12 dead in attack on Paris newspaper; France goes on alert

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

France raised its security alert to the highest level and reinforced security at houses of worship, stores, media offices and transportation. Top government officials were holding an emergency meeting and Hollande planned a nationally televised address in the evening.

A witness who works nearby, Benoit Bringer, told the iTele network he saw multiple masked men armed with automatic weapons at the newspaper's office in central Paris. The attackers went to the second floor and started firing indiscriminately in the newsroom, said Christophe DeLoire of Reporters Without Borders.

"This is the darkest day of the history of the French press," he said.

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2015/jan/07/shots-fired-at-french-satirical-paper-say-police/

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

France raised its security alert to the highest level and reinforced security at houses of worship, stores, media offices and transportation. Top government officials were holding an emergency meeting and Hollande planned a nationally televised address in the evening.

A witness who works nearby, Benoit Bringer, told the iTele network he saw multiple masked men armed with automatic weapons at the newspaper's office in central Paris. The attackers went to the second floor and started firing indiscriminately in the newsroom, said Christophe DeLoire of Reporters Without Borders.

"This is the darkest day of the history of the French press," he said.

12 dead in attack on Paris newspaper; France goes on alert | UTSanDiego.com Mobile

Obviously, nothing to do with the Religion of Peace.

Every paper in the western world should print the Mohammed cartoons on the front page tomorrow.

And it is time to limit Muslim immigration to the west.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Every paper in the western world should print the Mohammed cartoons on the front page tomorrow.

Don't you mean "more than we already do?"

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

No thanks.

I am friends with many peaceful, civilized Muslims who have family that would move to Canada and actually benefit our economy.

It would be wreckless and irresponsible to shut them out because of an incident at a magazine stand that had nothing to do with them.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
No thanks.

I am friends with many peaceful, civilized Muslims who have family that would move to Canada and actually benefit our economy.

It would be wreckless and irresponsible to shut them out because of an incident at a magazine stand that had nothing to do with them.

That's lovely.

And if they are peaceful, civilized Muslims they will not mind seeing our newspapers print a cartoon in defiance of murderers.

Oh, and if they are peaceful and civilized, they are not really followers of Mohammed, are they?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Apparently they are and they also support freedom of speech so you can take your baseless assumptions about them to the next rally.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

fuk radical islam. fuk it twice.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Apparently they are and they support freedom of speech so you can take your baseless assumptions about them to the next rally.

My God, do every single one of you "progressives" have a problem with reading comprehension?

Is it a prerequisite to get into the club? Or just a natural extension of having a "progressive" mindset?

I had no assumptions, baseless or otherwise. I said "And if they are peaceful, civilized Muslims they will not mind seeing our newspapers print a cartoon in defiance of murderers."

That assumes nothing.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Freedom of speech means you get to choose to put out something inflammatory, not that you must do it.

A lot of people tend to miss that critical distinction.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Freedom of speech means you get to choose to put out something inflammatory, not that you must do it.

A lot of people tend to miss that critical distinction.

Only those who exercise their rights maintain them.

There is no "must" in freedom of speech, but occasionally there is a "should".

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
My God, do every single one of you "progressives" have a problem with reading comprehension?

Is it a prerequisite to get into the club? Or just a natural extension of having a "progressive" mindset?

I had to assumptions, baseless or otherwise. I said "And if they are peaceful, civilized Muslims they will not mind seeing our newspapers print a cartoon in defiance of murderers."

That assumes nothing.

Hey I am just responding to your illogical premise that followers of Muhammad can't also support free speech.

Don't shoot the messenger.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Only those who exercise their rights maintain them.

There is no "must" in freedom of speech, but occasionally there is a "should".

There is simply the freedom and the consequences of that freedom.

Is that freedom compromised from this one event?

Nope.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Hey I am just responding to your illogical premise that followers of Muhammad can't also support free speech.

Don't shoot the messenger.

They can not.

Read the Koran.

Learn a bit about the religion.

I shall cast terror into the hearts of the infidels. Strike off their heads, strike off the very tips of their fingers.
Quran 8:12,

Slay them wherever you find them. Drive them out of the places from which they drove you. Idolatry is worse than carnage.
Quran 2:190-2:191

Sure sounds like freedom to me. Not.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Look, they exist.

They really do.

Maybe you feel that every Muslim has to rigidly follow the Koran or whatever taking point you need to justify your illogical premise but I don't know what else to tell you.

I work with them every day.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
There is simply the freedom and the consequences of that freedom.

Is that freedom compromised from this one event?

Nope.

Of course it is compromised!

How many Mohammed cartoons are printed in western papers?

How many pictures of Mohammed are floating in jars of pi$$ in art galleries?

How many people are in hiding, or living in armored houses?

Do you really not believe acts like this force the media into self-censorship?

If that is the case, look out your window.....there might be a unicorn prancing through your back yard.

Look, they exist.

They really do.

Maybe you feel that every Muslim has to rigidly follow the Koran or whatever taking point you need to justify your illogical premise but I don't know what else to tell you.

I work with then every day.

Not at all. There are all kinds of decent Muslims.

Islam is not decent, and is incompatible with western democracy.

If "Muslims" are willing to forego Islam, they can be decent.

They can not follow the Koran and be decent.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Any participant of any religion can pretty much pick and choose whatever parts of their scriptures they want to follow. Especially in this day and age where people are becoming more cognizant of others.

As for the media, it already has the freedom to say what it wants bro.

I'm sure the bigger outlets are the ones that have higher security so they have even less reason to censor themselves than the magazine stands that are looking for some hits.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Any participant of any religion can pretty much pick and choose whatever parts of their scriptures they want to follow. Especially in this day and age where people are becoming more cognizant of others.

As for the media, it already has the freedom to say what it wants bro.

I'm sure the bigger outlets are the ones that have higher security so they have even less reason to censor themselves than the magazine stands that are looking for some hits.

I'm sorry, but that is just so ignorant of the reality.......

How many newspapers in Canada printed any of the Mohammed cartoons?