Canada Olympics

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
So far, from what I have seen Canada hasn't done too well in the Olympics, placing 8th in medal counts and some of the prized athletes failing to win.

However, I don't fault the athletes for this. Before we headed into the Olymipics, there was numerous sport channels and comments from the head of Canadian Athletes saying that we are the best no one can beat us, we will come home with 25 medals.

Now, they are saying, this is a gear up to 2010. So I think Canada has wonderful talent, and the athletes are doing the best they can, but the media and the sports heads of Canadian sports may have placed Canada's potential too high.

What do you guys think?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Now we only have 4 medals. I blame the people the Team Canada people who said we were the best of the best, we are almost in last.

Third place and at least 25 medals my butt.

However, don't think this is crticizing the athletes, I am crticizing the people who claimed we were the best, the coaches and the officials at the top.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Jersay

This is only the third day and it goes for another week. There is still time for Canada to shine.

Besides it isn't all in the winning - this is the opportunity of a lifetime for some of these young athletes.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Jersay

This is only the third day and it goes for another week. There is still time for Canada to shine.

Besides it isn't all in the winning - this is the opportunity of a lifetime for some of these young athletes.

I'm not faulting the athletes, they are havin a ton of fun.

But listening to Canadian olympic officials say for several weeks before the olympics that we have the best athletes, we will win it all, we will come in third, we will send psychologists to Turin to help the athletes etc, etc.

That is so frustrating because you get your hopes up.

The officials could of said, we've got a good team of athletes, we don't know what the medal count will be but we thing it will be a good showing.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
[Jersay

Well things are a bit different for many athletes in Europe - Japan and Russia - they are in the "athletic profession" just as we have professional hockey players and football players - they usually don't have to do anything but practice in their sport.

Whereas many of the western athletes have school, or jobs, or coaching in their field of sport. They have to do other things to support themselves between the World and Olympics events.

The athletes who have no other life (Russia, Japan and some European countries) seem very sad to me - as if they lose they will be treated poorly by their home country.... and the western athletes are treated like heros no matter if they win or lose.

Free to "lose" might even be considered another freedom we all have in the west. I dislike the "one winner" concept anyway, but it does make some athletes decide how serious they really are or if they should hang up their uniforms.

Isn't it strange democratic nations actually embrace the one "golden" winner structure of the games.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I just don't care. If they get medals, good for them. If they don't, that's still ok by me. Why should I feel pride to say "Wow, Canada has the best bobsledder in the world!" or shame if we don't?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Actually even since the ancient times when the Greeks were holding the Olympics it was all about winning. The only difference was that during the Olympics all wars ceased, even briefly, to compete in sport rather than war, amazing isn't it?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think not said:
They also engaged in man to man sex because having sex with a woman would preoccupy them too much, you listening to this Five? :p

LOL

8O

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Jersay said:
What do you guys think?

I can't think of a bigger waste of time and money. :D

Olympics, shlympics.....who frick'n cares....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It was more the unexpected that caught me.....now if the thread was named "The True Preoccupation of Greek Male Olympians" I would have known right away to expect these things.... :p

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Canada just won a gold and a silver medal in skeleton bogsleding. In total medals(11) they are in second place behind Norway and one medal ahead of the U.S. I don't think this is a permanent position but we have to enjoy it while we can.... :wink: :lol:

There was a shocker today as the Swedes knocked out the U.S. woman's hockey team. 3 -2 in a shoot out. If I was a betting man I could have gotten a hundred to one odds on that score.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
I guess we could, or even should, be the best winter sports nation, but competing at the Olympic level costs a lot, its very eliteist.

I am glad we are not just pumping money into turning all our potential into Olympic competitors. We probably have the biggest or second biggest talent pool for winter sports, Russia being larger but less prosperous.

Our competitors sacrifice a lot and they really have to love their sports.I think we do a bit more support, to let more Canadians do it, but its about right when the love is the key.

Mens hockey will turn around. Turin Around.

We got 4th in the prestigous downhill, I am proud of that one. Eric Guay. Yea!!
Like Rick Mercer said:
"Finishing just out of the medals for 114 years"

HEY, I just heard:
"There have been more injuries in Ice Dancing than any other event today"
It would be bad taste to say that that is Hilarious. Ok.