American Reaction to Advice

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Rick van Opbergen said:
Are leftish people more rational? Now I consider myself to be a bit rational, and I'm leftish haha but what do you think? Is it an advantage that people on the left tend to be less carried along when it comes to patriotic feelings, or church rhetoric (as Haggis said, at least, for the "patriotic feelings", but than with as example the Bush-voters)? (Personally, I sympathize with this view). Or are people on the left maybe just the same as others, and are they maybe "irrational" in being rational, by immediately rejecting a large part of "rightish", "conservative" or "religious" rhetorics? Are leftish people more rational?

Actually, we're just plain perfect. :cool:

Seriously, I think liberals and conservatives pretty much live up to the dictionary definition of the words. Conservatives tend to be intolerant of change, and they are inclined to a faith-based way of thinking. Conversely, liberals favour progress, they are broad-minded and tolerant (especially by comparison to conservatives).

Since liberals take a more intellectual approach to learning and living, I would venture to say they are more rational. It would almost be a contradiction in terms to call a conservative, who bases much of his life on faith, 'rational'.

George W. Bush might make my point best for the way conservatives approach things. He has, many times, made rather critical decisions in office (ie Iraq) based on his simple faith that it is 'the right thing to do', based on his 'gut feeling', and from 'conversations with god'.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: American Reaction to

You have to be careful of generalisations though. There was a man (can't remember his name) on CBC's Ideas last night with pretty impeccable conservative credentials...he was a member of Reagan's cabinet and has been a conservative for longer than Bush has been involved in politics, possibly longer than Bush has been out of diapers.

He was arguing not just against the Iraq war, but against the continuing imperialism of the US under the PNAC/Bush doctrine. His reasoning sounded very much like the reasoning coming from those on the left.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: American Reaction to

Reverend Blair said:
You have to be careful of generalisations though. There was a man (can't remember his name) on CBC's Ideas last night with pretty impeccable conservative credentials...

He sounds as though he is a moderate, a good thing.

You are so right about the danger of making generalizations, and I should have clarified that I was referring primarily to hard-righties and hard-lefties. Even then, generalizations are an iffy thing at best, but they do tend to fit better when used to describe the more extreme factions.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Rick van Opbergen said:
Are leftish people more rational? Now I consider myself to be a bit rational, and I'm leftish haha but what do you think? Is it an advantage that people on the left tend to be less carried along when it comes to patriotic feelings, or church rhetoric (as Haggis said, at least, for the "patriotic feelings", but than with as example the Bush-voters)? (Personally, I sympathize with this view). Or are people on the left maybe just the same as others, and are they maybe "irrational" in being rational, by immediately rejecting a large part of "rightish", "conservative" or "religious" rhetorics? Are leftish people more rational?

Left wingers doubt most of what is said. With that, they are brought to think for thmselves more (Have their own opinion), then to let their parties leader take speech.

Now this is not an attempt to further my ideology, but rather what I think to be true. This can be seen on the right, but quite rare. And usually only with the Leaders and "progressive" conservatives.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Re: RE: American Reaction to

Reverend Blair said:
You have to be careful of generalisations though. There was a man (can't remember his name) on CBC's Ideas last night with pretty impeccable conservative credentials...he was a member of Reagan's cabinet and has been a conservative for longer than Bush has been involved in politics, possibly longer than Bush has been out of diapers.

He was arguing not just against the Iraq war, but against the continuing imperialism of the US under the PNAC/Bush doctrine. His reasoning sounded very much like the reasoning coming from those on the left.

Most likely a progressive conservative. Kinda like the times of Mulroney... As much as I dislike him and his "gift" to Canada.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: American Reaction to Advice

zenfisher said:
Sorry Haggis, I didn't mean to exclude you.

Yeah, geez, and here we are practically partners in the writing of Poor Little Mr. President over in the 'continue the sentence' thread. :cool:

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

Rick van Opbergen said:
It's nice to be with a leftish crowd here 8)

Interestingly, this crowd would be considered quite moderate by Canadian standards, but by American standards we're right off the field. Or as Bush would say, "We're hugging the Left Bank." Hugging it and hanging on for dear life, I'd say, when I think of the alternative.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
:mrgreen: I agree Haggis. It's kinda funny to hear how many people are actually against Bush, also here in the Netherlands (portrayed as one of the US closest allies, in Iraq that is). An example: four years ago, of my three best friends, two would vote for Bush if they could vote in the American elections and one didn't know (and I was the one who would vote for Gore, assuming voting Nader would be a lost vote in the elections) ... a week ago we were talking about it, and it was nice to hear that the friend who didn't know four years ago would definitely vote Kerry this time, one of the friends who would have voted Bush, did now favor Kerry, and the third friend seriously doubted to vote for Bush again (assuming he could vote) :)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: American Reaction to

They were just talking about this on CBC. Most Canadians would pick Kerry. Even in right-wing Alberta, Kerry comes out ahead in the polls. In Quebec, Bush would likely get crucified before he made his concession speech.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Let's just keep our fingers crossed that American voters will feel the same way. Perhaps they will... maybe the media is doing its usual fine job of getting the facts wrong, and on election night *wham* Kerry will roar in with a landslide. Okay, so a person can dream, can't they?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Haggis, that's not totally wrong. Something like that could happen for sure. The media always twists things for various reasons... I just can't comprehend how such a mass can vote Bush in again.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

Andem said:
Haggis, that's not totally wrong. Something like that could happen for sure. The media always twists things for various reasons... I just can't comprehend how such a mass can vote Bush in again.

I'm sure banking on a landslide victory for Kerry.

I know this: election night is going to be one of the most exciting nights imaginable. I can't wait! What in hell's name are we going to talk about once it is all over??

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Interesting article I came across today about Kerry's campaign taking money from terrorists.

http://www.faithfreedom.org/oped/AndyWilcoxson41025.htm

John Kerry, who was on the Senate Intelligence Committee from 1993 until 2000, must know who the KLA is, but he clearly doesn’t care.

Instead of condemning the KLA, Kerry takes money from them. And instead of distancing itself from the KLA, Kerry's party invites the KLA's leader to come to their convention in Boston.