EU Membership
Dec 29, 2017
Europe

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Let's face it - USA will always be no better than # 2 to Canada so long as it persists in sending its best players to college rather than to major juniors like Canada does.

Note how in the USA-Canada match, my Yanks wilted in the third period - their legs just fell from under them. Meanwhile, Canadians played all 60 minutes with high energy, skating fast and furious all the way. The explanation for this is easy: NCAA allows limited practice time for collegiate players while there is no such limit for MJ players. Because of that, those players are in vastly superior shape and get far superior coaching.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Let's face it - USA will always be no better than # 2 to Canada so long as it persists in sending its best players to college rather than to major juniors like Canada does.

Note how in the USA-Canada match, my Yanks wilted in the third period - their legs just fell from under them. Meanwhile, Canadians played all 60 minutes with high energy, skating fast and furious all the way. The explanation for this is easy: NCAA allows limited practice time for collegiate players while there is no such limit for MJ players. Because of that, those players are in vastly superior shape and get far superior coaching.
Interesting perspective Gopher. But the US is really pumping out talent. It's pretty close right now. Heck US won last year.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Canada and United States work closer togheter in Soccer and Hockey of Sports league really math.

Many Yanks want the USA to win the World Cup in international football. But this will NEVER happen because, again, we persist in sending our best players to college whereas internationals send theirs to developmental programs where practice times are vastly extended.

Interesting perspective Gopher. But the US is really pumping out talent. It's pretty close right now. Heck US won last year.

Our population is ten times bigger and several of our players have dual citizenship. No surprise that we put up a strong fight every year. A fight we should be winning every year based on our population and resources.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
"Ice Hockey" ... This thread must have been started by a Brit.

Around these here parts, there IS only one kind of hockey.

We don't say "Tuna Fish" here either as most of us know that Tuna IS a fish.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Team Canada will advance to the quarterfinal after soundly beating Team Korea 4 zip. WAY TO GO TEAM CANADA! Not bad for a group of guys scrabbled together for the Olympics.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Canada's ice hockey ladies are off to the Gold Medal round soundly beating the OAR 5 zip. They will play the USA who beat the Fins.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I enjoy watching Can/USA games but women's hockey shouldn't be an Olympic sport. It's ridiculously uncompetitive.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Just finished watching the Team Canada vs Team Finland game. Our guys - journeymen they call them - won by a single goal. I watched several of the team play in the Spengler Cup which Canada won again this past year. Gotta say that no matter what the final ending is, I am pretty proud of these guys especially since they were cobbled together just for the Olympics. Canada will face Germany in the semi-final - I wish them all puck luck. Go Canada! :canada:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Was pretty surprised to Germany beat Sweden.

That is probably a good omen!

Anyway, the traditional woman's Canada USA bloodbath could be as least as interesting.

The Americans have to win or POTUS will send them a "LOOZAH" tweet at 4:00 AM.