Any rational thoughts about taxes? ......

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Are there really people who think a modern society can exist without services financed by taxes?

If some services should be added, or some services and govt spending axed to save money, which ones and why?

Would it be right to cut services a majority of the population needs or wants?

Is it a good idea to use tax rules to incentivize/subsidize industries and/or social change?

What would a better/fairer tax system look like? (And why?)

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Are there really people who think a modern society can exist without services financed by taxes?

If some services should be added, or some services and govt spending axed to save money, which ones and why?

Would it be right to cut services a majority of the population needs or wants?

Is it a good idea to use tax rules to incentivize/subsidize industries and/or social change?

What would a better/fairer tax system look like? (And why?)
I guess none of the tax whiners have anything rational to say

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I guess none of the tax whiners have anything rational to say

You are looking for an essay where a flat tax answer will suffice, everyone pays their fair share whether it's expanding the gst and eliminating income tax or 15-20% income flat tax and eliminate gst/pst/hst

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
I should have said rational, coherent and relevant; but good luck with that.

Forget it.

Last edited:

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Twin_Moose;2805705]I take it you don't like a flat tax idea? Why is that? Care to elaborate?
If you decide what I like or don't like, the only person who can elaborate is yourself :). If you want to know what I actually think you have to ask me what I think and I can tell you (if I know what I think & can put it in words, haha)

I can think about various tax systems, hopefully with an open mind. There are doubtless some I haven't even heard of. I would expect they all have potential advantages and disadvantages.

But I was really asking what others think, as a way to begin swapping & exploring ideas.

Moose, you suggested a flat tax - I can see at least one huge advantage to that; simplicity/tranparency with reduction of bureaucracy. I'm not sure what you think about GST and PST in connection with it; you mentioned 'fairness.' My goodness there's a bag of worms! How would we (you :)) determine that?

I'm not 'looking for an essay' but whoever wants to write one, go for it. If it's spillbeer I won't open it; hate being shouted at for no reason. It would be nice/courteous if people didn't re-quote his yelling too.

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
How would the local increase of 3.25 percent to the mill rate impact anyone else on here?
Not much; We're rural seniors with full prop tax discount so we don't pay much. In town would be a lot different. People there are already hurting, but how else can small cities with dying industries survive?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Ah, the word of God, AKA progshit.

What a thoughtful analysis!
So do you dispute his thought . Consumption taxes are said to be fairer to lower income people . Income taxes leave those wage earners whose taxes are paid at source with less deductions and higher rates . Fees and levies are taxes with a different name , taxes none the less . All kinds of taxes one taxpayer .

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
So do you dispute his thought .

Do I dispute the statement that 'The only fair tax is a consumption tax" ?

Definitely. For a start it doesn't identify what's meant by 'fair.' People's ideas about that will be all over the map. And that's just for a start. Who or what would determines the levels of tax, and to which consumptions they are applied.

It's about as useful as saying rivers are the best kind of water.

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Income taxes leave those wage earners whose taxes are paid at source with less deductions and higher rates
I'm not sure what this means; too long retired without no recent experience of employment income taxation.
Fees and levies are taxes with a different name , taxes none the less.
This is about semantics, which muddies the issue. Some fees are somebody's livelihood although that's not what you meant; and some gov fees/levies may be directly related to actual costs incurred. Sorting out which tax, fee, or levy pays for which services is likely impossible, even for those who set up the systems in the first place :(.