Quebec as a Nation

Do you recognized Québec as being a nation ?

• Total voters

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Only slightly tongue in cheek…

Real estate agents and surveyor teams across Canada who’ve been waiting in breathless anticipation for Stephen Harper’s new book “How to Disassemble a Nation” flocked to book and department stores early yesterday gobbling up the weighty tome. Heralded by ‘Let’s build firewalls around Alberta’ proponent Ralph Klein as the only “true vision” for Canada, the Harper encyclical was praised by Party Quebecois spokesperson Gille Hubris as the roadmap for peace in the eastern townships. The landmark proposition for declaring nations within nations as a recipe for peace was eloquently acclaimed by George Bush as; “Decisive action..” reminding him of an old saying his father used to employ… “Fool me once in Tennesse and it counts as twice in Nebraska…or something like that….”.

Harpers vision of “HarperLand in the bosom of the Rockies” (Subtitle of “How to disassemble a Nation), a community comprised exclusively of white-hetrosexual-godfearing-petroleum-multi-billionaires was widely praised by Taliban, Iraqi…virtually every Middle Eastern kingdom or dictatorship welcoming Canadian support for entrenching tribalism as a social organizing principle among the principles and sentiments of modern democracy.

Some supporters concerned over a potential paradox arising due to entrenching speculation and perhaps controversy through the combination of a “multi-nation-recognition-policy” juxtaposed to assurances made by the Prime Minister that the unsuitability of “dual citizenship status” would likely be the next rising jewel in the crown of Canadian….government….

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Quebec is not a nation, it is a province in Canada and just because a Liberal Leader wannabe said it doesn't make it so.

Good catch OttawaBill,:kermit:

There you go, we recognize those who are anti-arabs, ironically they are the same who are anti-french, good one sassylassie.

Let me tell you one thing, quebec is more a nation than the rest of canada all combined together, they are the only one who has a total different culture than the rest, and different language.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Logic7
So how long will it take for the Quebecois to evolve? Isn't it the French government that has an entirely separate ministry to protect it's language? Establishing boundaries even at the level of "recognition" invites divisiveness not equanimity.

General James Wolfe

Nominee Member
Oct 30, 2006
Logic 7

The biggest mistake that the British did in Canada was not expelling the French completly from Quebec like they did to the Acadians in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. If the British Royal Army expelled the French from Quebec then this would not be happening today.

The British were too soft on the French Quebecers and because of their softness the Canadains have the trouble with Quebec Nationalism.

Face it Quebec is a belongs to of people of English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh decent and not the people of French decent.

The British defeated the French in the 7 Years War or the French and Indian War and by defeating the French the British rightfully claimed North America (Canada and America) as an Anglophone zone not a Francophone zone.

The French Canadains can live in Quebec if they agree that Quebec belongs to Canada and that Canada is not a billengual nation but an English speaking nation and if they cant they can leave.

LONG LIVE CANADA
DEATH TO QUEBEC NATIONALISM

GENERAL WOLFE KICKED FRENCH ASS IN THE BATTLE OF QUEBEC CITY AND GENERAL AMHURST DEFEATED THE FRENCH AT THE BATTLE OF MONTREAL.

LONG LIVE GENERALS WOLFE AND AMHURST.

QUEBEC IS ENGLISH TODAY
QUEBEC IS ENGLISH TOMMORROW
QUEBEC IS ENGLISH FOREVER

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Logic7
So how long will it take for the Quebecois to evolve? Isn't it the French government that has an entirely separate ministry to protect it's language? Establishing boundaries even at the level of "recognition" invites divisiveness not equanimity.

To date there has been a lacking of equality because no matter how much multicult is cited, it has been not a gathering of equal cultures but a singular culture that accecpted window-dressing/diluted versions of other cultures to exist so long as they served the master culture.

When we have official recognition of equality then the new tribalism can take root that does not bring forth special statuses based on ethnicity or culture. These things take time to bring about. The "canadian way" must surely die in the process. Eventually there will be no canada in the global realm, but canada won't be alone in its demise. Its a brave new world. Let go of past.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I agree entirely.

