The Thought Police Are Going to Gain Ground

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
With the recent school shooting so soon after the comment by Imus I just can't help but think that the thought police are going to go after video games and music and actually get something band or at least create some new rules. I do think though that if we are going to go after violence in the media, then we have to ask about violence in the news. Does it make sense for one form of media to be complaining about violence in another form of media while at the same time exploiting the death of 24 university students 24 hours a day for ratings?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
They can make all the rules they want as long as the keep it 'Merica the Free. Leave us poor Canadians to wollow in our ignorance of how to live safley and morally. :roll:

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
honestly, they can't target the media and change everything. It takes way to much time, and money. Just wait and see, it'll be the hot topic for a week or month, and then we'll be back to where we were. To be honest, i don't even think its the media that plays the large part in these type of situations.
Ask yourself, these people who shoot themselves, or go on these rampages like in taht school, do you think their parents were there with them when they were growing up, teaching them right from wrong? Just think about that, sure the media does have an impact, but definitely not the greatest. I play a tone of shooting games, and watch a tone of violent videos, but i NEVER ever would even think about killing anyone, never ever crossed my mind.
Just something to think about :).

Reactions: L Gilbert

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
With the recent school shooting so soon after the comment by Imus I just can't help but think that the thought police are going to go after video games and music and actually get something band or at least create some new rules. I do think though that if we are going to go after violence in the media, then we have to ask about violence in the news. Does it make sense for one form of media to be complaining about violence in another form of media while at the same time exploiting the death of 24 university students 24 hours a day for ratings?
There's lots of comedy on tv, do periods of comedy break out in the streets?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
There's lots of comedy on tv, do periods of comedy break out in the streets?

people quote KITH and monty python ad nauseum, and imitate silly walks.

I honestly feel that the fiction shows are clearly fiction in most viewers eyes, however. What worries me is when something like this happens it gets plastered over every newspaper and every channel for months and months so everyone knows exactly how it happened, who to, and sometimes even why. then it becomes something a little more tempting for the growing psycopath

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
agreed. But we'll have to assume there will always be crap parents and screwed up kids around.

unfortunetly there will be...there isn't much we can change about that. Altho i think trying to get these kids off the streets is one way to perhaps lower the risks of these kids turning out to becoming these horrific murders. Organizing and getting involved in sports and regional activities definitely would help. I think not only does the role of the parents play a very large part, but the groups these kids and people hang out with. If we get them in the right groups, we can get them on the right track :).

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
people quote KITH and monty python ad nauseum, and imitate silly walks.
Not around here.

I honestly feel that the fiction shows are clearly fiction in most viewers eyes, however. What worries me is when something like this happens it gets plastered over every newspaper and every channel for months and months so everyone knows exactly how it happened, who to, and sometimes even why. then it becomes something a little more tempting for the growing psycopath
5 year old kids know what's on tv is fiction. Grown ups oughtta grow up.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
unfortunetly there will be...there isn't much we can change about that. Altho i think trying to get these kids off the streets is one way to perhaps lower the risks of these kids turning out to becoming these horrific murders. Organizing and getting involved in sports and regional activities definitely would help. I think not only does the role of the parents play a very large part, but the groups these kids and people hang out with. If we get them in the right groups, we can get them on the right track :).
Some of that would probably help out alright. I've often thought that there oughtta be curfews: get caught out past curfew, parents get hefty fine. It's like pretty much anything else, you want their attention, hit em in the wallet.

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
Exactly. I think the parents are the deciding factor.:-|

they definitely are very important. I know as a kid, i looked up to my parents for advice adn the knowledge i needed to get somewhere in life. They guided me in the right direction. They taught me right from wrong, and i think thats all kids really need. If they don't have that figure in their family to look up too, well then thats where they become rebelious and these sort of murders and other horrific disasters happen. Now i don't speak for all children, because there are many who never had that parental figure in their childhood when growning up, and are great people today. BUt for those corrupted in our society today, i would ask them, if they had someone who loved them, and cared for them, and someone who wanted to teach them the right from wrong.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

I understand the point you're making, but the nightly news is 'real', real life happenings,
and I think most of us want to know what's going on in the world all during the day while
we are going about our lives. The fact that they are competing for ratings is irritating,
but there are more than one source of news, so choose one that is just concerned with
informing us of current events. I hate the way CNN and others like them dig dig dig, for
gruesome facts, want people to break down and tell of awful things they saw, constantly
asking them how they feel, and what did they think when they saw what happened, there
is no positive side to all of that, it's just, so you won't turn the dial, they want to scare
and shock everyone, and when they interview people who can't deliver that for them,
they get rid of them in short order.

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
Some of that would probably help out alright. I've often thought that there oughtta be curfews: get caught out past curfew, parents get hefty fine. It's like pretty much anything else, you want their attention, hit em in the wallet.

hey, that definitely would help. i know in my city there is curfew for teenagers up to 16yrs old, that they have to be cleared off the streets by mid-night. That definitely would be a start.

But what we really need to do, is find out what these kids needs are, what do they want...thats what we really need to find out, and believe me, i'm very sure it'd be common amoung all these young or old offenders of such crimes as suicide, and rampages.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Well, Kelowna and Nelson both have skateboard/rollerblade parks among other things. A month or 6 weeks of wilderness training each wouldn't hurt. Used to be all kinds of things parents would subject their kids to when I was a kid. Stuff like accordion lessons, baseball, scouts, cadets, camping, etc.

lysyfacet

Life is good!
Apr 12, 2007
Brampton, ON
Well, Kelowna and Nelson both have skateboard/rollerblade parks among other things. A month or 6 weeks of wilderness training each wouldn't hurt. Used to be all kinds of things parents would subject their kids to when I was a kid. Stuff like accordion lessons, baseball, scouts, cadets, camping, etc.

those are exactly the type of things we need to get kids involved in. and its not that we sign them up for say hockey, and then just drive them and then pick them up. The parents have to be supportive and encouraging, and also show in interest in what the kids/teenagers are participating in. The way you bring up your kid, is almost how he/she will become as a person down the road. The parents are what need to fix these issues, its not the media 100%.Sure its easy to point the finger, but its harder to actually find the solutions to the problems. I think everything around the children has an impact, but the parents, the figure they look up to childhood, is the biggest issue.