War Crimes?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
That and the 2 million barrels of oil a day that Saddam would added to Iraq's production.

That, and Kuwait has been considered the 19th province of Iraq by Baghdad.

That, and difficulties at home made a war good excused to divert attention, especially after the failed invasion of Iran.

That, and Saddam saw himself as a new Nebuchadnezzar.

All more compelling reasons.

Compelling only if you consider the blessing he got from the U.S.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
That's an excuse.

Why would it be in the US interests to allow for the invasion of an oil producing state, sending the region into chaos, the price of oil higher, and the economy into a recession which ultimately cost the President his job?

Why fight what you inadvertenly agreed with in your last post?:lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Does nobody remember how the British took out their little box of crayons and drew Kuwait on the map to give Britain it's own source of oil. Kuwait was a part of Iraq and that Kuwait oil was rightfully Iraq's. Most of the problems in the area are the result of foreign meddling.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Does nobody remember how the British took out their little box of crayons and drew Kuwait on the map to give Britain it's own source of oil. Kuwait was a part of Iraq and that Kuwait oil was rightfully Iraq's. Most of the problems in the area are the result of foreign meddling.
yay...
I would like to add that every where there is conflict was once a British or European colony...

When ever Britain left a colony and drew up the lines they knew full well they were cramming topgether in one place or another under one NEW country people that hated one and other.....And it would profit them in future by policing it or selling arms to one of the crammed in.....

Britannia still rules in one form or another.....

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006

Oh was it? I was under the belief Iraq didn't exist until until Britain used that crayon to draw Iraq.

Iraq was never a nation, thats why its 1/5 Kurd, 1/5 Sunni and 3/5 Shia. It never existed , so to claim Kuwait was part of it is malarky. They were both Ottoman, as close as you get.

Kuwait existed defacto outside of the ottoman empire and had friendly relations with Britain going back to the East India Company who kept Persia at bay. Kuwait had always maintained good relations with England and sought to be part of its Empire rather than the Ottoman (who were none to friendly to Arabs).

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Either all country can be tried for war crimes (if appropriate) or no countries can and the whole thing should be scrapped.

There is no place for some countries to be bound by international law and others immune.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
That's an excuse.

Why would it be in the US interests to allow for the invasion of an oil producing state, sending the region into chaos, the price of oil higher, and the economy into a recession which ultimately cost the President his job?

The us interest in this is very simple, saddam invades koweits, us and their allies will have to go and liberate koweities, meaning a war ,which is very good for the US economy, and weapons makers which are the same as those who invest in political bush 1 compaign will make tremendous profit out of this.

As long as the Middle east is in chaos, it is all in US interest, period.

You are supposed to be a genious in economy, you don't impress me very much my friend.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I got news for ya, US weapon makers don't need a US war to make money, there is plenty of other fighting for them to reap the rewards with. And they do.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
I got news for ya, US weapon makers don't need a US war to make money, there is plenty of other fighting for them to reap the rewards with. And they do.

True, however knowing that usa spend 45% of the worldwide military spending, having a constant war like there is right now, which they make tremendous amount of money + those who are fighting for them to reap the rewards with, and having a middle east completly in chaos and instability, surely make them very happy.

Toro

Senate Member
The us interest in this is very simple, saddam invades koweits, us and their allies will have to go and liberate koweities, meaning a war ,which is very good for the US economy, and weapons makers which are the same as those who invest in political bush 1 compaign will make tremendous profit out of this.

As long as the Middle east is in chaos, it is all in US interest, period.

You are supposed to be a genious in economy, you don't impress me very much my friend.

Your totally wrong, Logic.

War was not good for the US economy. Soaring oil prices pushed the economy into recession in 1991 and ultimately cost Bush I his job.

That doesn't make any sense.

Toro

Senate Member
True, however knowing that usa spend 45% of the worldwide military spending, having a constant war like there is right now, which they make tremendous amount of money + those who are fighting for them to reap the rewards with, and having a middle east completly in chaos and instability, surely make them very happy.

Total sales by the US defense industry is less than Wal-Mart.

The US economy is driven by the consumer, who accounts for over 70% of economic activity. Consumers don't like war because war creates uncertainty.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Your totally wrong, Logic.

War was not good for the US economy. Soaring oil prices pushed the economy into recession in 1991 and ultimately cost Bush I his job.

That doesn't make any sense.

The spike in 1991 was nothing campared to today and if they didn't want war then, what changed in 2001?

Something dosen't make sense here and it smells like a bull.:lol:

To be fair I don't think the U.S. wanted war at all in 1991 but a dopey diplomat gave Iraq the wrong signals and the rest is history. The current admin went in for sketchy intellingence that many outside the U.S. didn't buy but here we are with high oil prices and a nation falling into increasing debt because those people who say they support the troops won't give one more nickle to help pay for this immoral, illegal and disastrous war.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Total sales by the US defense industry is less than Wal-Mart.

The US economy is driven by the consumer, who accounts for over 70% of economic activity. Consumers don't like war because war creates uncertainty.

Are you drunk?

Toro

Senate Member
The spike in 1991 was nothing campared to today and if they didn't want war then, what changed in 2001?

Something dosen't make sense here and it smells like a bull.:lol:

The differences are exactly what occurred. In 1991, the economy went into a recession. It did not in 2003.

The economy is somewhat different today than it was back then as it is less fuel intensive. Also, you didn't have China in the world economy like you do today, which has made an enormous difference. Finally, fiscal policy was quite different as the US government was a drag on growth and interest rates were high. That was the complete opposite at the beginning of this decade.

Of course, other factors are at play. But the conventional thinking up until even a few years ago was that oil above $40-$50 would push the US and global economy into recession. In fact, OPEC believe that up until five years ago. The reason why they didn't ramp capacity was because they were observing consumer spending in the US. If consumer spending had shown hints of slowing, OPEC would have turned on the taps. (As it turns out, they probably couldn't have done anything anyways.)

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Honestly Toro you make no sense at all. If the 1991 war caused the reccession( which I don't buy) then why the rush to war in 2001? If high oil prices caused the reccesion why did double the cost of oil not do the same currently? If war causes high oil prices why did the price of oil drop during the invasion of Iraq? How do they make margerine taste like butter?

I'll tell you what it is on your part.....an excuse and it's funny watching you stumble and fumble all over yourself making them up.:lol:

However, like I said before, unlike the current conflict, the one in 1991 was not intentional. They were both an "oops" though.:lol:

Stop trying to convince me the 1991 gulf war was done on purpose because you're doing a great job so far.:p

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
No, but I will be later.

Consumers don't like uncertainty. Uncertainty could mean job losses, and what crimps consumer spending more than anything is job losses.

Bush Sr had an approval rating of 91% upon the first gulf war the highest ever recorded for a U.S. president and Jr. enjoyed an approval rating of arounf 75 % leading up to and during the Iraq invasion.

Yeah, consumers hate war alright. They only hate war when it drags on and on and on and on and on....oops sorry got carried away. Consumers on the lead up to and shortly into it seem to have no problem at all with it. Most people, including Bush, expected this conflict to be a turkey shoot over in a month or so......oops....the word of the day.:lol: