Alcoholism as a Disease

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Alcoholism As a Disease

From Buddy T,
Your Guide to Alcoholism & Substance Abuse.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
But It Doesn't Act Like a Disease!

One of the difficulties in recognizing alcoholism as a disease is it just plain doesn't seem like one. It doesn't look, sound, smell and it certainly doesn't act like a disease. To make matters worse, generally it denies it exists and resists treatment.

Alcoholism has been recognized for many years by professional medical organizations as a primary, chronic, progressive and sometimes fatal disease. The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence offers a detailed and complete definition of alcoholism, but probably the most simple way to describe it is "a mental obsession that causes a physical compulsion to drink."

Mental obsession? Did you ever wake up in the morning with a song playing over and over in your head? It might have been a commercial jingle you heard on television, or a song from the radio, but it kept playing ... and playing and playing.

Mental Obsession

Remember what that was like? No matter what you did, that silly tune kept on playing. You could try to whistle or sing another song or turn on the radio and listen to another tune, but the one in your head just kept on playing. Think about it. There was something going on in your mind that you didn't put there and, no matter how hard you tried, couldn't get out!

That is an example of a simple mental obsession -- a thought process over which you have no control. Such is the nature of the disease of alcoholism. When the drinking "song" starts playing in the mind of an alcoholic, he is powerless. He didn't put the song there and the only way to get it to stop is to take another drink.

The problem is the alcoholic's mental obsession with alcohol is much more subtle than a song playing in his mind. In fact, he may not even know it's there. All he knows is he suddenly has an urge to take a drink -- a physical compulsion to drink.

Progressive Disease

Compounding the problem is the progressive nature of the disease. In its early stages, taking one or two drinks may be all it takes to get the "song" to stop. But soon it takes six or seven and later maybe ten or twelve. Somewhere down the road the only time the song stops is when he passes out.

The progression of the disease is so subtle and usually takes place over such an extended period of time, that even the alcoholic himself failed to notice the point at which he lost control -- and alcohol took over -- his life.

No wonder denial is an almost universal symptom of the disease. For those who have come to the realization that they do have a problem, help may be as close as the white pages of the telephone directory. But for those who need help and do not want it, intervention may be the only alternative.

Created: November 23, 2003

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
By the time I was 15 years old, I had a veterans knowledge of "a" person who is an alcoholic .
My dad was an alcoholic, a very conservative, well educated, smart,polite,thoughtfull,but rather "nervous"individual.
That was when he was sober, which wasn't very often. He would drink for months and
months at a time, take advantage of anyone he could, especially us. Some where along the way he
would check himself into a sanitarium and "dry" out. He would be OK for awhile, sometimes 3 mos.,
then it would start all over.

I grew up very nervous, and worried, most of the time, as we did not know what would happen from one day till the next. Promises of a new beginning, then a complete 360 turn, and he would steal
and lie, and do whatever it takes to get himself a bottle.
Now, that went on till I was an adult, I had no kind thoughts for him at all, (except when he was sober).
Everyone shunned him, hoped he wouldnever show his face at all.
I married, had my own family, his life continued on as usual, and as he
got older, he would spend more time in the Veteran's Hospital, then when he got out, he would just
start over. Finally, he was admitted to hospital permanately, lived till 80yrs. of age, then he was
gone.
Now that I am in my late 60's, I spend more time thinking about his life, and how things were in
our family in those days. And, it's amazing, as I now feel "guilty" about "his" life, and feel that
I could have done much more to help him. You may find that extraordinary, but it is true, but of
course I am not the same person I was then. But I guess as time goes by, the bad things fade away,
and the good remain in one's memory.

I don't drink, never have, same as my mother. But I feel so sad for him now, he ruined what could
have been a happy life for him, and just wasted it away. But, I feel so wise now, ha, and if I could
have thought then , the way I can now, I would have given him "help", emotional "help". He obviously
suffered from serious guilt, when he was "sober", so those are the times I could have fortified my
strong love for him, so that he would be able to deal with his "demons".

