All four of Banff's grizzly cubs born in 2014 have been killed

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Very sad story. From the story I gather that cub mortality in the Park is partially attributable to adult male grizzly bears. What could account for this phenomenon? Try closing the Park for a couple of years to determine if the males are somehow influenced by human impacts. Additionally, try slowing the speed of vehicles passing through the Park. This shouldn't be too difficult. I know these suggestions would have adverse economic impacts. However, the people of Canada must decide whether they are willing to go the extra mile in order to establish a viable grizzly population in the Park.

Grizzlies were never bush bears until global warming forced them off the open plains.

Rifles in the hands of marksmen forced the bears off the open plains.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Rifles in the hands of marksmen forced the bears off the open plains.

Nah. It was global warming. When in recorded history has there been more CO2 with less grizzlie on the prairie? It made the ploar bears go blind. It's safer in the bush that eats CO2.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
However, the people of Canada must decide whether they are willing to go the extra mile in order to establish a viable grizzly population in the Park.
Are you telling me a grizz is a big prairie dog? Buffalo herded up out of fear, no wonder it was called the wild west. The parks could be wired up like downtown London and access the cameras from anyplace on the globe. An attraction in-house could be a moving rock wall that duplicates any mountain in the 3d database, a fall is always 18" off the floor.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You would be more trustworthy on that if you had been unable to find the keyboard, or your house, . . on a clear day.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Very sad story. From the story I gather that cub mortality in the Park is partially attributable to adult male grizzly bears. What could account for this phenomenon? Try closing the Park for a couple of years to determine if the males are somehow influenced by human impacts. Additionally, try slowing the speed of vehicles passing through the Park. This shouldn't be too difficult. I know these suggestions would have adverse economic impacts. However, the people of Canada must decide whether they are willing to go the extra mile in order to establish a viable grizzly population in the Park.

It's not obvious why open range beasts aren't prospering in the bush?