Billingualism: EVER HEARD THIS PERSPECTIVE???!!!!!

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
Let me speak as a Californian who has been to Canada a few times and has seen different faces of billingualism. But before I do, let me pose this question. Is Canada really all that billingual, especially when you think about Alberta and BC?

As many of you from Canada may now, we have our own second language here in California: Spanish. We were once part of Mexico, now we are the destination of millions of Mexicans who come here annually looking for a new life. Of course, Mexicans aren't the only Latinos who move north, and not only to California either. There are Latinos everywhere in the United States. Back to California, now though:

In many areas, all documents are written in both languages. Spanish is definitely a second language in most of California. There are places where it ties with English for first, or is even more common than English. In areas like San Francisco, where Chinese is second, Spanish is at least third. In schools, bathrooms, public documents, both languages are commonly found. Yes. And this is just going to keep on growing, as the Mexican and otherwise Latin American population keeps expanding. There's already more Latin Americans in the USA than black Americans (and both populations are larger than Canada's total). The large Mexican population in California has made our population larger than yours as well. So we REALLY need Spanish. At least there's practical meaning in shoving it in people's faces here.

In comparison, French has virtually NO NEED in much of Canada. parts of Eastern Ontario, the southern Atlantic region, Winnipeg area, and of course, anywhere in Quebec, French has virtually no use. In fact, it's less than a second language in many areas.

My dad has a brother in Vancouver and my mom has second cousins in Edmonton. They are from the Philippines. Think about how they must feel about billingualism. They see it as useless that French be required everywhere when they don't even deal with Francophones enough to learn French. If there is any second language that would come in handy for them, it would be Chinese.

But yet, the Canadian government and many Canadian people insist in the English-French dual existence. They don't seem to acknowledge how far down French is on the usage scale in the areas other than the ones I mentioned above. Spanish in California has probably 10,000 times greater significance than French in Alberta of BC, yet while the Californian and American public want these Latinos to learn English, the tiny Francophone groups in Alberta and BC don't have to learn English, thanks to the whining and moaning of millions of Francophones thousands of miles away. Imagine that the Chinese in Vancouver are encouraged to learn English, but the French aren't? Where's the logic in that??!!!

Look, nothing against English, Spanish, or French (I speak Spanish very well and French more or less), but we're talking about good representation here, not obsolete ideals. And until we can understand where our present and future are, I really don't think either society can move forward.

By the way, go try to force French down the mouth of a Chinese immigrant in BC or Alberta. I DARE YOU! You'll have more success putting Spanish in the faces of their relatives here in California.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
Let me speak as a Californian who has been to Canada a few times and has seen different faces of billingualism. But before I do, let me pose this question. Is Canada really all that billingual, especially when you think about Alberta and BC?

As many of you from Canada may now, we have our own second language here in California: Spanish. We were once part of Mexico, now we are the destination of millions of Mexicans who come here annually looking for a new life. Of course, Mexicans aren't the only Latinos who move north, and not only to California either. There are Latinos everywhere in the United States. Back to California, now though:

In many areas, all documents are written in both languages. Spanish is definitely a second language in most of California. There are places where it ties with English for first, or is even more common than English. In areas like San Francisco, where Chinese is second, Spanish is at least third. In schools, bathrooms, public documents, both languages are commonly found. Yes. And this is just going to keep on growing, as the Mexican and otherwise Latin American population keeps expanding. There's already more Latin Americans in the USA than black Americans (and both populations are larger than Canada's total). The large Mexican population in California has made our population larger than yours as well. So we REALLY need Spanish. At least there's practical meaning in shoving it in people's faces here.

In comparison, French has virtually NO NEED in much of Canada. parts of Eastern Ontario, the southern Atlantic region, Winnipeg area, and of course, anywhere in Quebec, French has virtually no use. In fact, it's less than a second language in many areas.

My dad has a brother in Vancouver and my mom has second cousins in Edmonton. They are from the Philippines. Think about how they must feel about billingualism. They see it as useless that French be required everywhere when they don't even deal with Francophones enough to learn French. If there is any second language that would come in handy for them, it would be Chinese.