Alcoholics are a "pitiful" bunch. I was so ashamed of him. He was a pitiful picture, a slave of his
drink. How can a person give in to something that will take him to the depths of despair, and then
battle his way out of it, (which was a nightmare in itself), then just start over and do it all over
again.

Yeah, I've heard and read about the "disease", but when a family lives for years and years through
the life of an alcoholic, it is very hard to see it as a disease, there is too much suffering by every
one. I guess I need to know more, to convince me, as I just see it as a very "weak" person, who
allows himself to be dragged down, and the become a slave to his drink. How is that a disease.
Smoking isn't a disease, it is an addiction. Drugs are an addiction. So, how is alcoholism a disease, I think that is an excuse.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeah, I've heard and read about the "disease", but when a family lives for years and years through
the life of an alcoholic, it is very hard to see it as a disease, there is too much suffering by every
one. I guess I need to know more, to convince me, as I just see it as a very "weak" person, who
allows himself to be dragged down, and the become a slave to his drink. How is that a disease.
Smoking isn't a disease, it is an addiction. Drugs are an addiction. So, how is alcoholism a disease, I think that is an excuse.

I lived with alcoholism too talloola. I thought perhaps this article would strike up some conversation. I know as I was reading in my text a very similar article, I found myself thinking much as you do. It seems like a cop out, and way to excuse the behavior. But at the same time, the scientific community points out that it meets most of the definitions of a disease, even though it is caused by addiction. I don't know how I feel about that definition though.

I get what you were saying about feeling sorry for our alcoholic relatives. I know that I find myself trying to explain to my mom, the reasons my dad has for drinking the way he does. Since developing the same autoimmune disease he has, and having to live in pain all the time, I understand much more the allure of a warming drink to numb the pain. I feel a lot more sympathy for the compounded things in his life that have driven him to such excess. And I thank God that he has moved away from many of the triggers in his life, so that his drinking, while still not under control, is much less now than when I was growing up.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I lived with alcoholism too talloola. I thought perhaps this article would strike up some conversation. I know as I was reading in my text a very similar article, I found myself thinking much as you do. It seems like a cop out, and way to excuse the behavior. But at the same time, the scientific community points out that it meets most of the definitions of a disease, even though it is caused by addiction. I don't know how I feel about that definition though.

I get what you were saying about feeling sorry for our alcoholic relatives. I know that I find myself trying to explain to my mom, the reasons my dad has for drinking the way he does. Since developing the same autoimmune disease he has, and having to live in pain all the time, I understand much more the allure of a warming drink to numb the pain.
I guess that is the key for me, as we all have "pain", and to just run from the pain, and hide, to me is cowardly. He "caused" all of us huge amounts of pain, yet we never chose to join him in
drinking ourselves into oblivion, to forget it. All the women in our family chose to face our pain,
he and my brother chose to "wallow" in it. "So, we have to feel compassion and sympathy, as
though he had a congenital disease of some kind. As I explained before, now that I am an older
person, I can look back, and feel so sorry that he completely wasted his life, left huge blanks,
in ours, as I know in my case my developement had big blanks in it, and some of those blanks,
did'nt go away. An utter and complete waste. I don't feel anything for people who are addicted,
I smoked till I was 25, then refused to allow them to control my life any longer, and quit. The
craving to smoke for months and months was very strong, I refused to give in.

I feel a lot more sympathy for the compounded things in his life that have driven him to such excess. And I thank God that he has moved away from many of the triggers in his life, so that his drinking, while still not under control, is much less now than when I was growing up
Good luck to you, hope you have broken the chain.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Good luck to you, hope you have broken the chain.

