Biden considering killing Line 5 pipeline, cutting crucial energy link to Eastern Canada

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Coal from Montana and Wyoming is shipped into Canada to shipping ports in lower BC for transport to Asian countries, all we have to do is to stop this transport train and this will put a lot of people outta work in Montana and Wyoming. This will get Biden’s attention.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada should not rely on a pipeline through a foreign country for its energy needs.
I understand the logistics as to why line 5 is run where it is, but I totally concur with you assessment of the situation for this exact reason. Running a new (like Canada can actually complete a new pipeline?) pipeline above the Great Lakes would be much more expensive than using the route Line 5 runs.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I understand the logistics as to why line 5 is run where it is, but I totally concur with you assessment of the situation for this exact reason. Running a new (like Canada can actually complete a new pipeline?) pipeline above the Great Lakes would be much more expensive than using the route Line 5 runs.
Yes but what you have now is the risk you take by saving those $$$.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well, with the way things are now, any large (national scale) infrastructure project is pretty much impossible to complete.
If line 5 is shut down, then the only answers for the eastern provinces is the importation of oil and fossil fuels from other nations (the USA, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Venezuela, etc…) &/or the nationalization of the Newfoundland offshore oil fields for eastern Canadian consumption, ‘cuz that worked so well the last time a Trudeau tried that….
(In Canada, the NDP propped up Pierre Trudeau’s minority government between 1972 and 1974, only to see the number of their MPs cut in half at the next election, but those that don’t learn from history are faced to repeat it)

The ability isn’t there to get more Western Canadian oil to eastern Canada than is currently being transported without more pipeline capacity (& then remove line 5) and it’ll be a long winter where Michigan & Biden do what Ralph Cline only threatened to….so it’ll be increased rail transport (‘cuz we know that’s much safer & environmentally friendly compared to a pipeline) bumping other commodities (Wheat, Lentils, Canola, Lumber, etc…) in place of oil to feed Quebec & Ontario….which can be held up by 100 people or less in Mohawk country and held for ransom….& nothing of any consequence will come to them if/when that happens again next. It’ll be the perfect shit-storm & only economic hardship and protest in the upper Eastern US will change anything for the better for eastern Canada.

A New N.E.P. by a new(er) Trudeau but focused East at Newfoundland instead of West at Alberta & Saskatchewan won’t increase Liberal support federally in the Maritimes….but who gives a shit ‘cuz it’s only a handful of votes that’ll be made up easily in the GTA alone. I know it’s not a rosy outlook but it’s my prognostication & I’m wrong as often as I’m right.

With Quebec’s distain for pipelines (from Western Canada anyway), they can seal up crude in five gallon pails in Newfoundland and float them like driftwood by the millions up the St Larry Seaway past Quebec for all it matters and still Quebec will claim it’s entitlement to 61% of them ‘cuz they’re distinct and special, etc…

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Here’s old news before Biden wades in. The same Biden that’s begging Saudi Arabia to open the taps, but he owns the Michigan Governor a woke favour:

Without this pipeline, Ontario would be about 45-per-cent short of the crude oil it requires, according to Enbridge Inc. Line 5′s supply is used, among other things, to produce gasoline and diesel for Ontario as well as 100 per cent of the jet fuel used at Pearson International Airport.

The pipeline from Michigan is also a critical source of supply for the Line 9 pipeline that runs from Ontario to Quebec and provides 40 per cent to 50 per cent of the crude oil that is used by Quebec refineries to make gasoline and other fuels.

Mr. Henry said a shutdown could cause significant layoffs of refinery jobs in Sarnia, Ont., and would also be a blow to Western Canadian crude producers. “It would not only hurt Alberta, but Saskatchewan would find it very challenging to transport its crude.”