But yet, the Canadian government and many Canadian people insist in the English-French dual existence. They don't seem to acknowledge how far down French is on the usage scale in the areas other than the ones I mentioned above. Spanish in California has probably 10,000 times greater significance than French in Alberta of BC, yet while the Californian and American public want these Latinos to learn English, the tiny Francophone groups in Alberta and BC don't have to learn English, thanks to the whining and moaning of millions of Francophones thousands of miles away. Imagine that the Chinese in Vancouver are encouraged to learn English, but the French aren't? Where's the logic in that??!!!

Look, nothing against English, Spanish, or French (I speak Spanish very well and French more or less), but we're talking about good representation here, not obsolete ideals. And until we can understand where our present and future are, I really don't think either society can move forward.

By the way, go try to force French down the mouth of a Chinese immigrant in BC or Alberta. I DARE YOU! You'll have more success putting Spanish in the faces of their relatives here in California.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004

jensonj

Jan 29, 2005
CENTRAL CANADA
In 1971, Canada was the first country in the world to adopt multiculturalism as an official policy. By so doing, Canada affirmed the value and dignity of all Canadian citizens regardless of their racial or ethnic origins, their language, or their religious affiliation. The 1971 Multiculturalism Policy of Canada also confirmed the rights of Aboriginal peoples and the status of Canada's two official languages.

Canadian multiculturalism is fundamental to our belief that all citizens are equal. Multiculturalism ensures that all citizens can keep their identities, can take pride in their ancestry and have a sense of belonging. Acceptance gives Canadians a feeling of security and self-confidence, making them more open to, and accepting of, diverse cultures. The Canadian experience has shown that multiculturalism encourages racial and ethnic harmony and cross-cultural understanding, and discourages ghettoization, hatred, discrimination and violence.

Mutual respect helps develop common attitudes. New Canadians, no less than other Canadians, respect the political and legal process, and want to address issues by legal and constitutional means.

Through multiculturalism, Canada recognizes the potential of all Canadians, encouraging them to integrate into their society and take an active part in its social, cultural, economic and political affairs.

All Canadians are guaranteed equality before the law and equality of opportunity regardless of their origins. Canada's laws and policies recognize Canada's diversity by race, cultural heritage, ethnicity, religion, ancestry and place of origin and guarantee to all men and women complete freedom of conscience, of thought, belief, opinion expression, association and peaceful assembly. All of these rights, our freedom and our dignity, are guaranteed through our Canadian citizenship, our Canadian Constitution, and our Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Multiculturalism has led to higher rates of naturalization than ever before. With no pressure to assimilate and give up their culture, immigrants freely choose their new citizenship because they want to be Canadians. As Canadians, they share the basic values of democracy with all other Canadians who came before them. At the same time, Canadians are free to choose for themselves, without penalty, whether they want to identify with their specific group or not. Their individual rights are fully protected and they need not fear group pressures.

Our diversity is a national asset. Recent advances in technology have made international communications more important than ever. Canadians who speak many languages and understand many cultures make it easier for Canada to participate globally in areas of education, trade and diplomacy.

Multiculturalism is a relationship between Canada and the Canadian people. Our citizenship gives us equal rights and equal responsibilities. By taking an active part in our civic affairs, we affirm these rights and strengthen Canada's democracy, ensuring that a multicultural, integrated and inclusive citizenship will be every Canadian's inheritance.

Respecting our Differences

Canada's experience with diversity distinguishes it from most other countries. Our 30 million inhabitants reflect a cultural, ethnic and linguistic makeup found nowhere else on earth. Approximately 200,000 immigrants a year from all parts of the globe continue to choose Canada, drawn by its quality of life and its reputation as an open, peaceful and caring society that welcomes newcomers and values diversity.

Diversity has been a fundamental characteristic of Canada since its beginnings. At the time of European settlement there were more than 56 Aboriginal nations speaking more than 30 languages. As the French and then the English colonized Canada, treaties were signed that acknowledged Aboriginal nationhood. Linguistic duality was enshrined in law at the earliest stages of the development of the Canadian federation. At a time when it was accepted practice to establish sovereignty through war and cultural domination, there were enough Canadians who believed in the virtues of accommodation and mutual respect to ensure that, with some exceptions, Canada would develop peaceably and the foundations of its diversity would be preserved.

This does not mean that there aren't tensions in Canada that flow from the differences between people. But as these tensions are addressed, Canadians learn to adapt and relate to one another despite their differences. Through practice, we have come to understand that the differences between us do not have to divide us. This encourages citizens who face common challenges to step forward and claim their right to full participation in Canadian society. As a consequence, Canada's concept of what constitutes diversity is expanding. Diversity is moving beyond language, ethnicity, race and religion, to include cross-cutting characteristics such as gender, sexual orientation, and range of ability and age. The same approaches that have helped Canadians develop into a bilingual, multicultural society are now also helping to bring down other barriers that prevent individuals from reaching their full potential.

A broad framework of laws and policies supports Canada's approach to diversity. At the federal level, these include the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Canadian Human Rights Act, the Employment Equity Act, the Official Languages Act, the Pay Equity Act and the Multiculturalism Act. Provinces and territories also have laws, human rights commissions and programs that promote diversity. Finally, Canada reinforces its commitment to diversity as a signatory to international conventions including, for example, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.

However, making equality of opportunity meaningful in a diverse society requires more than constitutional measures and legislation. All levels of government in Canada deliver programs that mobilize communities to promote dialogue and help people overcome barriers to their participation in society.

"Canada has become a post-national, multicultural society. It contains the globe within its borders, and Canadians have learned that their two international languages and their diversity are a comparative advantage and a source of continuing creativity and innovation. Canadians are, by virtue of history and necessity, open to the world." -the Right Honourable Jean Chretien, Prime Minister of Canada, June 2000

Canada's future depends on maintaining and strengthening its capacity to bring together peoples with many differences--even grievances--and building a peaceful society where no one's identity or cultural heritage should have to be compromised. Canada's approach to diversity is based on the belief that the common good is best served when everyone is accepted and respected for who they are, and that this ultimately makes for a resilient, more harmonious and more creative society. This faith in the value of diversity recognizes that respect for cultural distinctiveness is intrinsic to an individual's sense of self worth and identity, and a society that accommodates everyone equally is a society that encourages achievement, participation, attachment to country and a sense of belonging.

"It is my deepest hope that Canada will match its new legal maturity with that degree of political maturity which will allow us to make a total commitment to the Canadian ideal. I speak of a Canada where men and women of Aboriginal ancestry, of French and British heritage, of the diverse cultures of the world, demonstrate the will to share this land in peace, in justice, and with mutual respect."-the Right Honourable Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, April 17, 1982

jensonj

Jan 29, 2005
CENTRAL CANADA
In 1971, Canada was the first country in the world to adopt multiculturalism as an official policy. By so doing, Canada affirmed the value and dignity of all Canadian citizens regardless of their racial or ethnic origins, their language, or their religious affiliation. The 1971 Multiculturalism Policy of Canada also confirmed the rights of Aboriginal peoples and the status of Canada's two official languages.

Canadian multiculturalism is fundamental to our belief that all citizens are equal. Multiculturalism ensures that all citizens can keep their identities, can take pride in their ancestry and have a sense of belonging. Acceptance gives Canadians a feeling of security and self-confidence, making them more open to, and accepting of, diverse cultures. The Canadian experience has shown that multiculturalism encourages racial and ethnic harmony and cross-cultural understanding, and discourages ghettoization, hatred, discrimination and violence.

Mutual respect helps develop common attitudes. New Canadians, no less than other Canadians, respect the political and legal process, and want to address issues by legal and constitutional means.

Through multiculturalism, Canada recognizes the potential of all Canadians, encouraging them to integrate into their society and take an active part in its social, cultural, economic and political affairs.

All Canadians are guaranteed equality before the law and equality of opportunity regardless of their origins. Canada's laws and policies recognize Canada's diversity by race, cultural heritage, ethnicity, religion, ancestry and place of origin and guarantee to all men and women complete freedom of conscience, of thought, belief, opinion expression, association and peaceful assembly. All of these rights, our freedom and our dignity, are guaranteed through our Canadian citizenship, our Canadian Constitution, and our Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Multiculturalism has led to higher rates of naturalization than ever before. With no pressure to assimilate and give up their culture, immigrants freely choose their new citizenship because they want to be Canadians. As Canadians, they share the basic values of democracy with all other Canadians who came before them. At the same time, Canadians are free to choose for themselves, without penalty, whether they want to identify with their specific group or not. Their individual rights are fully protected and they need not fear group pressures.