Thanks for the well wishes. I can't say that I have broken the chain, so much as my illness has ensured that I can't follow in his footsteps. one drink can help my pain a lot, better than any pain killer can. any more than that though, and my pain will be worse the next day than it was before I had a drink. Thus, while a hangover may not be enough to deter drinking in most people, I have the added joy of convulsive muscle pain. Nature's way of breaking the chain I guess.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
There is always something underlying ,the drink, the food, the drug ,it helps hide the pain

One cant rid themselves of the the drink the drug the food ,until they seek out the pain ,its awful ever one needs to suffer for it but ,thats where Mom or Dad needs to step up and remove us children from the situation ,I realize it was harder before to do that --but there are no excuses now ,support to help a family flourish ,well at least give them tools to help themselves

Having both parents who abused all was weird I knew early families weren't like mine --

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
There is always something underlying ,the drink, the food, the drug ,it helps hide the pain

One cant rid themselves of the the drink the drug the food ,until they seek out the pain ,its awful ever one needs to suffer for it but ,thats where Mom or Dad needs to step up and remove us children from the situation ,I realize it was harder before to do that --but there are no excuses now ,support to help a family flourish ,well at least give them tools to help themselves

Having both parents who abused all was weird I knew early families weren't like mine --

There are programs that help. AL-ANON, AL-ATEEN
http://www.al-anon.org/

Im not sure where your from so I dont know if that helps. In my day it wasnt readily available but Im told its a good program.

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
But It Doesn't Act Like a Disease!

One of the difficulties in recognizing alcoholism as a disease is it just plain doesn't seem like one. It doesn't look, sound, smell and it certainly doesn't act like a disease. To make matters worse, generally it denies it exists and resists treatment.

Alcoholism has been recognized for many years by professional medical organizations as a primary, chronic, progressive and sometimes fatal disease. The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence offers a detailed and complete definition of alcoholism, but probably the most simple way to describe it is "a mental obsession that causes a physical compulsion to drink."

Mental obsession? Did you ever wake up in the morning with a song playing over and over in your head? It might have been a commercial jingle you heard on television, or a song from the radio, but it kept playing ... and playing and playing.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
I am not interest in sympathy ,I never found A.A much use The comradeship of the people with problems getting together was /is what helps the alcoholics

Any group that needs you to admit your powerless cant possible help ,just think "how is a person suppose to be powerful enough to overcome if they just admitted they were powerless --lol

:angel8: I honestly thought (until I was old enough to know better) that A.A meetings were where my parents went to hook up with whomever was having the next party--lol

alanon is a lesson in pity and poor me -

-No, I found my strength through goals small then larger achievements ,through facing the cards dealt with and working with what I had ---
Im sure having straight parents would have been better ?

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Though I dont drink and smoke at all but still I dont think its a Disease in any case its really helps you while making love with your partner and you both enjoy the same and offurse if you take this in limit and not on regular drinker......

======
All respect No offence .....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ok, here's my two cents, many will likely dissgree with me, some my see wisdom in my words, but here it is...

BS.

My Mom, box-o-wine a day.
My Dad, 5 cases of JLC a week.
My Grandad, front porch filled with Labatts 50.

All high functioning alcoholics.

I was not as lucky, I was a low disfunctional drunk addict, drunk and or stoned every day for years. Two times through AA. Once court ordered. Failed both times.

1993. Stopped drinking altogether.

Why?

He was born.

Drinking is a personal choice. If you have the desire to quit, you can. I refused to have my sons see me wallowing around on the floor, looking like a F U C K ing idiot. Plain and simple.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Hi Bear - good topic here and condolences to those writers who have witnessed alcoholism within families -

My family also have the genetic disposition - on both parents' sides so there was a double whammy working within my group. Many early deaths due to alcohol and its eventual destruction of bodily parts leaving some of us who chose to abstain for various reasons bear witness to the chaos alcohol creates
in a home.

Have to agree with the disease descriptive because it eventually does kill unless intervention is found...and the majority of alcoholics have psychic or physical pain and find alcohol is the easiest (and most pleasant way for them) to self medicate to relieve whatever their particular "nuisance" is.

