39,000 jobs lost in Canada.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That's a good route, too, if you don't mind the investor getting x% in and x% out. Fees are the problem for me. I can't see giving someone else money for doing what I can and will do myself (short of stuff like getting a neighborhood kid to cut the lawn cuz they are saving for college sorta thing).
yeah I get that, I have likely put his daughter through university but when the bottom fell out of everything and people lost their shirt, I didn't... I know nothing about investing probably because I have zero interest in it other than watching it grow. :D Sometimes ya have to pay the piper.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
yeah I get that, I have likely put his daughter through university but when the bottom fell out of everything and people lost their shirt, I didn't... I know nothing about investing probably because I have zero interest in it other than watching it grow. :D Sometimes ya have to pay the piper.
hehe Only stocks I ever actually got rid of were Esso/Exxon (guess when), and BP (also, guess when). Rolled the dough over into a carefully chosen CIBC mutual fund, Cisco, Alpha Tech, and Ballard Power Systems. The last two being Vancouverites.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
hehe Only stocks I ever actually got rid of were Esso/Exxon (guess when), and BP (also, guess when). Rolled the dough over into a carefully chosen CIBC mutual fund, Cisco, Alpha Tech, and Ballard Power Systems. The last two being Vancouverites.
wow, yeah, it's a dicey game... I kind of wish I had still kept buying bonds I liked cash in time

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It can if you have a job that pays enough for you to be able to invest in the stock/bond markets after cost-of-living expenses. If you're a good investor, you can leverage it up from there to a tidy sum.

Back in the 50's, 60's and 70's it was possible for middle-class wage earners to have enough left over to do small-scale investments in the stock and bond markets, such that nobody could complain about the capitalist system, because the benefits of investment were available to everyone.

But these days, unless you're in the 1%, who's got enough left after expenses to play with the stock market anymore?

People were able to develop an investment portfolio back in the day despite having a lot less disposable income... A few bucks squirrelled away here and there resulted in the initializing an (investment) nest egg.

Take a look at where the disposable income goes now?... It's a helluva lot different from the habits back in the day.

That said, I don't believe for one minute that the middle class demographic is unable to engage activity in the stock or bond market, it's simply a matter of will and appetite to defer the urges for immediate gratification

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's a good route, too, if you don't mind the investor getting x% in and x% out. Fees are the problem for me. I can't see giving someone else money for doing what I can and will do myself (short of stuff like getting a neighborhood kid to cut the lawn cuz they are saving for college sorta thing).

I've been with Investors Group for almost 50 years, at first I found the fees pretty scary. There are withdrawal fees on a sliding scale but after you've been in a fund for 7 years there is no fee and the past few years on some funds I'm getting fee rebates every month. I think the trick with mutuals is to have some fixed income and some equities, often when one is doing well the other isn't and you can switch back and forth, trading one in when it's high and buying the other cheap.

I can't eat that fuking pink stuff. I lived on it when I was young.

I've seldom tried anything different so I like the sh*t.