Our diversity is a national asset. Recent advances in technology have made international communications more important than ever. Canadians who speak many languages and understand many cultures make it easier for Canada to participate globally in areas of education, trade and diplomacy.

Multiculturalism is a relationship between Canada and the Canadian people. Our citizenship gives us equal rights and equal responsibilities. By taking an active part in our civic affairs, we affirm these rights and strengthen Canada's democracy, ensuring that a multicultural, integrated and inclusive citizenship will be every Canadian's inheritance.

Canada's experience with diversity distinguishes it from most other countries. Our 30 million inhabitants reflect a cultural, ethnic and linguistic makeup found nowhere else on earth. Approximately 200,000 immigrants a year from all parts of the globe continue to choose Canada, drawn by its quality of life and its reputation as an open, peaceful and caring society that welcomes newcomers and values diversity.

Diversity has been a fundamental characteristic of Canada since its beginnings. At the time of European settlement there were more than 56 Aboriginal nations speaking more than 30 languages. As the French and then the English colonized Canada, treaties were signed that acknowledged Aboriginal nationhood. Linguistic duality was enshrined in law at the earliest stages of the development of the Canadian federation. At a time when it was accepted practice to establish sovereignty through war and cultural domination, there were enough Canadians who believed in the virtues of accommodation and mutual respect to ensure that, with some exceptions, Canada would develop peaceably and the foundations of its diversity would be preserved.

This does not mean that there aren't tensions in Canada that flow from the differences between people. But as these tensions are addressed, Canadians learn to adapt and relate to one another despite their differences. Through practice, we have come to understand that the differences between us do not have to divide us. This encourages citizens who face common challenges to step forward and claim their right to full participation in Canadian society. As a consequence, Canada's concept of what constitutes diversity is expanding. Diversity is moving beyond language, ethnicity, race and religion, to include cross-cutting characteristics such as gender, sexual orientation, and range of ability and age. The same approaches that have helped Canadians develop into a bilingual, multicultural society are now also helping to bring down other barriers that prevent individuals from reaching their full potential.

A broad framework of laws and policies supports Canada's approach to diversity. At the federal level, these include the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Canadian Human Rights Act, the Employment Equity Act, the Official Languages Act, the Pay Equity Act and the Multiculturalism Act. Provinces and territories also have laws, human rights commissions and programs that promote diversity. Finally, Canada reinforces its commitment to diversity as a signatory to international conventions including, for example, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.

However, making equality of opportunity meaningful in a diverse society requires more than constitutional measures and legislation. All levels of government in Canada deliver programs that mobilize communities to promote dialogue and help people overcome barriers to their participation in society.

"Canada has become a post-national, multicultural society. It contains the globe within its borders, and Canadians have learned that their two international languages and their diversity are a comparative advantage and a source of continuing creativity and innovation. Canadians are, by virtue of history and necessity, open to the world." -the Right Honourable Jean Chretien, Prime Minister of Canada, June 2000

Canada's future depends on maintaining and strengthening its capacity to bring together peoples with many differences--even grievances--and building a peaceful society where no one's identity or cultural heritage should have to be compromised. Canada's approach to diversity is based on the belief that the common good is best served when everyone is accepted and respected for who they are, and that this ultimately makes for a resilient, more harmonious and more creative society. This faith in the value of diversity recognizes that respect for cultural distinctiveness is intrinsic to an individual's sense of self worth and identity, and a society that accommodates everyone equally is a society that encourages achievement, participation, attachment to country and a sense of belonging.

"It is my deepest hope that Canada will match its new legal maturity with that degree of political maturity which will allow us to make a total commitment to the Canadian ideal. I speak of a Canada where men and women of Aboriginal ancestry, of French and British heritage, of the diverse cultures of the world, demonstrate the will to share this land in peace, in justice, and with mutual respect."-the Right Honourable Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, April 17, 1982

jensonj

Jan 29, 2005
CENTRAL CANADA

jensonj

Jan 29, 2005
CENTRAL CANADA
Minority Language Educational Rights
Language of instruction 23. (1) Citizens of Canada

a) whose first language learned and still understood is that of the English or French linguistic minority population of the province in which they reside, or
b) who have received their primary school instruction in Canada in English or French and reside in a province where the language in which they received that instruction is the language of the English or French linguistic minority population of the province,
have the right to have their children receive primary and secondary school instruction in that language in that province.
Continuity of language instruction (2) Citizens of Canada of whom any child has received or is receiving primary or secondary school instruction in English or French in Canada, have the right to have all their children receive primary and secondary school instruction in the same language.
Application where numbers warrant (3) The right of citizens of Canada under subsections (1) and (2) to have their children receive primary and secondary school instruction in the language of the English or French linguistic minority population of a province

a) applies wherever in the province the number of children of citizens who have such a right is sufficient to warrant the provision to them out of public funds of minority language instruction; and
b) includes, where the number of those children so warrants, the right to have them receive that instruction in minority language educational facilities provided out of public funds.

jensonj

Jan 29, 2005
CENTRAL CANADA

a) whose first language learned and still understood is that of the English or French linguistic minority population of the province in which they reside, or
b) who have received their primary school instruction in Canada in English or French and reside in a province where the language in which they received that instruction is the language of the English or French linguistic minority population of the province,
have the right to have their children receive primary and secondary school instruction in that language in that province.
Continuity of language instruction (2) Citizens of Canada of whom any child has received or is receiving primary or secondary school instruction in English or French in Canada, have the right to have all their children receive primary and secondary school instruction in the same language.
Application where numbers warrant (3) The right of citizens of Canada under subsections (1) and (2) to have their children receive primary and secondary school instruction in the language of the English or French linguistic minority population of a province

a) applies wherever in the province the number of children of citizens who have such a right is sufficient to warrant the provision to them out of public funds of minority language instruction; and
b) includes, where the number of those children so warrants, the right to have them receive that instruction in minority language educational facilities provided out of public funds.

jensonj

Jan 29, 2005
CENTRAL CANADA

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: : EVER HEARD THIS PERSPECTIVE???!!!!!

I think Canada should have 4 official Languages. Here on the west coast I would say English is #1 followed by Punjabi and Mandarin or Cantonese then maybe French way down the list.

The Mallardville area of Coquitlam is the only French community I know of. The reality is French is number 4 or even #5 out here. I know in the Newton area of Surrey where I live English is probley #2 after Punjabi.

Thats why we should have 4 or 5 official languages. We are a truly Multicultural society, which is awsome in my opinion. :D

But then is there enough room on the cereal box for 4 or 5 languages?:wink:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

I think Canada should have 4 official Languages. Here on the west coast I would say English is #1 followed by Punjabi and Mandarin or Cantonese then maybe French way down the list.

The Mallardville area of Coquitlam is the only French community I know of. The reality is French is number 4 or even #5 out here. I know in the Newton area of Surrey where I live English is probley #2 after Punjabi.

Thats why we should have 4 or 5 official languages. We are a truly Multicultural society, which is awsome in my opinion. :D

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
Hey no1 important, at least someone is on the same page as me. When I went to church (Catholic) in Surrey last July, I saw that they offer masses in Polish and Spanish. What about French, eh?

I guess I've never been to Coquitlam (though I do know that it is east of New Westminister). French does go close to the bottom there, doesn't it?

There isn't quite that much room for 4 or 5 languages on a cereal box, juice carton, or can of vegetables, but still, there can be a try.

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004
Hey no1 important, at least someone is on the same page as me. When I went to church (Catholic) in Surrey last July, I saw that they offer masses in Polish and Spanish. What about French, eh?

I guess I've never been to Coquitlam (though I do know that it is east of New Westminister). French does go close to the bottom there, doesn't it?

There isn't quite that much room for 4 or 5 languages on a cereal box, juice carton, or can of vegetables, but still, there can be a try.