Freeland: Canadians should brace for economic collateral damage

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Cancel your trip to the Bahamas.

Canadians should brace for economic collateral damage as sanctions mount, Chrystia Freeland says

Canada will expand its Russia sanctions to target more Putin-friendly oligarchs and businesses, but Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland warns Canadians there will be an economic price for these punitive measures in support of Ukraine.

“I have to be honest with Canadians that there could be some collateral damage in Canada,” Ms. Freeland told reporters Tuesday.

She said she discussed this possibility with Group of Seven finance ministers Tuesday. “We said in order to be really be effective, in order to really have an impact, we are going to have to be prepared for there to be some adverse consequences for our own economies.”

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think the Irving refineries are going to run out of raw material . Might be fuel shortages in liberal friendly ridings .
Turnaround season starts this or next week. Supply was already going to be low but its all good, drilling season is just wrapping so a few thousand new sources are soon to be tied in.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
$1.75/L

All that fear mongering about being energy independent, this really isn't that bad.

I'm fine if it went up to $3.00/L.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yes but your bus fair will go up too :ROFLMAO:

I don't ride the bus.

Anyway, there's an easy solution to all of this.

Just stop taking flight based trips.

It will save you money and it uses less gas so the lack of demand will speed up our transition to renewables.

• Haha
Reactions: B00Mer

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I mean, if you want to spend $1500 on a shitty trip to Florida, go right ahead.

It's your money and toilet.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I don't ride the bus.

Anyway, there's an easy solution to all of this.

Just stop taking flight based trips.

It will save you money and it uses less gas so the lack of demand will speed up our transition to renewables.
Unfortunately simply having renewables won't sustain our economy sorry to say. We'll still need fossil fuels for another 50+ years yet.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Unfortunately simply having renewables won't sustain our economy sorry to say. We'll still need fossil fuels for another 50+ years yet.

Very little of it though.

The faster we transition, the sooner we become energy independent.