2022 CFL Season

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm annoyed that the WHOLE DAMN LEAGUE is playing in the West while I'm in Ontario.

Easternmost game is in WPG.

Oh, well, sucky season anyhow.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I wound up seeing Winnipeg @ Hamilton on Saturday. A mutual friend of my son and I wanted to do that game. He wound up cancelling. Not a fan of Hamilton the team, city or their stadium. Who builds a stadium without public parking or access to real public transportation? I didn't really like either team but given the Roughriders are not going to catch Winnipeg in the west we elected to cheer for them. Unfortunately, the Tiger Pussies won. It was a solid win. If I did not know the record I would not have guessed Winnipeg was 12-1 and Hamilton was 3-9. Winnipeg's D failed to prevent a score of some sort on exactly 1 drive. Well 2 if you count the kneeldown drive.

I want to say this will be my last trip there but I have tickets to see Saskatchewan visit in October. Since the Saskatchewan @ Toronto game was in Halifax this year this was my only choice see the Riders play. They cancelled the Saskatchewan @ Toronto game last year too as part of their covid shortening.

Last edited:
Reactions: petros

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Saw the Riders play in Hamilton tonight. I froze my ass off. It was as cold as the Riders offense, The Rider defense made some plays but was generally weak. Hamilton would have done better if they just ran Wes[t] Point all night. He got 7-8 yards per play all night. The Riders had no answer to him. But they would inexplicably move away from him to less successful plays. This was fortunate for Saskatchewan because it kept them in the game. They wound up losing 18-14. The RIders are now 6-10. The Ticats are 5-10. The Riders play Calgary twice (their first meeting with them) after their bye. Hamilton plays Calgary, Ottawa and Montreal. I know a Saskatchewan win would have clinched Saskatchewan the crossover spot. Now I don't know who has the tiebreaker.

The game was marred by poor officiating. Not that they necessarily made bad calls but after every flag they had a bloody conference about it. I remember when refs would see something or think they see something and throw a flag and just call it. They don't have to discuss it for 5 minutes with other refs.

In the second quarter when Saskatchewan was playing into the wind I saw some weird punting. The first was a punt they did from the Hamilton 40 or so. They almost recovered it. They had several players onside. There were multiple flags. They picked up all but and illegal formation one on Saskatchewan as the no yards flags were not no yards since the Saskatchewan players were onside.

With about 14 seconds in the first half they punted straight up in the air. The punter actually came down with it. 00:00 on the clock. Flags all over the place. After much deliberation they decided it was a Saskatchewan 1st down with 00:01 left on the clock. Saskatchewan took the knee after that so the 10 minute deliberation was wasted. Apparently the deciding issue was whether the play had made it across the line of scrimmage. The refs said it had so now flag.