Bilingual in Canada

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: "All provinces should become bilingual"

French is barley a blip out here in BC except for maybe Mallardville area of Coquitlam. Punjabi, manderian and cantonese are used 1000 times more in BC than french ever will.

Proud_to_be_English

Dec 21, 2004
Fredericton, New Brunswick

I was referring to the acadians in NB, not the quebecois, thank you, learn the distinction. Speaking as someone who has worked for the federal government in Fredericton, I am aware that English is the mostly spoken language. It seems learning french is simply a way to create a larger concentration of ethnic french individuals. English speaking peoples in Fredericton are less likely to learn french because the fact is it is a minority entity in the city and rarely heard. Most of the television shows and other media outlets that are popular are either from the USA, UK, Ontario or Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia has only one official language but there are plenty of acadians there. Does that mean they are being "put in their place" or discriminated againt? Hanging onto "the good old days"? No, it is simply the majority of people speak English, which is also the case in NB, yet here there is much more hatred of English by the minority acadians and thusly they wish to gain power to perhaps take what they see as "Acadie" back. They have no interest in bi-lingualism whatsoever, it is purely in francophoizing NB. I have met so many university students from UNB and STU (perhaps one of the only things that keeps English alive in Fredericton, the Universities) who mostly say they are planning to move outside of NB to find jobs because there simply isn't any for English speakers even with degrees. Even when you are bi-lingual your chances of competing against and getting a job as opposed to that job being given to an ethnic acadian or through nepotism are slim.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Re: "All provinces should become bilingual"

Paranoid Dot Calm said:
What about owning the pineapple distribution centers in Quebec?

There would be a lot of French speaking folks upset over losing the pineapple topping on their pizza.

One time I worked for a food manufacturing company and which manufactured pie fillings.

Quebec was the only province that ordered rhubarb and strawberry pie filling.

Calm
That's one tasty pie,my friend!

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Re: RE: "All provinces should become bilingual"

Proud_to_be_English said:
Perhaps the British expelled the acadians from this part of the world because they had prophetic visions of present day NB.
I don't know which category to put you into: the board bigot or the resident idiot! You wouldn't be named James Webb,would you?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

No ,but thanks anyway! Your kind is too easy a target, and no challenge. I am just going to forget you ever existed. Maybe you should move to the States with your own kind..

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Province perdue du Canada, Louisian

I was referring to the acadians in NB, not the quebecois, thank you, learn the distinction. Speaking as someone who has worked for the federal government in Fredericton, I am aware that English is the mostly spoken language. It seems learning french is simply a way to create a larger concentration of ethnic french individuals. English speaking peoples in Fredericton are less likely to learn french because the fact is it is a minority entity in the city and rarely heard. Most of the television shows and other media outlets that are popular are either from the USA, UK, Ontario or Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia has only one official language but there are plenty of acadians there. Does that mean they are being "put in their place" or discriminated againt? Hanging onto "the good old days"? No, it is simply the majority of people speak English, which is also the case in NB, yet here there is much more hatred of English by the minority acadians and thusly they wish to gain power to perhaps take what they see as "Acadie" back. They have no interest in bi-lingualism whatsoever, it is purely in francophoizing NB. I have met so many university students from UNB and STU (perhaps one of the only things that keeps English alive in Fredericton, the Universities) who mostly say they are planning to move outside of NB to find jobs because there simply isn't any for English speakers even with degrees. Even when you are bi-lingual your chances of competing against and getting a job as opposed to that job being given to an ethnic acadian or through nepotism are slim.

As an Acadien in exile in Louisiana, I know the pain of being a Francophone, I have seen the discrimination practiced upon the the Cajun (Acadien) by the Anglophone! I was cursed in Moncton and told that this was not Dieppe! Sorry, but we have taken the cr*p long enough, our ancestors were driven from our land, our farms burned, our people killed in the name of "ethnic cleansing" which is the late 20th century name for the "Derangement" in which we found ourselves living in Louisiana. The Acadiens that live in Nova Scotia have told me about discrimination and mistreatment, too. Here in Louisiana, discrimination was practised upon the Acadien in horrible ways, we were punished in school if we spoke in French, made to kneel in rice, had our hands whipped and given punish work. Well, with the Anti-discrimination laws which helped the blacks gain their voting and civil rights helped the Acadiens gain their freedom to speak French and be educated in French! We now educate our children in English and FRENCH, defend our right to carry on our culture and no, we did not blend into the so-called 'Melting Pot" but are still ACADIAN!

Is there "hatred" for the English? Well, if your ancestors had been treated shabbily, would you feel so inclined? I don't even see Canada trying to make amends since we are "French Neutrals" and our legal status should allow us to choose our abode, free immigration and the right to return to our ancestral lands.

Nous fieron que parler francais.

ACADIE VIE!

Proud_to_be_English

Dec 21, 2004

My ancestors were persecuted and slaughtered by the Romans in what is modern day Germany. I have no quarrel against Italian people. Clinging to such absurd historical grudges only makes your bias that much more clear.

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004

missile said:
Perhaps the British expelled the acadians from this part of the world because they had prophetic visions of present day NB.
I don't know which category to put you into: the board bigot or the resident idiot! You wouldn't be named James Webb,would you?

We did not go quietly into the night.

Le Acadie VIE!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Would you please move the Acadian VS. Anglo-Maritimers chatter to it's own thread? These forums were not designed to be monopolised by one discussion across multiple threads.

Regards

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004

So, we get down to the truth, you agree that a little "Ethnic Cleasing" was a good thing!

The British just wanted the good land and farms the Acadiens had made for themselves! The Acadiens did not go off into the night and die, we will return and reclaim our heritage! It seems that there is no statue of limitations on "Ethnic Cleansing" and our birthright will be restored! SO GO AND HIDE UNDER YOUR BED,
THE ACADIENS ARE COMING.

Proud_to_be_English

Dec 21, 2004

There is no such thing as a "birthright"...the only thing that comes close is the Aboriginals whos land was originally taken by both the British and French settlers. I'm sorry but your reasoning is far out of date, try something a little more relevant to the century we're living in.

Proud_to_be_English

Dec 21, 2004

And don't presume to tell me that the acadians aren't guilty of secular ethnic cleansing today...just look at places like Bathurst, Edmundston and Grand Falls where the English speaking population has been practically driven out.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario

Martin Le Acadien said:
Is there "hatred" for the English? Well, if your ancestors had been treated shabbily, would you feel so inclined? I don't even see Canada trying to make amends since we are "French Neutrals" and our legal status should allow us to choose our abode, free immigration and the right to return to our ancestral lands.

ACADIE VIE!

I sympathize with you sentiments, however the "English of this generation, shouldn't have to pay for the crimes of the previous generations. Wrongs have been committed by all sides, no sense in living in the past.

Exactly what would you like the government of Canada to do? The British Crown, not the government of Canada, exiled the Acadians.

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004

DasFX said:
Martin Le Acadien said:

ACADIE VIE!

I sympathize with you sentiments, however the "English of this generation, shouldn't have to pay for the crimes of the previous generations. Wrongs have been committed by all sides, no sense in living in the past.

Exactly what would you like the government of Canada to do? The British Crown, not the government of Canada, exiled the Acadians.

My dear Sir, the Canadian Government is the successor to the Government of Great Britian and all of her right, title and interest which the Great Britian owned in North America were vested in Canada just as the US is the successor to Great Britian in the former 13 colonies and had to assume all liabilities which Great Britian had.

Recognize the Acadiens as belonging to the areas from which their ancestors came and allow them to immigrate freely. No money, no land return, just an apology and set the record straight.