The attitude that suggests that through some "declaration" of "nation-hood" or recognition of same that you're going to be somehow magically imune to the effects of industrialization or you'll qualify somehow for unlooked-for and unearned wealth as a "sovereign state" existing like a parasite within the host of a larger "state" is hardly a concept that appears available to the notion of extending....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
General James Wolfe,

If the English had kicked out the French as you so desire do you think the war of 1812 would have been won?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
As long as we are parked next to a giant that by it's nature, just about buries any opposing culture, Quebec's language, and way of life, are going to be threatened. I'm not blaming the U.S.. It is just there, and with all the movies, and cable TV, there will be an on going pressure, certainly on the language, and to a lessor extent, on Quebec's culture. I think it is a futile battle, and that Quebec will lose that battle quicker by separation.

General James Wolfe

Nominee Member
Oct 30, 2006
Jay

The expullsion of French Canadains from Canada could have helped the British and Canadain Forces in the War of 1812 alot because we know that the Americans had a lot of help from Francophones from Quebec and Louisiana and even Saint Domingue (Hati and Domincian Republic).

I wished that the British won the War of 1812 because I wished that America would have been reconqued by the British with the help of their great allied the Canadians. I have hated the indepence of America after the Revolutionary War, I consider all American Patriots traitors to the British Empire unlike the great loyal people of Canada. The only Americans in the Revolutionary War were the Loyalist, people like

Governor William Franklyn of Jew Jersy (Benjamin Franklyn's son)
Governor Thomas Hutchingson Governor of Massachutes
General Benadict Arnold

I wished that America was defeated by the Royal Armed Forces of Great Britain and Royal Colonial Troops of Canada, then the World would have been alot better of.

LONG LIVE ROYAL CANADA
DEATH TO QUEBEC NATIONALISM

tiguy

Nov 28, 2006
Being a "franco-ontarien" I stand in solidarity with the Québecois seperatist movement. Being in the belly of the beat, I understand and know what it's like to be loathed and hated. To be treated as if your language and your culture is simply an inconvenience. Trying to get french service in a federal office is made to be very difficult. "Why don't you just speak english...conform to your surroundings?" Because conforming means an assured death to my language and my culture.

I can tell you all that Québec is so very distinct from the rest of Canada. Earlier in this thread somebody said something about "souverainiste" and "seperatist" meaning something completely different to the Québecois than to English canadians. If only those two words have a significant difference, think of all the other words that mean something different to each nation. The Québecois have a very different mentality than that of the rest of Canada. Québec and English speaking Canada are different in the sense that the United Kingdom is different from France. Two very diffrent cultures and languages. Very different attitudes towards life, work and world views. Sure there must be some Québecois and some Anglo-canadians that are very similar, I would be a fool to generalise in such a way. But for the majority, that is the way it is.

On the other hand, if Québec does seperate, the status of french in the rest of Canada, will shoot down. And francophones from the Acadien in the East to the Franco-colombien in the west will eventually die. But if the Québecois ever decide that they need independance to survive as a people and a culture, I stand with Québec. And hell, I'll probobly try to move there. As a refugee of some sort. Haha.

Furthermore, to that General James Wolfe goof, you're the reason why Québec needs independance.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
As long as we are parked next to a giant that by it's nature, just about buries any opposing culture, Quebec's language, and way of life, are going to be threatened. I'm not blaming the U.S.. It is just there, and with all the movies, and cable TV, there will be an on going pressure, certainly on the language, and to a lessor extent, on Quebec's culture. I think it is a futile battle, and that Quebec will lose that battle quicker by separation.

Great importance has always been given by every national body i.e. "nation-state" to the ability of that state to defend itself against its "enemies". Canada has embraced an economic and cultural identification with this giant neighbor and that interrelationship has been both beneficial and not so beneficial from time to time. We have accepted as notion that our relationship with the United States is on balance weighted in our favour, in many respects. We resigned ourselves to a political spiritual and cultural identification predicated on this close relationship even when there have been numerous incidents of intrusion (political, economic, cultural) by the United States. We have been and are effectively a sub-nation-state of the Kingdom of Free Enterprise that is the North American continent.

