Britain leaves the European Union

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
1609438170094.png

Gibraltar: Britain and Spain reach deal as Brexit transition period ends​

Britain has reached a deal with Spain for Gibraltar to join the Schengen open border zone, maintaining free-flowing movement to and from the Spanish mainland.

The deal was announced by Spanish foreign minister Arancha González just hours before the Brexit deadline of midnight on December 31, at which point border checks would have been introduced, restricting the flow of goods and people.

Britain leaves the EU customs union and Single Market at 11pm British time tonight.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
View attachment 4335

Gibraltar: Britain and Spain reach deal as Brexit transition period ends​

Britain has reached a deal with Spain for Gibraltar to join the Schengen open border zone, maintaining free-flowing movement to and from the Spanish mainland.

The deal was announced by Spanish foreign minister Arancha González just hours before the Brexit deadline of midnight on December 31, at which point border checks would have been introduced, restricting the flow of goods and people.

Britain leaves the EU customs union and Single Market at 11pm British time tonight.

Sad if true. That means UK nationals face restrictions and controls entering their own country while EU citizens enjoy freedom of movement in Gib.

Huge win for Spain and the EU.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
1609439132378.png

The Brexit deal with the EU passes the House of Lords and comes into effect at 11pm tonight, the moment when Britain fully leaves the EU by quitting the customs union and Single Market, after being signed into law by the Queen.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson says "our destiny is now in our hands."

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Sad if true. That means UK nationals face restrictions and controls entering their own country while EU citizens enjoy freedom of movement in Gib.

Huge win for Spain and the EU.
It'll mainly just affect Gibraltarians, but they won't be bothered too much about that because they voted Remain. It'll not bother the other 70 million or so Brits.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
It'll mainly just affect Gibraltarians, but they won't be bothered too much about that because they voted Remain. It'll not bother the other 70 million or so Brits.

I don't buy that. They're effectively handing over control of their immigration policy to the EU and Spain. They don't want to be Spanish.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't buy that. They're effectively handing over control of their immigration policy to the EU and Spain. They don't want to be Spanish.
If they don't want to be Spanish then they'll have to stop being EU and Spanish lapdogs and fully embrace Brexit.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
If they don't want to be Spanish then they'll have to stop being EU and Spanish lapdogs and fully embrace Brexit.

I'm not being funny, but Gib is fully integrated into the EU market. They didn't choose to be that, it was forced upon them by a previous Conservative government.

It's kind of difficult to fuel the Rock's economy with such limited space, forcing them to import a workforce from the squalor across the border in La Linea de la Concepcion.

I've been there and experienced first hand the situation in Gib. It's completely British and this encroachment on that status might not go over well. It's a completely different situation there than in Great Britain anyways.

Reactions: Mowich

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm not being funny, but Gib is fully integrated into the EU market. They didn't choose to be that, it was forced upon them by a previous Conservative government.

It's kind of difficult to fuel the Rock's economy with such limited space, forcing them to import a workforce from the squalor across the border in La Linea de la Concepcion.

I've been there and experienced first hand the situation in Gib. It's completely British and this encroachment on that status might not go over well. It's a completely different situation there than in Great Britain anyways.
Fabian Picardo, Gibraltar's Chief Minister, wanted a deal, which we now have, although the deal doesn't cover Gibraltar. The Gibraltarians are jittery at the prospect of border controls with Spain. Hopefully, they'll resolve it by making their own Brexit deal with Spain. Hopefully they'll get a good deal and a good Brexit.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Fabian Picardo, Gibraltar's Chief Minister, wanted a deal, which we now have, although the deal doesn't cover Gibraltar. The Gibraltarians are jittery at the prospect of border controls with Spain. Hopefully, they'll resolve it by making their own Brexit deal with Spain. Hopefully they'll get a good deal and a good Brexit.

Haha. I like the way euronews uses outdated stock footage including the EU flag as their video preview while Gib seems to have replaced all of their EU/Council of Europe flags with the Commonwealth flag. That (replacement of EU flag) kind of proves my point.

Reactions: Mowich and taxslave

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Haha. I like the way euronews uses outdated stock footage including the EU flag as their video preview while Gib seems to have replaced all of their EU/Council of Europe flags with the Commonwealth flag. That (replacement of EU flag) kind of proves my point.
There are many Remoaners hoping Brexit will cause Gibraltar to want to become Spanish - hence the pro-EU propaganda - but it's not going to happen. The only reason Gibraltar voted Remain was because they were scared Spain would close the border. But Picardo has said many times Gibraltar wishes to remain British. I'm sure they'll sort something out over the border because both sides, not just Gibraltar, don't want chaos at the border.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I've not been flowing the situation in Gibraltar closely, but this is crazy. British citizens will have checks to get into Gibraltar - a part of their country's own territory - while EU citizens can just walk in:

The Gibraltar deal will mean the EU sending Frontex border guards to facilitate free movement to and from Gibraltar. Their role is planned to last four years.

Twenty-two EU states are in the passport-free Schengen zone, as are Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Liechtenstein, but the UK has never been in it.

Once Gibraltar joins it, EU citizens arriving from Spain or another Schengen country will avoid passport checks, while arrivals from the UK will have to go through passport control, as is already the case.

After the four years, a "round of consultation" is planned, during which I assume talks will take place to decide on whether or not this situation will continue.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
25 minutes to go until Britain leaves the EU Single Market and customs union, fully leaving the EU.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Fireworks go off outside as Britain leaves the Single Market and customs union...

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

1609494128736.png

Brexit: First lorry passes through Eurotunnel controls after UK leaves single market and customs union​

Reactions: Mowich

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
1609521395884.png

CONGRATS Sir Nigel Farage 👏 Made Britain 🇬🇧 GREAT Again 🎉 1/1/2021​

Why is he not being given a knighthood?

Reactions: taxslave