Analysts say a shutdown would force Ontario and Quebec to find other sources of crude oil for refining and import this petroleum by rail or truck or ship – a potentially more dangerous and environmentally damaging method of transport. Oh well, it’s not like Trudeau banned shipping of oil off the East coast of Canada ‘cuz Tofino is on the West Coast. Be grateful the surfing in eastern Canada isn’t better I guess.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
What? Quebec loves fossil fuels, just not Canada's fossil fuels. Note how the Quebec govt hasn't made a move to throttle their own refining industry.
If they’re going to just dump raw sewage into the Saint Lawrence on a regular basis, then what’s the risk of a 100% or more increase in oil shipping from overseas mean in the big scheme of things? That’s soooo much more Woke & Green than a pipeline from Western Canada and national energy Independence, right?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Coal from Montana and Wyoming is shipped into Canada to shipping ports in lower BC for transport to Asian countries, all we have to do is to stop this transport train and this will put a lot of people outta work in Montana and Wyoming. This will get Biden’s attention.
Unfortunately that would play right into Biden's hand. He wants to ban coal already. It would be far better to shut down the Alaska highway and prevent Alaska bound cruise ships from using the inside passage. This we should do anyway, since no cruise ship leaves any money on the parts of the coast they traverse and risk destroying when they hit various islands. Not to mention their huge carbon footprint on my coast with non carbon taxed fuel.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Biden COP26’s Trudeau (& Ontario) like Trudeau COP26’s Saskatchewan & Alberta.
Sucks. We get it. We feel for you. Empathy.

Biden and the Democrats are supporting a bill that would provide a tax break worth US$12,500 to those who purchase an electric vehicle. To qualify for the credit, the car would have to be assembled in the United States with 50% American parts and a U.S.-made battery.

Industry watchers here know that could mean trouble for future plant expansion or even the continuation of existing plants. The tax break would be a strong motivating factor for carmakers to move production south.

With Ontario in the running for a battery plant being built by Stellantis, the former Chrysler, even the threat of this move could sway decisions.

So far, the Trudeau government hasn’t been on top of this issue. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau failed to secure a meeting with Biden when they were both in Europe and ministers were slow to act on the file.

The rest at the above LINK.

This seems like a familiar story. Covid 19 is striking in the early days of 2020, & Trudeau is politic’ing around Africa for the next couple weeks trying to buy a UN Security Seat…by supporting Dictators & investing in Africa’s Oil & Gas Industry. Don’t take my word for this when it can be proven right or wrong with a simple Google search though. Dude eventually gets home & one of his first moves is to dig into the tickle trunk for a selfie in a Chinese Food restaurant? I shit you not!! This was a lesson (& a Woke Sermon) for us all not to be racist or something like that (?).

Then the whole Indigenous Day whatever the heck that was that Trudeau enacted, and as the Natives waited for the PM to accept their offers to attend, Dude flys over like a 100 different Reservations in a 9000+km rounder weekend getaway to Tofino BC from Ottawa ON and skips out on attending any of them. This was an apology that we where all supposed to learn something from about Carbon Footprints (?) or Hanging 10 (?) or maybe personal responsibility (?)….& this is shortly before COP26 where this Woke Joke is cancelling out a significant portion of Western Canada’s economy ‘cuz (?) he doesn’t get many votes out here (?) and we’re all supposed to learn the lesson of I’ve no idea what this time yet in all honesty. I’m still try’n to figure out how this Ass-Clown got elected once let alone thrice (most recently by 1/3 of the 60% that bothered to vote).

Before becoming PM, this guys only credentials where his last name, the worst attendance record in parliament, a trust fund, a gig as a drama teacher for a while, snowboarding instructor, & supposedly a bouncer somewhere or another? I guess you get what you vote for….what a goat rodeo.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Unfortunately that would play right into Biden's hand. He wants to ban coal already. It would be far better to shut down the Alaska highway and prevent Alaska bound cruise ships from using the inside passage. This we should do anyway, since no cruise ship leaves any money on the parts of the coast they traverse and risk destroying when they hit various islands. Not to mention their huge carbon footprint on my coast with non carbon taxed fuel.
Yeah, there are probably a number of ways we could present small roadblocks to the US, non of which would be real attention grabbers, so in the end are we going to be any further ahead.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Yes. Biden wants to be a slave to Saudi princes.

Because he hates America.

Whatever.
No, because he's an idiot who acts before thinking. I mean it's not like economic experts from practically everywhere have stated that oil is going to be absolutely essential to the economic recovery from the pandemic or anything. But hey, some people are stupid enough to actually believe their childish ideology will somehow protect them from reality.