Age Discrimination?

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
I've never seen a bar ban old men and cougars from bars. They can be quite 'undesireable' yet are never banned. I'm pretty sure if you tried to run a bar where everyone over 35 wasn't allowed there'd be problems. People over 35 can afford lawyers.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
How do restaurants get away with deny entry to those without shirts or shoes?

How would a bar be allowed to kick out drunk patrons if they had no rights to deny entry based on their own chosen criteria?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
There are many under the age of 25 that can afford lawyers and if you cannot afford a lawyer, you can go to the District Attorneys office (whatever is equal in Canada). An attorney is assigned to you by the state if you cannot afford one if there is reasonable accusations your rights are being violated.

I cannot see how so many bars would do this without being cited.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I hope you all save your indignation for another 5 or ten years, when you might run a business, and have your livelihood threatened by the actions of a group of people under 25.

Then I know you'll just relax and let it all slide, remembering how important this idea of "discrimination" is.

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
Re: RE: Age Discrimination?

Twila said:
How do restaurants get away with deny entry to those without shirts or shoes?

How would a bar be allowed to kick out drunk patrons if they had no rights to deny entry based on their own chosen criteria?

Due to health regulations, restaurants must require their customers to wear shirts and shoes for sanitary reasons.

Bars do have the right to refuse service to individuals whom they deem will cause problems in the bar. This is their right as no bar should have to deal with a certain problem customer with no recourse. But this is banning an entire demographic based not on their actions, but based on their age and gender. It would be very illegal to disallow arabs from entering a bar. The bar could argue that arabs pose an increased threat to the bar due to their ties to terrorism (bars are arguing that 18-25yr males pose an increased threat due to their experience with some), but this would be discriminatory and illegal. Not all arabs are terrorists, not all <25yr males are drunken brawlers. Since the charter bans discrimination based not only on race, but age and gender as well (in the same line of the charter, no less), I don't see how this is any different than racist discrimination.

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005

TenPenny said:
I hope you all save your indignation for another 5 or ten years, when you might run a business, and have your livelihood threatened by the actions of a group of people under 25.

Then I know you'll just relax and let it all slide, remembering how important this idea of "discrimination" is.

I'm not stupid TenPenny, I have the right to, and would ban any individual causing problems in my bar. I would post their pictures for the bouncers to see. I have never had a problem with a bar doing this. I would NEVER discriminate on a group of people just because of past problems with 'similar' people.

TenPenny, the only reason this doesn't bother you is because you aren't in the demographic in question. That's sad. Do you only stand up for the rights of people who are the same as you? Are you so special that your rights are more important than mine or anothers?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I know you might find this hard to believe, but I used to be in that demographic. And when I was, I believed that a business had the right to do whatever the hell they wanted.

By the same token, I knew that at under 25, I couldn't rent a car from most places. And my own car insurance premiums were higher. So what? When I needed a truck, I went to the place that would rent to me. I didn't whine about it, or sue. Life goes on.

It's important for young people to be idealistic, but for God's sake, whining about not being allowed into a bar is hardly worth the effort.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
:lol: Having worked as a bouncer in an Alberta bar I can certainly say the young drunks are the worst. After all the age to drink there is 18. If I had my way the booze would be dumped down the drain and I'd bring out the weed.

After I became legal age I lost interest in the bars anyways. They were more fun when I was underage. They're all overrated meat markets anyways.

My only problem with age discrimination is when travelling on the train (I'm sure some of you read that little rant before). Long story short...the conductors were dicks.

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
TenPenny:

So you believe that business should be allowed to turn away Arabs because of their tendency towards terrorism? After all, the business should be able to do whatever it wants and shouldn't have to follow any little piece of paper like the charter, right?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think age discrimination shouldn't be part of the charter.

It's assinine. Are you going to fight about insurance rates now? What about the old age pension?. I think I should be able to collect it now, not when I'm 60. How about it?
I want to be able to go to a movie for the children's admission price. And those restaurants where kids eat free, that's wrong, too.

At some point, this idea becomes stupid. And I think that point is long before we fight about getting into bars.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
There are some aspects to the Charter that aren’t written very well.....

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005

TenPenny said:
I think age discrimination shouldn't be part of the charter.

It's assinine. Are you going to fight about insurance rates now? What about the old age pension?. I think I should be able to collect it now, not when I'm 60. How about it?
I want to be able to go to a movie for the children's admission price. And those restaurants where kids eat free, that's wrong, too.

At some point, this idea becomes stupid. And I think that point is long before we fight about getting into bars.

Fine, you don't mind age discrimination, thats alright. These bars were also discriminating based on gender, because they allowed women under 25 to enter. Are you also alright with gender discrimination?

Also, this has NOTHING to do with getting into bars. I would be just as mad if they were't allowing men under 25 (or any group) into movie theatres, restaurants, hockey games, banks, airports, vehicle registry, or any other business. I could care less if I could get into these bars. I don't really like bars anyways, but that's not the point, nor my problem. I don't like the trend. If people accept this, then what other groups of people are businesses going to ban and get away with it? If this becomes acceptable, banning indians and blacks from 7-11 isn't far behind, which scares me.

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005
Age and sexual discrimination happens all the time. The most noticable in the UK is with car insurance.

I refuse to believe women have less car accidents than men - possibly smaller accidents but not less. And as for the 'boy-racer' enigma. I've known and seen plenty of women who drove like nutters.

It dousn't surprise me that a bar could ban men under a certain age. It is after all, a womans world.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Any hot looking woman would be admitted into any bar as it is the best way to draw the male customers to any drinking establishment.So,it is dumb not to allow young men into these bars.

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
I got a reply from the Canadian Human Rights Commission saying that it was out of there jurisdiction and to contact the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission. I talked to an human rights officer over the phone, and he told me that age is not a protected form of discrimination for services, however, he said that gender discrimination was definately coverered and this was viable gender discrimination complaint. I was unable to file a complaint, however, because I was not directly involved.

So, to answer the question that is the topic: No, it is not age discrimination, but it is gender discrimination.

Now all that needs to happen is somebody that was discriminated against by these bars needs to call the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship commission at (403) 297-6571 to file a formal complaint.