Age Discrimination?

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
Some younger Stampede patrons kept out of bars
Last updated Jul 12 2005 11:31 AM MDT
CBC News
Some Calgary bars are screening patrons at the door during Stampede – and keeping out males under the age of 25.

Bar managers say the age limit helps curb problems at their establishments during the biggest party of the year.

Kelly Morrison, manager of the Whiskey Nightclub, says their decision to keep younger men out reduces violence and impaired driving.

"We do allow women in under the age of 25," he said. "It's basically up to the doorman's discretion, up at the door."

Andy Dallin, who came into town from Bangkok to sell jewelry during the Stampede, says he was shocked when he and a friend were turned away from Tantra Saturday night.

"I was disappointed because Stampede is supposed to be a big party time," he said.

His friend Aaron Lemkey, who came into town from Lethhbridge, said the bouncer at the door wouldn't let them in when told they were 23 and 24.

The Alberta Liquor Control Act doesn't prohibit discrimination on the basis of age.

Lemkey says guys his age should makes some calls before heading out, to save them time.

"We ended up doing a lot of walking just to find a decent place," he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm wondering how this can be legal?

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
I thought that age was a form of discrimination covered in the Constitution? I know there are special cases (under 18, insurance rates, etc), but I don't see how this can be legal.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Bars and Restaurants all have those signs that state they have the right to refuse service to whom they see fit.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"I'm wondering how this can be legal?"

It is always OK to discriminate against males in this country.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Jay, I've often equated equality laws with the pendulum of a clock. I hope that one day the pendulum will stop in the middle.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Re: RE: Age Discrimination?

Twila said:

Jay, I've often equated equality laws with the pendulum of a clock. I hope that one day the pendulum will stop in the middle.

What an interesting way to phrase it Twila. I've always said that I am not a feminist, but a humanist. age, race, sex, whatever, doesn't matter. If I don't like someone, it's their personality that I don't like, same for thos I do like

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
We even have a Minister for Women’s Issues....it won't be stopping in the middle anytime soon.

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
I don't see why the supreme court needs to get involved. If I were black, and denied access to those bars, would I have to go all the way up to the supreme court before I get answers? I thought the police dealt with discrimination of this type?

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
I sent an email to the Canadian Human Rights Commission with a copy of the news text asking them for some clarification on this. Maybe they'll even reply! :wink:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
We even have a Minister for Women’s Issues....it won't be stopping in the middle anytime soon.

Pssssst Jay, that's cause us women have lots of issues.......lol

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
Update: Still no reply :)

It's funny that this doesn't bother more people. I'm sure that if this thread was about discrimination of a racial group there would be more reponses. Perhaps Jay is right, the last group that it's ok to discriminate against is young white males. That's really too bad, as I fit into the under 25 male category, yet I have an engineering job and degree, and would be the last one to start problems at a bar because I wouldn't want to jeapardize my career. This discrimination really bothers me as a Canadian citizen.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Am I getting this straight? you're being discriminated against being drunk and acting rowdy. Personally,I feel you have that right already.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
There are so many bars that do not allow entry for certain age groups, I'm not sure that is discrimination. If it were, wouldn't a visit to the local police station suffice? The bar would be breaking the law.

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
Do police deal with discrimination? Is that federal or provincial law? How is that law worded? Something just seems very wrong to me.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I've been to gay bars in Manhattan, you can't really tell the difference until you're inside anyway. And many straight couples go to gay bars, they have a much more vibrant atmosphere.