Vitamin D Bombshell

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Get a copy of today's Globe. I can't link it. The scientific community has been asleep at the switch for years. A groundbreaking study from south of the border is to be released in June that states without reservation the chief cause of cancer in northern climes is lack of Vitamin D. Warned against sun exposure for years by our brightest and best, we have been needlessly ensnarled in a cancer epidemic.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
According to the article, 1500 Americans die annually from skin cancers while 1500 of them die per day from other serious cancers.
It has been a miscue "of breathtaking proportion" by the scientific community according to one leading spokesman cited in the Globe today.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
It isn't a new thing that the lack of Vit. D has bad effects. I've linked to it a few times. I think the Globe has been asleep at the switch more than science has. It's been mentioned in several books that I know of including "The Doctor's Book of Vitamin Therapy: Megavitamins for Health" (1974) - by Harold Rosenberg and "Minerals, Supplements, and Vitamins: The Essential Guide" - H. Winter-Griffth, MD

Last edited:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Gilbert, I've talked about this issue since it became a hot button last summer. The Globe's been on it for quite awhile. Its front page coverage today is testimony to the importance of this discovery. I can't think of any health breakthrough of the last ten years that would be as critical to Canadians.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yeah, I agree. The media is into sensationalism, so issues can have been around for decades, but until it becaomes a hot item, the media ignores it. The first book I mentioned having info about the effects of not enough Vit. D was published in 1974.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
As the article mentioned, the floor of science is littered with vitamin fads, announcements and discoveries that have gone awry - or maybe in this case, as you've mentioned, unnoticed. The study covered is going to shake health perspectives and practices to the core. And in turn save one helluva lot of lives.
As another industry spokesman is quoted as saying in the article: Linus Pauling (the guru of vitamin C) was right! He just missed it by a letter.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Two stories have been posted on this board in the last two weeks that have huge consequence. This is one of them. The other is the Colony Collapse Disorder thread initiated I think by Stretch. They go basically nowhere. We're too busy chasing homosexuals and arguing about divinity. Absolutely nuts.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
A bit of a sidetrack here but...

I always found it odd that we have been advised to slather ourselves with copious quantities of sunscreen when we need the UV rays to produce the Vitamin D. OK, sure, in the short term we save a few lives from skin cancer but long term I see this practice as something that will inhibit the evolution of our species and leave us more susceptible to UV radiation instead of developing a resistance to it.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Maybe it's a conspiracy.:smile:

Damned little green men controlling all our scientists anyway! Johnson and Johnson are both aliens... I didn't want to be the first to let that particlauar cat outta the bag but there it is :p

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007
Two stories have been posted on this board in the last two weeks that have huge consequence. This is one of them. The other is the Colony Collapse Disorder thread initiated I think by Stretch. They go basically nowhere. We're too busy chasing homosexuals and arguing about divinity. Absolutely nuts.

We're too busy chasing homosexuals? I hope you don't mind me asking but what television are you watching? All I see day in and day out on practically every station and every show is how wonderful homosexuality is and how we must not only accept it but celebrate it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
We're too busy chasing homosexuals? I hope you don't mind me asking but what television are you watching? All I see day in and day out on practically every station and every show is how wonderful homosexuality is and how we must not only accept it but celebrate it.

You're illustrating his point... everyone's so busy arguing about homosexuality and religion, that they're ignoring the important things like how to stop the cancer epidemic.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
last yr I think it was there was a study released from the uk stating the the use of sunscreens causes skin cancer....I told my boss about it and he just laughed at me...then about a week later it was mentioned on CBC....

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
You're illustrating his point... everyone's so busy arguing about homosexuality and religion, that they're ignoring the important things like how to stop the cancer epidemic.

Doesn't a Vitamin D deficiency cause homosexuality. . .or at least really bushy moustaches?

Pangloss

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Doesn't a Vitamin D deficiency cause homosexuality. . .or at least really bushy moustaches?

Pangloss

Hmm, well, lack of D vitamins does influence calcium absorbtion. Lack of calcium affects bone formation. You may be right Pangloss, it may be how men end up 'limp wristed'.

sorry... couldn't resist.