When you decide at a fundamental level to subscribe to a developing culture, an evolving expression of political economic and social adolesence (U.S.) as dynamics change speed-bumps will be encountered...

Quebec "nationalism" is at best a speed bump in the larger picture...

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
"Quebec "nationalism" is at best a speed bump in the larger picture..."

exactly, it is a small step in the larger movement to a new global reality.

General James Wolfe

Nominee Member
Oct 30, 2006
Tiguy

Quebec will never get its independence as long as their are Canadain Nationalist and Royalists around. The only way Quebec can get its independence is they win a Canadain Civil War and that will never happen. We all know how French people do in War. In WW2 France surrended to Germany in 1 month, Quebec Nationalist would not last 1 week in a Civil War.

Face it the British defeated the French and you are still soare about it. French people like your self are soare loosers.

If you dont like living in an English speaking nation you can always go to a French speaking nation like

France
Monarco
Belguim
Switzerland

You French Canadains can even recreate Saing Domingue by invading Hati and the Domincan Republic and creat a French nation in the Carribean. Saint Domingue is about 29.526 sq miles. Saint Domingue was the wealthiest colony in the World until it was taken over by the slave revolutioanries in the Revolution of 1791-1804.

You could even invade Suriname to unite it with French Guina to form a Frenh nation too. The combined land of French Guiana and Suriname is 98.504 sq miles.

You can have to French nations Saint Domingue (Haiti and Domican Republic) and Guiana (French Guiana and Suriname).

I use to be a moderate on the issue of Quebec, but not anymore. Quebec Seperatist like you have made me a Hardliner when I use to be a moderate. I was all for more autonomy for Quebec not anymore. Now I want to complete the mission of General James Wolfe by driving out troublemakers from Quebec and solidifying it as a territory belonging to the Anglophones of Canada.

tiguy

Nov 28, 2006
My french nation is right here. Whatever happened to the dream of a united Canada? Furthermore...I'm no Québecois. I was born and raised in Ontario.

General James Wolfe

Nominee Member
Oct 30, 2006
Saint Domingue (Hati and Domincian Republic)
29.526 Sq Miles

Guiana ( French Guiana and Suriname)
98.504 Sq Miles

Combined territory for the 2 new French homelands
128.030 Sq Miles

The British can compensate the Spannish of the Domincan Republic by giving them Beliez. The British can compensate the Dutch of Suriname by giving them Guyana.

Saint Domingue was the wealthest colony in history, you French should be proud of your Colony of Saint Domingue. A lot of expelled Acadians made Saint Domingue their new home and if they can do it the Quebecois can too.

Saint Domingue and Guiana will be the homelands for the Quebec Nationalists.

French Canadain Seperatists Saint Domingue and Guiana is waiting for you to come.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
general james,

uprooting a people is no small task, and if you look at history it doesn't really turn out that well in the end.

How do you feel about we uproot all the non-natives and ship them somewhere? hmmm.... This isn't a british colony any more.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I just want to interject here that if the rumors I've heard that some of those nations cited by our friend Gen. Wolfe...don't have snowy wintertimes with frostbite and blizzards...Je me souvien!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Why don't you just speak english...conform to your surroundings?" Because conforming means an assured death to my language and my culture.

So instead we pay millions of dollars to accommodate a few French people who speak English by declaring French language rights in large pockets of Ontario and have a discriminatory hiring policy for Federal jobs....sounds fair eh?

I come from French Ontario, I know what it's like and I also know I have never met a Frenchman in Ontario that didn't speak English.

If your that scared of losing the culture why not pick up and move to Quebec?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Now that Harper has given (thanks for asking Canadians how they feel about this Herr Harper) Quebec Nation Status does this mean Canada can end bilingualism? I mean they are their own nation now so why do we need to be officially bilingual because Canada only adopted that policy to appease Quebec? I say scrap bilingualism and save the tax payers millions of dollars also stop the nonsense of Federal Jobs being open only to those who are bilingual NOW.