2016 Academy Awards

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Tonight's Oscars are being heralded as one the more competitive years in recent history, with a number of neck-and-neck races going on. Three front runners for Best Picture are "The Big Short", "Spotlight" and "The Revenant". I've seen the first two and agree that they are both excellent viewing, can't comment on the third though, maybe I'll try and sneak that in this afternoon.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I may watch it simply because I'm bored to tears these days. Usually I just watch movies but I'll go ahead and watch the Hollywood crowd pat themselves on the back for a change.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
There's a ot of politics swirling around this year's awards as well. With the second straight year of an all-white list of nominees, actors of colour are protesting that it appears race has become one of the determining factors of what qualifies as excellence in the motion picture industry.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
As it is another Academy Awards, I will pass. Rarely do I agree with the Best Picture and I really don't give a rats a-s-s about what who is wearing what or what cause some actor or actress cares to lecture us on in their acceptance speech. If something really good happens, it will be available on YouTube tomorrow.

Although this may be the last year they are done on merit rather than quota (I predict) so perhaps if one was to watch one this would be the one ... but no.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I suppose it comes down to what sort of cultural relevance you attach to Hollywood. In the big picture, to me at least, the Oscars aren't any more important than the Super Bowl or a new Star Wars movie, but in terms of entertainment it's one of the biggest productions of the year. I've got a couple of hours for that. Maybe even some nachos.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I suppose it comes down to what sort of cultural relevance you attach to Hollywood. In the big picture, to me at least, the Oscars aren't any more important than the Super Bowl or a new Star Wars movie, but in terms of entertainment it's one of the biggest productions of the year. I've got a couple of hours for that. Maybe even some nachos.

I prefer the SuperBowl (unless Pretty Boy is in it) or Star Wars. But enjoy your nachos.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I watched the acceptance speech of Mr. Rogers at the Emmy awards show years ago on you tube. I think that was pretty much the only acceptance speech I'd want to hear is from good people like him. One hell of a human being. The Hollywood crowd is all about their little click and quite honestly they kinda make me sick.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I watched the acceptance speech of Mr. Rogers at the Emmy awards show years ago on you tube. I think that was pretty much the only acceptance speech I'd want to hear is from good people like him. One hell of a human being. The Hollywood crowd is all about their little click and quite honestly they kinda make me sick.
Once upon a time the Klan used a Fred Rogers impersonator in a recorded telemarketing scheme. When Fred heard about it, he went ballistic. Good man. Good preacher. Lived by his principles.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Nothing but a mutual group back-slapping for a bunch of limousine luvvie liberals.

The most memorable moment of the night was when British costume designer Jenny Beavan - who was jokingly referred to as the "bag lady" by her friend Stephen Fry which got Twitter in an outrage - went up to collect her statue for her work on Mad Max: Fury Road.

As she walked up to the stage dressed in her usual, everyday clothes rather than some designer frock that costs £1,300, the Oscar stars refused to clap her. There was silence.

She later explained: 'I don't do frocks and absolutely don't do heels. I have a bad back. I look ridiculous in a beautiful gown.'

The limousine luvvie liberals obviously think a down-to-Earth, casually dressed British woman is beneath them. They obviously consider her to be one of the "little people", one of those they love to give self-righteous lectures to on how to live.

Sorry, Hollywood, but Jenny has had the last laugh.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm sure you have your aristocrats too.

Ours aren't as bad as the Hollywood ones.

Our aristocrats eat Ploughman's lunches and go grouse shooting in deerstalkers. You don't really see or here them and often forget they're there, unlike the Hollywood mob.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
As she walked up to the stage dressed in her usual, everyday clothes rather than some designer frock that costs £1,300, the Oscar stars refused to clap her. There was silence.

"Silence" is a bit of an overstatement, but the snobbery was apparent. It was pretty much gone by the end of her acceptance speech though, good on ya Jenny.

It was nice to see "Spotlight" take Best Picture. It was one of a pair of dramatizations of real-life events that were vying for top spot, either of which would have been a fine choice.

Leonardo Dicaprio's stock is dropping big time. He's about as plastic as they come.

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
Didn't he just win the Oscar?

Yes, he took best actor for his role in The Revenant. He's turned into another one of those flavour-of-the-week activists, his current focus is environmental issues. Not that there isn't a need for global attention in that area, but if you listen to him speak about it he doesn't have clue one.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I'm glad Spotlight took Best Picture. It's a withering look at the clergy abuse scandal and its reporting in Boston, a city where the Catholic Church had almost mythical and untouchable status. It's actually been received very favourably in the Catholic community, sickened by the enabling and protection of predatory pederasts in the priesthood, especially under Cardinal Law.. the main target of this movie.

As for the rest of the of it as a soapbox for homosexual or transgender affirmation and the fraud of 'crisis' of AGW.. well i had my remote close at hand. Actors and film people are the last people i'd rely on for reliable social commentary.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yes, he took best actor for his role in The Revenant. He's turned into another one of those flavour-of-the-week activists, his current focus is environmental issues. Not that there isn't a need for global attention in that area, but if you listen to him speak about it he doesn't have clue one.

Oh yeah absolutely. All of Hollywood is pretty NIMBYish when it comes to activism. Perhaps it makes them feel better while living an extravagant life style.

Climate Change is real.... please ignore my massive carbon footprint.