Anglo-Saxon gold pendant declared treasure

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
An Anglo-Saxon gold pendant, found near a site where a similar item worth £145,000 was dug up, probably belonged to a woman of "high social status".

The Winfarthing Pendant was found in 2014 near Diss in Norfolk.

The latest pendant, with a central cross motif, was found in 2017 and it has been declared treasure.

Anglo-Saxon gold pendant found in Norfolk declared treasure

BBC News
17 March 2019

The gold pendant would have belonged to a "high status woman", like the famous Winfarthing Pendant

An Anglo-Saxon gold pendant, found near a site where a similar item worth £145,000 was dug up, probably belonged to a woman of "high social status".

The Winfarthing Pendant was found in 2014 near Diss in Norfolk.

The latest pendant, with a central cross motif, was found in 2017 and it has been declared treasure.

Julie Shoemark, Norfolk's finds liaison officer, said it made a "valuable contribution to our understanding of Saxon society".

Anglo-Saxon villages featured wooden housing, similar to this recreation at West Stow in Suffolk

In 2014, a student found Anglo-Saxon jewellery, including a pendant, at Winfarthing, later valued by the government's Portable Antiquities Scheme at £145,000.

'Immense' social change

The more recently discovered pendant, which features gold bead work and measures 17mm (0.67in) by 13mm (0.5in), is believed to date from the late-6th Century to the mid-7th.

Ms Shoemark, from Norfolk County Council's archaeology department, said: "Like the Winfarthing assemblage, this piece most likely belonged to a high-status lady.

"It dates to an important turning point in Saxon history during the first flowering of Christianity [in England] and is of similar date to the jewellery assemblage from the now famous and nearby Winfarthing burial.

"Male graves of this period appear to be entirely lacking in elaborate jewellery.

"This latest pendant makes a valuable contribution to our understanding of Saxon society, religion and the position of women during a period of immense social and cultural change."

It has been declared treasure at an inquest at held by the Norfolk Coroner's Office, and it will now be valued by the Portable Antiquities Scheme.

The Winfarthing Pendant (both sides pictured) was constructed from a sheet of gold and attached with gold cells, set with garnets

Similar items had been found in collections left in Anglo-Saxon graves across the east of England and Kent.

The Winfarthing Pendant, discovered by student-turned-archaeologist Tom Lucking, has recently been on show at The British Library in London.

Treasure experts described it as having "national significance" shortly after it was discovered.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-47435954

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-47435954
How do you feel knowing the best part of your Empire is rotting in the cold, cold ground?? Have you and your sister decided on the name of your coming baby or are you waiting to see if it is normal??

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
How do you feel knowing the best part of your Empire is rotting in the cold, cold ground?? Have you and your sister decided on the name of your coming baby or are you waiting to see if it is normal??

We're calling it Brexetta if it's a girl or Nigel if it's a boy.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Maybe add in a little DU as you fuks don't mind using it on others.

Now go answer the question. The whole World Bank collective is as fukked and inbreed as they can get. I thought you should know that.

AlRoss0908

Dec 1, 2020
By the way, if we take into account the material and it’s age the price will be way more higher. Besides, i couldn’t find any info that high social status women were wearing pendants similar to this one. I really love some old Anglo-Saxon stuff. If only I could, I would get my GF a pendant like this. Unluckily for me, she is not so much into some historic stuff. She would probably kill if I get her something like this. She already told what does she want for Christmas and even sent me this https://www.chvker.com/collections/butterfly-jewelry So, I won’t be able to get her something else and hear her lame excuses, why she doesn’t wear my presents.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
By the way, if we take into account the material and it’s age the price will be way more higher. Besides, i couldn’t find any info that high social status women were wearing pendants similar to this one. I really love some old Anglo-Saxon stuff. If only I could, I would get my GF a pendant like this. Unluckily for me, she is not so much into some historic stuff. She would probably kill if I get her something like this. She already told what does she want for Christmas and even sent me this https://www.chvker.com/collections/butterfly-jewelry So, I won’t be able to get her something else and hear her lame excuses, why she doesn’t wear my presents.

1606904104316.png
Jewellery was worn by both Anglo-Saxon women and men. Gemstones such as amethyst and amber and glass beads were used to make simple bracelets and necklaces. Women fastened their dresses at the shoulder with a pair of brooches. Men fastened cloaks with brooches and had elaborate belt buckles.