We know much more about acoholism now but the stigma still remains - the falling down drunk, the wife beater, the always in debt borrower, the guy on the park bench waiting for a handout, the lies, the failures, and eventually the real bodily harm as well as the mental dissembling.

If you know there is a gene being passed along, prevention and education is a good tool to fight it within a family, as well as recognizing the potential if a loved one seems highly emotional or "nervous" as one writer put it.... life is more of a challenge in which to function on a basic level..... or there is chronic pain which never seems to stop....

Within families there are no secrets even though we perpetuate them....we all know the drinkers for what they are even if we don't speak of it...especially to them.... A long long suicide taking others with them for the horrendous ride.

Silent witness within families, enables the resulting destruction.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Temperence

Your post regarding AA has repeated what I have always wondered about the "sober society" of others who continually use labels to stay dry.

If it works of course, then more power to them.

I think a person has to be incredibly strong to overcome addiction of any kind ... for it is a life altering decision which one can only make on a solo flight.

AA has worked for two of my family members but it chains them to the meetings and I often wish I had the guts to challenge them to "get off the meetings" to prove to themselves how wonderfully strong they are on their own....

I feel terrible writing about AA because it has helped so many people.... but it replaces one addiction with another "lesser" evil, and perpetuates the addictive personality rather than behavior change...
which I think we are all capable of once we find a good reason....such as CdnBear's son gave him.

What a beautiful reason too Bear!

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Ok,
Drinking is a personal choice. If you have the desire to quit, you can. I refused to have my sons see me wallowing around on the floor, looking like a F U C K ing idiot. Plain and simple.

I am agrreed to this that " Drinking is a personal choice " If you have the desire to quit, you can

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
I often wonder if AA were to allow people to admit they have a problem but instead of being powerless ,instill them with power ---Like Cur says whatever works ,but I see the people supporting people as the power ,the knowing they share something in common and they arent the only ones is what helps --but it also comes down to filling your life with something that gives you the feeling of comfort ,control ,untiy ,--

Diease
A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms

how does a person knowly putting a toxic (kinda posion-) lol into there body at a rate upove moderation equal that --they adopted the diease model so doctors could treat alchol in a medical clinical setting --
all the problems that over induling or abusing comes from the user and can be controlled not enviroment not anything else

Just a thought

Why do heavy drinkers persist in their behavior even when prudence, common sense, and moral duty call for restraint? That is the central question in debates about alcohol abuse. In the United States, but not in other countries such as Great Britain (Robertson and Heather, 1982), the standard answer is to call the behavior a disease—"alcoholism"—whose key symptom is a pattern of uncontrollable drinking. This myth, now widely advertised and widely accepted, is neither helpfully compassionate nor scientifically valid. It promotes false beliefs and inappropriate attitudes, as well as harmful, wasteful, and ineffective social policies.
The myth is embodied in the following four scientifically baseless propositions:
    • 1) Heavy problem drinkers show a single distinctive pattern of ever greater alcohol use leading to ever greater bodily, mental, and social deterioration.
      2) The condition once it appears, persists involuntarily: the craving is irresistible and the drinking is uncontrollable once it has begun.
      3) Medical expertise is needed to understand and relieve the condition ("cure the disease") or at least ameliorate its symptoms.
      4) Alcoholics are no more responsible legally or morally for their drinking and its consequences than epileptics are responsible for the consequences of their movements during seizures.
The idea that alcoholism is a disease has always been a political and moral notion with no scientific basis. It was first promoted in the United States around 1800 as a speculation based on erroneous physiological theory (Levine, 1978), and later became a theme of the temperance movement (Gusfield, 1963). It was revived in the 1930s by the founders of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), who derived their views from an amalgam or religious ideas, personal experiences and observations, and the unsubstantiated theories of a contemporary physician (Robinson, 1979).

Not all abusers end up with liver problems ,if you drink or drug and dont eat them you have associated problems if you over eat ,you create problems
its self inflicted --

At least we all agree there is a problem and it has a solution --lol:wave: