Britain Adopts Islamic Law

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
and what does any of that have to do with Muslims being allowed to set up an Alternative dispute Tribunal based on their religeous laws? A tribunal that is within the existing framwork of English law. No laws have been changed to allow this. BOTH patries must agree to use the tribunal and agree that the rulling of the tribunal is binding. BOTH parties still have the option of appealing the tribunals rullings if they contravene existing English laws.

So what's the problem?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
So what is the point of a religious tribunal then if it has to conform to English law? I think one law for all is suiting.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So what is the point of a religious tribunal then if it has to conform to English law? I think one law for all is suiting.

that doesn't really apply to a lot of civil law though... there aren't the same sort of set laws in a lot of civil law that there are in criminal.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The tribunal makes sense to try for resolution BEFORE it goes to the Courts. Arbitration is a process we've had in Canada for years.

Multi culturalism isn't working. It sounded pretty - and if everyone left their stupid wars and superstitions at home when they chose to leave, it might have worked. Eventually it becomes segregation ... and we know how popular that is. There are some things we can learn from the Americans....

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
what a load of liberal crap!! like somehow we are better societies when we bend over to other cultures...

No wonder other countries wonder what Canadian culture is..we are constant on this front.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Religious tribunals were banned here in Ontario a few years ago, thankfully.

Because we do consider ourselves a multicultural country, I don't see a need here personally. Perhaps a Muslim would disagree with me, but, when it comes to civil issues, our courts already take culture into account.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
I don't consider this a multicultural country..I consider this Canada with lots of cultures...

It was only banned in ontario after McGuinty tried to inact it and ran up against many roadblocks..he took the political route, switched sides and banned them.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The "religeous" tribunals were only banned in Ontario after the Muslim population tried to set up one for themselves. They were fine untill then. The problem stemmed from the racist and biggoted a$$holes trying to stop Muslims only. They WERE fine with the others. The Government had no choice but to ban them ALL if they were going to ban any.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I'd like to point out that using the Sharia courts is not some new thing.

If all parties volunteer we can use any dispute resolution method we want and have it enforceable in civil court through a contract.
I could let someone use the Jedi Code, Star Fleet Regulations or the Sacred Rules of the No-Homers (they are allowed one) to solve our disputes.

My only worry is the undue influence that Muslims (especially women) may feel to be compelled into accepting Sharia justice, even though it is less equitable and they may or may not believe in it.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
and what does any of that have to do with Muslims being allowed to set up an Alternative dispute Tribunal based on their religeous laws? A tribunal that is within the existing framwork of English law. No laws have been changed to allow this. BOTH patries must agree to use the tribunal and agree that the rulling of the tribunal is binding. BOTH parties still have the option of appealing the tribunals rullings if they contravene existing English laws.

So what's the problem?

Special rights based on race and/or religion. It makes the PC group hypocrits plain and simple.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Special rights based on race and/or religion. It makes the PC group hypocrits plain and simple.
Explain how it's special rights. I don't mean to sound obtuse, but, since I can choose a variety of paths to take in conflict resolution, including (to the best of my knowledge), choosing to have Catholic Family Services mediate family conflicts for me, I don't really see how being able to choose the same variety of paths is special rights for Muslims. Granted, Catholic Family Services may not be available in Britain but I'm willing to bet there are a variety of similar organizations.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

and what "special rights" would that be.....in regard to ATD's...... did you bother checking the number of ATD's available in England? Probably not....the biggots prefer to keep their eyes closed to anything that does not support their narrow world view.:roll:

and the title of this thread is misleading and inflamitory...another racist and/or bigotted way of putting things.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The "religeous" tribunals were only banned in Ontario after the Muslim population tried to set up one for themselves. They were fine untill then. The problem stemmed from the racist and biggoted a$$holes trying to stop Muslims only. They WERE fine with the others. The Government had no choice but to ban them ALL if they were going to ban any.

I love how people are always called racist when they want to preserve Canada culture.

Yes, Canada has one.. British rule.. take a look at our money if you have any questions.

If Muslims what to live under Islamic Laws, there are plenty of countries in the Middle East they can move to...

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Opposing Faith based tribunals makes one a bigot, Gerry?

No...opposing one particular faith based tribunal over others is biggoted....like I said....everyone seemed fine about the catholic and Jewish tribunals....it wasn't until the Muslims tried to bring theirs in that there was an outcry.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
No...opposing one particular faith based tribunal over others is biggoted....like I said....everyone seemed fine about the catholic and Jewish tribunals....it wasn't until the Muslims tried to bring theirs in that there was an outcry.

You've never heard of the Inquisition? 8O

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
and ADT's do NOT circumvent the laws.
This ploy is to set up sharia law through a loophole that allows ADT's. This is a step backwards for the moderate muslims(women and children).Voluntary compliance,yeah right.This sharia law also wants to encompass domestic violence,a criminal offence,wonder why? Have you stopped beating your wife,or do you want to continue and slap her around under the protection of sharia law? ......When did Islam become a race by the way? Stupid is as stupid does.