Rare 5,000-year-old crystal dagger is found in Spain

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Rare 5,000-year-old crystal dagger is uncovered in Prehistoric Iberian megalithic tomb that may have been used by a high-ranking person to gain 'magical powers'​

By Stacy Liberatore
Daily Mail

1617265400389.png

Ancient tools that once belonged to prehistoric civilizations have been found all over the world, but a discovery in Spain is unlike those traditionally made of stone or flint.

A team excavating the megalithic tomb of Montelirio tholos in 2007 through 2010 uncovered a dagger formed from rock crystal that experts say is the ‘most technically sophisticated’ ever to be uncovered in Prehistoric Iberia and would have taken enormous skill to carve.

The artifact, which is about 5,000 years old, is nearly 8.5 inches long and was found along with 10 arrowheads, four blades and a core for making weapons, all of which were rock crystal.

The weapon’s final resting place is far from crystal mines, which suggests they once belonged to an elite individual who paid a hefty price to have the materials sourced and shaped.

Researchers also speculate that rock crystal during this time may have had a symbolic significance and such societies used it for vitality, magical powers and connections with ancestors.

A team excavating the megalithic tomb of Montelirio tholos in 2007 through 2010 uncovered a dagger formed from rock crystal that experts say is the ‘most technically sophisticated’ ever to be uncovered in Prehistoric Iberia and would have taken enormous skill to carve

‘They probably represent funerary paraphernalia only accessible to the elite of this time-period,’ reads the study published in the journal Quaternary International.

‘The association of the dagger blade to a handle made of ivory, also a non-local raw material that must have been of great value, strongly suggests the high-ranking status of the people making use of such objects.’

The excavation in southwester Spain was a collaboration of researchers from the University of Granada, the University of Seville and the Spanish Higher Research Council.

The teams worked at the site from 2007 through 2010, and published their findings in 2015 that details the trove of crystal weapons.

The stunning dagger was designed to fit an ivory handle (pictured). Experts say it probably belonged to a person of wealth, as the materials were available in places far from this part of Spain

The tomb is located in the lower Guadalquivir valley that sits within the metropolitan area of Seville – the settlement is called ‘Valencina de la Concepcion Castilleja de Guzman.'

Valencina is revered as the most significant site from Copper Age Iberia and is also the largest.

Reactions: Danbones

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
When you think that every serration is made singly and by hand...

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
When you think that every serration is made singly and by hand...

The people who made such things were obviously highly skilled and probably learnt it from childhood. They were probably all highly revered, God-like people in their communities.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I have a ww2 razor blade radio...( my dad made it then) ...He dug it up when I made my first crystal radio to show me one day back in the 60s.
:)
What's funny is when he showed me how they made them then ( from a penciled plan he said ) I was explaining to him how it worked from the CR kit booklet.

My father said a lot of the soldiers thought the guy who first drew the plan was on a higher level of some kind. I bet a lot of them pictured god's voice as that of the Saturday night hockey play by play guy.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The guy who invented beer has a Godlike status to me, whoever he was.

He was probably called Beer, because many inventions are named after their inventor - John Logie Baird invented a cartoon character that lived in the woods and always wore a green hat.

Last edited:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

Rare 5,000-year-old crystal dagger is uncovered in Prehistoric Iberian megalithic tomb that may have been used by a high-ranking person to gain 'magical powers'​

By Stacy Liberatore
Daily Mail

View attachment 7549

Ancient tools that once belonged to prehistoric civilizations have been found all over the world, but a discovery in Spain is unlike those traditionally made of stone or flint.

A team excavating the megalithic tomb of Montelirio tholos in 2007 through 2010 uncovered a dagger formed from rock crystal that experts say is the ‘most technically sophisticated’ ever to be uncovered in Prehistoric Iberia and would have taken enormous skill to carve.

The artifact, which is about 5,000 years old, is nearly 8.5 inches long and was found along with 10 arrowheads, four blades and a core for making weapons, all of which were rock crystal.

The weapon’s final resting place is far from crystal mines, which suggests they once belonged to an elite individual who paid a hefty price to have the materials sourced and shaped.

Researchers also speculate that rock crystal during this time may have had a symbolic significance and such societies used it for vitality, magical powers and connections with ancestors.

A team excavating the megalithic tomb of Montelirio tholos in 2007 through 2010 uncovered a dagger formed from rock crystal that experts say is the ‘most technically sophisticated’ ever to be uncovered in Prehistoric Iberia and would have taken enormous skill to carve

‘They probably represent funerary paraphernalia only accessible to the elite of this time-period,’ reads the study published in the journal Quaternary International.

‘The association of the dagger blade to a handle made of ivory, also a non-local raw material that must have been of great value, strongly suggests the high-ranking status of the people making use of such objects.’

The excavation in southwester Spain was a collaboration of researchers from the University of Granada, the University of Seville and the Spanish Higher Research Council.

The teams worked at the site from 2007 through 2010, and published their findings in 2015 that details the trove of crystal weapons.

The stunning dagger was designed to fit an ivory handle (pictured). Experts say it probably belonged to a person of wealth, as the materials were available in places far from this part of Spain

The tomb is located in the lower Guadalquivir valley that sits within the metropolitan area of Seville – the settlement is called ‘Valencina de la Concepcion Castilleja de Guzman.'

Valencina is revered as the most significant site from Copper Age Iberia and is also the largest.

1617297749867.png