Alberta-based employment agencies with local connection

takao47

Jun 4, 2006
Mossbank, SK
Hi I am a newbie in this Canadian Content forum.

I am seriously contemplating to relocate to find a work in Alberta as an oilrig worker or draftsperson or something that promise much better career prospective. Or maybe I should take welding courses local college to become a journeyperson.

I used to work in Windsor, Ontario as plastic injection molding engineer (not Professional Engineer yet) after graduating from university in Saskatchewan for three years. Then recent strong Canadian dollar (against US $) hits manufacturing industry tremendously. I have got downsized; colleagues and I have not see any rebound so far.

Posting resumes on job websites likes of www.monster.ca, ca.hotjobs.yahoo.com, and www.workopolis.com resulted no opportunity so far past two months. I have moved back to hometown of Saskatchewan so see how things are going in the west, I even consider labour position.

I am just wondering if I can find Alberta-based employment agencies with strong local industry connection… I do appreciate your input.

I am bit scared to move to Fort McMurray without job offer, zero business connections or no friends whatsoever.

Thanks

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
If you have a pulse you can get a job. 1000 the first day you were in Calgary if you could physically apply.

One fellow flew in to Calgary from Kingson. He packed a box and had to go to the baggage counter to pick it up. They were short staff and asked him if he wanted a job. He filled out the application and, pending a security clearance, must have set a record for coming here and landing a job.

What's good right now is the opportunity to get into a field that might be hard elsewhere. This includes diverse careers as a police officer or airport worker or postal worker, etc.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
Simpleton said:
Why is it that university educated people in these forums have the worst English?

That's bizarre! :lol:

You don't know much do you? He was not born in this country. His university 'education' was paid for by you and me hence the lack of sympathy I have for his current status.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
SaintLucifer said:
Simpleton said:
Why is it that university educated people in these forums have the worst English?

You don't know much do you? He was not born in this country. His university 'education' was paid for by you and me hence the lack of sympathy I have for his current status.

How am I supposed to know which country he/she was born in? How do you know which country he/she was born in?

But I'm still a fan of yours...
:lol:

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
Simpleton said:
SaintLucifer said:
Simpleton said:

How am I supposed to know which country he/she was born in? How do you know which country he/she was born in?

Of course you are. How does one with such poor English manage an Engineering program in university? You are aware of the terms used in such a program yes? As such, it would be impossible for one like him to ever be considered for the program. Hence one may come to one conclusion: he is lying.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
SaintLucifer said:
Simpleton said:
SaintLucifer said:
Simpleton said:

Of course you are. How does one with such poor English manage an Engineering program in university? You are aware of the terms used in such a program yes? As such, it would be impossible for one like him to ever be considered for the program. Hence one may come to one conclusion: he is lying.

That was my insinuation. That he/she was lying.

After all, he/she is now the second university educated, unemployed, engineer to grace these forums and display a total ineptitude for the english language.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
Simpleton said:
SaintLucifer said:
Simpleton said:
SaintLucifer said:
Simpleton said:

That was my insinuation. That he/she was lying.

After all, he/she is now the second university educated, unemployed, engineer to grace these forums and display a total ineptitude for the english language.

Tell me, do you want my autograph?

justfred

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2004
Drumheller
In response to your inquiry about jobs in Alberta, a journeyman welder in Grande Prairie, AB, can earn from $75 to $110 per hour. That is 6 month old information and the rates could be higher yet. Bring your journeyman ticket out with you, get a welding truck and welder and get ready to earn $300,000 per year. Those who are lazy, stay home, but if you are willing to work hard, long days, you can make a mint.

vice

Apr 14, 2007
Edmonton

If he was an international student, his education was only partially paid for by you and me (via the government). And so what if that's the case? He's contributing to OUR economy by working in OUR country, paying OUR taxes, undoubtedly spending money in OUR country, and looking for job prospects within OUR country unlike many Canadian students who fly south of the 49th parallel after receiving a post-secondary education that was subsidized by you and me.

Takao, I hope you find what you're looking for in Alberta.

James02

May 17, 2007
I am bit scared to move to Fort McMurray without job offer, zero business connections or no friends whatsoever.
Thanks

I too am thinking like that
Your on your own, do not know/have any one to ask, wear to look for jobs, accommodation, food, transport

In response to your inquiry about jobs in Alberta, a journeyman welder in Grande Prairie, AB, can earn from $75 to $110 per hour. That is 6 month old information and the rates could be higher yet. Bring your journeyman ticket out with you, get a welding truck and welder and get ready to earn $300,000 per year. Those who are lazy, stay home, but if you are willing to work hard, long days, you can make a mint.

Is Grande Prairie a bigger hot spot than Fort McMurray

OilSands.InfoMine

Aug 2, 2007
I participate with a company that posts as many FT McMurray jobs as possable. The site is www.Oilsands.InfoMine.com this site focuses on the Mining/Oil and construction aspect enjoy. We have also lauched another www.fortmcmurrayonline.com this is new and we offer lots of information on the territory shortly we will be offering a job board here as well the focus will be a little diffrent enjoy ALL!!!