Jason Mraz fan), I wasn't a fan, even though her second song was better. We didn't hear a lot from Kendall Beard, but I thought she sounded a lot like Kristy Lee Cook from last season. Melinda was a ray of sunshine, but her voice sounded pretty weak to me. Same thing for Monique and Patricia.

I'm so ready for Hollywood week!

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
I thought this was a more entertaining episode for some reason.

I agree Jackie wrecked I'm Yours; her secong song was better, but her voice was good even if her audition wasn't. Nick "Norman Gentle" Mitchell ("Norman, please don't be funny") sang the beginning of Amazing Grace pretty well, but had to camp it up after just a few bars. Guy knows how to be an attention *****; I can't see this guy being the Idol, and to me he wasn't funny, just stupid. Melinda ("happy dancing naked in my room") Camile was just okay. The girl with the little brother: I wasn't sure about her singing, but she seemed sincere and modest and had a few other nice qualities, I liked her and was glad she made it. Monique and Patricia I'm forgetting already.

I don't like to read the spoilers so I'm gonna watch it unfold as it unfolds. We're goin' to Hollywood, baby. I'm stoked. Yeah!

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
Yay for Hollywood week!

My early favorite is definitely Danny Gokey. I love love LOVE his voice. I rewound my DVR an insane number of times just to hear him sing again. Anoop still rules of course. These two are the ones I'm most looking forward to follow right now.

Other than that, everything happened so fast that I'm not sure I really made my mind about all the others as of yet. I made a few observations though. Lil Rounds and Jackie Tohn still failed to impress me, Lil seemed really shaky and shouty and Jackie's voice is very rough. She's also bordering on annoying. I'm still really intrigued by Von, though I understand why so many don't like him, but I like his tone. I hope he stops being so over the top and just sings. Jasmine was better than during her audition, but she's not my cup of tea. Jorge is cheesy, but I like his voice. David Osmond is very pretty, but boring.

And yes, I admit I find Norman Gentle entertaining. He's going to be cut sooner than later, I guess.

Barry Manilow looked kind of scary...

Anyway, they kept 104 contestants out of the 147 and they gave second chances to some who maybe shouldn't have been so lucky (Rose comes to mind, and you know... Bikini Girl). I can't wait to see what happens with the group numbers!

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
Some of what I saw tonight reminded me of something Zack said when he was on VWTW radio, a while back. He said something like, on CI, they try to find a group of original performers with unique styles, and this has a bearing on who they send to Toronto. But on AI, they will choose, to go to Hollywood, the best r&b singer, the second best r&b singer, the third best, and the fourth best. I thought I saw some of that tonight. Some of the singers had very similar musical styles and tastes, all those runs, etc. And it was more a matter of choosing which one did the same sort of thing better, or best. On CI, many of those people, the second-bests and the third-bests, would never have gotten to Toronto in the first place. That makes CI much more interesting, to me.

I think Danny Gokey and Anoop (Dog) are the standouts so far. (We haven't heard them sing, much, yet, though. Hope we can, soon.) Von, or Vaughn, whatever his name is, wasn't as good tonight as I thought he would be. He seemed like he was trying a little too hard. Tomorrow, we hear from that showtune guy. I'm glad we're finally in Hollywood, anyhow. :cool:

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
I get what you're saying ross, but I'm not sure I agree completely. Maybe it's because we're missing CI, but I don't think we should forget that the judges were putting pretty mediocre people through also. Yes, they were putting through original contestants, but they were also putting through some people that made us wonder when the hell they were going to leave. But I agree with you on one thing: too much R&B and not enough diversity on AI this year. The conspiracy theorists would say that it's because the producers know what they're looking for even before the season and they're going to put through the contestants that fit the mold. For example, there's no male rocker this year (well, not really). Obvioulsy, they don't need one, since David Cook just won, and there's also Daughtry.