To move or not to move...

Billy

May 29, 2007
I live in Calgary and have a good job working for the health region. I've been here about 16 months and it is a real good job with competetive pay and great benefits. This is the 4th job I've had in 6 years. Yesterday I was headhunted my a major energy company headquartered here. Although there hasn't been a job offer yet, the discussions have started. If they were to make me an offer I know it would be for considerable more than I make now and hopefully the benefits would be equal or possibly better. Because they are oil and gas related, it is the kind of company that does large bonus cheques yearly...nice perk in my books.

My dilema is if I get an offer I don't know if I should take it or stick around here. I like it here plus I don't know how bad it looks to have had that many jobs in such a short period of time. On the other hand, I have a 3 year old and another baby on the way in September and my wife stays at home...so the extra money is surely needed. Part of me thinks it is a red hot market here right now, so many people are jumping around and finding an employer that is able to offer them more.

Any thoughts or advice?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Its a tough call. Money is a strong motivator. If the working conditions are equal its a no brainer. But you have no idea if your new boss will be dickhead or whether the work environment will be healthy. Is working a job you hate a risk you would take for more money? And if you take more money, would you be willing to downgrade to get out of a potentially bad environment?

Of course, the new job may be a great working environment with a great boss. But you won't know that until you actually start working there.

Billy

May 29, 2007
My current boss has been one of the most challenging people I have ever worked with and for. When I say I like it here it's my co-workers and the actual job that I do, as well as the great benefits and casual work environment. I almost left in January because of my boss though, so I would suspect any boss will be an improvement to here. I am more worried about what this will potentially look like on my resume.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
With the dollar headed north I would suggest looking for the most security at the moment. As the Neocons send the economy into a tailspin, people are going to be losing work soon enough. I would consider that when factoring the best move. Good luck with it.

daisygirl

Electoral Member
May 28, 2007
Ontario
Billy, I wish you luck and good health whatever you decide to do. I'm sure that in the end you will make the right decision for you and your family. Meanwhile, congrats on being so desirable! :flower:

:wav: :wav::wav:

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007
With the dollar headed north I would suggest looking for the most security at the moment. As the Neocons send the economy into a tailspin, people are going to be losing work soon enough. I would consider that when factoring the best move. Good luck with it.

"As the neocons send the economy into a tailspin"? What the heck are you talking about?

Billy

May 29, 2007
Billy, I wish you luck and good health whatever you decide to do. I'm sure that in the end you will make the right decision for you and your family. Meanwhile, congrats on being so desirable! :flower:

:wav: :wav::wav:

I appreciate your comments but seriously, if you have a pulse in Alberta, you're desirable.