Canada 'not at its best, just at the moment'

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio, USA (for now...)
RE: Canada 'not at its be

Hello, my personal take?

ITN posted an article and quoted the headline and first paragraph to make it clear what the article said. Fair enough. It appears that Juan then happened to misread this as somehow being ITN's choice of words, rather than being verbatim from the article, and took a shot at ITN - who while he sometimes deserves it, didn't this time. But meanwhile, ITN got his hackles up because of Juan's reaction, and to the tune of some rather unusual cheering from the sidelines, the entire thread - which originated with a perfectly understandable observation on the part of a British journalist who is not even aware of this thread, no doubt - has rolled downhill. In short, I really don't think ITN was making any sort of personal attack on Canada by posting the article, and therefore I don't think it's necessary to attack U.S. politics in return, as they aren't germane to the topic and everyone already knows our politics down here are all effed up anyway.

Now then: where do we go next?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Paranoid Dot Calm said:
I wasn't offended by that article.

I love to hear what folks are sayin' about (me) Canada.

Could be my paranoia?

Calm

nor was I.......dot.calm.

it is an article that raises some valid points. and I too am receptive to feedback......both positive and negative. That is how one learns and improves.. No ostrich syndrome for this gal. :wink:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Nice job summer. But I will disagree with you with thinks motives. Regardless...either get back on topic everyone, or I will lock the the thread.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
I think the article is bang on; I would disagree with nothing written in the article. As for this brouhaha, about an American bringing it to the attention of this board, I do not see how his nationality has anything to do with it?

I mean, it was a story about a British Article by the Canadian Press. I mean all the ITN did was provide the link. I saw no reference or comparison to the "dysfunction" in the United States.

I don't get some folk on this site.

As for the article itself, we certainly are not at our best and haven't been for a very long time. This nation has a bad habit of constantly underachieving.

yballa09

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Rexburg, Idaho
good post itn, and a fair article. We canadians sometimes think we're at the top of our game because we compare oursleves to the US and their state of affairs, but in reality, this isnt the case. I still wouldnt pick any other country to live in in the world, but its humbling to get a dose of relaity of how things are here, and hearing from a different perspective is always interesting.