3 Cheers for Vancouver

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
For voting down the building of a WalMart in your city.I've heard and seen the same arguments against this construction quite often here,but in my province-whatever Irving wants gets built!

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
missile said:
For voting down the building of a WalMart in your city.I've heard and seen the same arguments against this construction quite often here,but in my province-whatever Irving wants gets built!

You mean there are NO Walmarts in Vancouver? Where do they shop? :p

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: 3 Cheers for Vancouve

Vancouverites will just have to drive their big ass 4 x 4's and SUV's all the way to Richmond. Just like they've been doing for years.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Guess they won't be using the ferry for a few days!That's a bad accident..at least no one seems to have been injured.[You made it onto CNN!]

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Wal Mart is corperate scum. They may create some jobs to replace jobs lost but their low paying jobs cause people to take advantage of social programs they may not otherwise use with real jobs.

I am glad they were told no.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Most people who can afford to live in Vancouver don't shop the likes of Wal-Mart. And Richmond is just over the bridge so it's not like it's a huge ordeal to get there for those who do shop Wal-Mart.

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC
Walmart is evil. It crushes small businesspeople and destroys competition. I hope that it never gets into Vancouver.

I like to support smaller local businesses if I can. Or at the very least, large Canadian-born enterprises.

American big-box stores piss me off.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Most people who can afford to live in Vancouver don't shop the likes of Wal-Mart. And Richmond is just over the bridge so it's not like it's a huge ordeal to get there for those who do shop Wal-Mart.

Ah Richmond...Home of the venerable Richmond Inn. Did you know if you get drunk and build a shrine out of Corona bottles, lime slices, and tortilla chips in the Richmond Inn, the maids will leave it there for at least three days? Also, if you accidentally dump beer on the cable box and it shorts out, they charge you $150 and your expense account likely doesn't cover it.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

I love the malls in Richmond. Everyone knows where they're going and get there without meandering all over the place and blocking my way, but I hate driving in Richmond.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

They have malls in Richmond? I never really noticed. It was always work, work, work, drink, drink, drink. If we wanted to do anything else we went downtown.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Yes, they actually have clothing in my size in Richmond. I

sumdumbum

Jul 4, 2005
Near gibsons bc
Said1 said:
missile said:

They have a wal-mart at the capilano mall which is in north vancouver.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

You mean there are NO Walmarts in Vancouver? Where do they shop?

Vancouver city has no Wal Mart but all the other cities around do. The lowermainland is really one big city and Vancouver city is just a part of it. Burnaby has one, Surrey has 2, New West, Richmond etc all have them.

The only Woolco's Wal Mart did not buy were the unionized ones when they came to Canada.

Wal Mart is very anti labour and majority on council reconized it. The only Labour Wal Mart likes is the "sweat shop type" found in 3rd world countries.

Any person who has a shred of human compassion should boycott Wal Mart and instead shop at Canadian stores like Zellers, Canadian Tire, Rona, Real Canadian Superstore and stay away from Wal Mart. I do not and will not ever shop or step foot inside Wal Mart unless its to get the workers to sign union cards.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
sumdumbum said:
Said1 said:
missile said:

yes, they do, and it is the worst place to shop ever. disorganized, lousy merchandise, etc. Went there once out of curiosity and never again. Would take a basic bargain store over that horrible/dirty place anytime.

sumdumbum

Jul 4, 2005
Near gibsons bc
Ocean Breeze said:
sumdumbum said:
Said1 said:
missile said:

yes, they do, and it is the worst place to shop ever. disorganized, lousy merchandise, etc. Went there once out of curiosity and never again. Would take a basic bargain store over that horrible/dirty place anytime.
I still want to go there im from ontario and miss having walmart to buy all my kids cheap stuff at. Plus thier electronics and video games are about the cheapest you can get them. Just my opinion though.