can anybody advise re the best areas to live in alberta and how are the schools/colle

carpenter dave

Nominee Member
Sep 10, 2009
england
if were successful in our move wede like to know the best areas to live and hows the education am i right in thinking the kids go to school until their 18

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
if were successful in our move wede like to know the best areas to live and hows the education am i right in thinking the kids go to school until their 18
Carpenters can pretty much work anywhere - right? I don't know how much bldg. is happening in Edmonton right now. There are lots of people on here far more qualified to answer that one.
I think the first thing you have to decide is - How big a city do you want to live in? Vancouver for example is large and expensive. Toronto is bigger and also expensive. You need a city because small towns are not doing enough carpentry work right now. You need to know what type of climate you are seeking and will be happy in. If you don't mind the very cold winters you will get in Alberta, Sask, Manitoba or Ontario - you may want to look there. Parts of BC are also very cold. I live on Vancouver Island. It will be very similar to the climate you are used to. Lots of people from Britain move here for that reason alone. It rains here. Not near as much as many people think but we are surrounded by ocean and it does rain. There are only 2 larger cities on Vanc. Island. Nanaimo and Victoria. Campbell River would be next but I don't think there is too much being built there these days. Remember that in the really cold climates, much of the bldg. closes down for the winter.
School year starts the day after our Labour Day which is the first Monday in September. Today is day 2 of the school year. Depending on one's birth date they will either finish school in their 17th or 18th year. Next year in 2010, in the province of BC, Kindergarten will be all day rather than the half day it is now. I guess that will help cut child care expenses.