Billingualism: EVER HEARD THIS PERSPECTIVE???!!!!!

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
I'm with you, no1importan

I do agree, though! The more languages, the better. That's why I speak English, Spanish, Tagalog (Filipino) and some French. OK, a little bit of Italian also. So much for the ignorant "know it all yank" theory that others have thrown.

And I'm sure that you, living in BC, can imagine that Chinese is suited to obtain official status in Canada within decades. Not that it is guaranteed, but it isn't too far-fetched.

And when that happens, maybe I'll learn Mandarin and Cantonese, too (although that may be a bit harder with the new character set).

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
I'm with you, no1importan

I do agree, though! The more languages, the better. That's why I speak English, Spanish, Tagalog (Filipino) and some French. OK, a little bit of Italian also. So much for the ignorant "know it all yank" theory that others have thrown.

And I'm sure that you, living in BC, can imagine that Chinese is suited to obtain official status in Canada within decades. Not that it is guaranteed, but it isn't too far-fetched.

And when that happens, maybe I'll learn Mandarin and Cantonese, too (although that may be a bit harder with the new character set).

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
hmmm...how is that different than thinking two provinces represent all of Canada Someone ? French is an important part of Canada because the voygeurs helped to open up western Canada.

Oddly enough when I was growing up in Winnipeg the school I was with offered English, French and Ukranian as option for Junior high. In Senior high Spanish and German were offered as well. Although they had cut the programs before I got into high school Latin was also offered. The basics were taught in Eglish, but you were required to take another language as part of your curriculum. It didn't have to be French.

I think most regions end up serving in whatever language the community(ies) need Where I work (in Washington) we offer service in Spanish, but we try to offer service in as many languages as possible. ( Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Russian, German, French...) That's what the community demands, the advantage is our store builds a larger customer base because it offers these services.

As for Missles comments... I think it reflects what a lot of Canadians resent and that is it is their country and they will run as they see fit. After all, how would you feel, someone, as a Californian, if say, China, Japan, Cuba or Russia et al, began making suggetion on what Californians should do?

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
hmmm...how is that different than thinking two provinces represent all of Canada Someone ? French is an important part of Canada because the voygeurs helped to open up western Canada.

Oddly enough when I was growing up in Winnipeg the school I was with offered English, French and Ukranian as option for Junior high. In Senior high Spanish and German were offered as well. Although they had cut the programs before I got into high school Latin was also offered. The basics were taught in Eglish, but you were required to take another language as part of your curriculum. It didn't have to be French.

I think most regions end up serving in whatever language the community(ies) need Where I work (in Washington) we offer service in Spanish, but we try to offer service in as many languages as possible. ( Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Russian, German, French...) That's what the community demands, the advantage is our store builds a larger customer base because it offers these services.

As for Missles comments... I think it reflects what a lot of Canadians resent and that is it is their country and they will run as they see fit. After all, how would you feel, someone, as a Californian, if say, China, Japan, Cuba or Russia et al, began making suggetion on what Californians should do?

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
You do have a point, Zenfisher. I would, however, say that it depends on what the issue is. Because, and I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging, but from many of the conversations I've had with many people from Canada, I feel as if I know more about their country than they do. I mean, you should hear conversations I've had with many of the people I know up there.

Although many of the people I know up there are Asian people who see the world as more than just Canada and USA, or than just English and French.

No matter where you are, though, there will always be a resenter. Having been around a lot of Asian people many times here in California, I know that they resent a lot of things that go on around them, not so much by the majority, but by the more domineering (yet sometimes smaller in number) minorities.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
You do have a point, Zenfisher. I would, however, say that it depends on what the issue is. Because, and I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging, but from many of the conversations I've had with many people from Canada, I feel as if I know more about their country than they do. I mean, you should hear conversations I've had with many of the people I know up there.

Although many of the people I know up there are Asian people who see the world as more than just Canada and USA, or than just English and French.

No matter where you are, though, there will always be a resenter. Having been around a lot of Asian people many times here in California, I know that they resent a lot of things that go on around them, not so much by the majority, but by the more domineering (yet sometimes smaller in number) minorities.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
Besides, when you think about it, it seems as if Mexico has already told us what to do a hundred times over. Some of it is not cool, in my opinion, but some of it makes sense.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
Besides, when you think about it, it seems as if Mexico has already told us what to do a hundred times over. Some of it is not cool, in my opinion, but some of it makes sense.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004