Canada Does About Face on AstraZeneca Vaccine, Citing Blood Clot Concerns

Phoenyx

Nominee Member
Apr 25, 2020
I thought this was good news. AstraZeneca's vaccine was getting bad press before it was even released as an "experimental" vaccine. Glad Canada's finally followed the example of around 20 countries on this...

After previously defending AstraZeneca’s COVID vaccine, Canadian health officials on Monday suspended its use in people 55 and under, pending outcome of a detailed risk-benefit analysis.

Canadian health officials on Monday suspended use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID vaccine for people under age 55 following concerns the vaccine might be linked to rare blood clots, according to U.S. News & World Report.

“There is substantial uncertainty about the benefit of providing AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines to adults under 55 given the potential risks,” said Dr. Shelley Deeks, vice chair of the National Advisory Committee on Immunization.

According to ABC News, Deeks said the committee updated its recommendations amid new data from Europe suggesting the risk of blood clots is now potentially one in 100,000 — much higher than the one-in-1-million risk stated before.

Most of the patients in Europe who developed a rare blood clot after vaccination with AstraZeneca were women under age 55, and the fatality rate among those who developed clots is as high as 40%.

Full article here:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I thought this was good news. AstraZeneca's vaccine was getting bad press before it was even released as an "experimental" vaccine. Glad Canada's finally followed the example of around 20 countries on this...

After previously defending AstraZeneca’s COVID vaccine, Canadian health officials on Monday suspended its use in people 55 and under, pending outcome of a detailed risk-benefit analysis.

Canadian health officials on Monday suspended use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID vaccine for people under age 55 following concerns the vaccine might be linked to rare blood clots, according to U.S. News & World Report.

“There is substantial uncertainty about the benefit of providing AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines to adults under 55 given the potential risks,” said Dr. Shelley Deeks, vice chair of the National Advisory Committee on Immunization.

According to ABC News, Deeks said the committee updated its recommendations amid new data from Europe suggesting the risk of blood clots is now potentially one in 100,000 — much higher than the one-in-1-million risk stated before.

Most of the patients in Europe who developed a rare blood clot after vaccination with AstraZeneca were women under age 55, and the fatality rate among those who developed clots is as high as 40%.

Full article here:
Do we know the problem is with the vaccine and not the patients? I'm a patient who is on warfarin to prevent blood clotting, along with thousands of other patients who have in the past suffered with Atrial Fib. Under certain condition it can recur, luckily I've had no recurrence in nearly a year BUT that not to say I won't at some point. Anyway the point I'm trying to make is , if I was vaccinated with AstraZeneca and happened to have a blood clot, it might be irresponsible to blame it on the vaccine. :)

Phoenyx

Nominee Member
Apr 25, 2020
Do we know the problem is with the vaccine and not the patients? I'm a patient who is on warfarin to prevent blood clotting, along with thousands of other patients who have in the past suffered with Atrial Fib. Under certain condition it can recur, luckily I've had no recurrence in nearly a year BUT that not to say I won't at some point. Anyway the point I'm trying to make is , if I was vaccinated with AstraZeneca and happened to have a blood clot, it might be irresponsible to blame it on the vaccine. :)

No, but you may find the following interesting (also from the article):
Although many European countries resumed using the AstraZeneca vaccine, Norway has not lifted its restrictions on the vaccine’s use after two independent research teams in Norway and Germany identified antibodies associated with the immune response that caused the type of blood clots experienced by some people who received the vaccine.

That seems to be saying that the vaccine is causing the blood clots. Honestly, I think Canada should fully suspend the vaccine, not just suspend it for people under 55, but I'll take what I can get.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

It's not good news at all (for Canada, more on that in a minute).

The vaccine was getting bad press before because the EU, bitter of Brexit and still throwing a tantrum over it, attacked the vaccine and said it's not fit for purpose. This is despite the fact that the WHO and Europe's medical agency the EMA are urging people to take the Oxford vaccine because it is safe.

As for the blood clots, there is no evidence whatsoever that the Oxford vaccine causes blood clots and there is no rise anywhere in the world of blood clots above the usual, normal, levels.

Millions of people have been vaccinated by the Oxford vaccine on the UK and there are no problems whatsoever as far as I know.

Canada has fallen for the EU's dirty games and is believing what the tantrum-throwing EU is saying rather than what the WHO and EMA are saying.

And this is dangerous for Canada: the EU scaremongering over the Oxford vaccine has led to a sharp increase of people in France and Germany not wanting to take ANY vaccine as a result, and this is likely going to severely delay those countries out of lockdown and back to normality. The same could now easily happen in Canada. All whilst Britain is just racing ahead with its vaccination programme with no problems and is already starting to ease out of lockdown.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's not good news at all (for Canada, more on that in a minute).

The vaccine was getting bad press before because the EU, bitter of Brexit and still throwing a tantrum over it, attacked the vaccine and said it's not fit for purpose. This is despite the fact that the WHO and Europe's medical agency the EMA are urging people to take the Oxford vaccine because it is safe.

As for the blood clots, there is no evidence whatsoever that the Oxford vaccine causes blood clots and there is no rise anywhere in the world of blood clots above the usual, normal, levels.

Millions of people have been vaccinated by the Oxford vaccine on the UK and there are no problems whatsoever as far as I know.

Canada has fallen for the EU's dirty games and is believing what the tantrum-throwing EU is saying rather than what the WHO and EMA are saying.

And this is dangerous for Canada: the EU scaremongering over the Oxford vaccine has led to a sharp increase of people in France and Germany not wanting to take ANY vaccine as a result, and this is likely going to severely delay those countries out of lockdown and back to normality. The same could now easily happen in Canada. All whilst Britain is just racing ahead with its vaccination programme with no problems and is already starting to ease out of lockdown.
Hey Blackleaf - Was it you who not so long ago, told us that Covid is a hoax? Sorry if I'm mistaken, but if I'm not then these vaccines have to be a red herring! Agreed? ;)