Saudi Arabia expelling Canadian ambassador, suspending new trade

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Canadian heavy oil is in very high demand.

Big demand for diesel

Susan Bell, oil analyst at IHS Markit, expects gas prices to rise by 10 cents from now to the end of summer as a gasoline inventory glut in the market starts to ease, and crude oil prices head higher, in part due to demand for diesel fuel.

Airline ticket prices could rise because of obscure new fuel rule
The International Maritime Organization (IMO) is introducing a sulphur limit rule for 2020, known as IMO 2020, which will decrease the amount of sulphur allowed in the fuel from 3.5 per cent to 0.5 per cent. This will affect large ships that use low grade fuel, which is considered the bottom of the barrel, because of its air-polluting qualities. In order to comply, many ships will likely have to switch to diesel, pushing up demand for heavy crude oil, which is used to make diesel.

"International factors such as the International Maritime Organization's global bunker fuel oil specification change will require refiners to increase crude oil runs to meet strong diesel demand," Bell said.

"This, along with crude oil supply challenges that result from U.S. sanctions against Iran and Venezuela, will support crude oil price increases. Gasoline prices will respond in kind with the increase in crude oil prices."

McTeague said a more-than-six-cents-a-litre jump in the price of diesel "will pretty much affect the price of everything."

"It has direct and indirect costs, and I think it's the indirect ones that we really haven't calculated," McTeague said. "But, I do get nervous when I see that food prices, the basket of goods that make up grocery prices have skyrocketed this year compared to last year, much of it driven by fuel."

He said many people have already made the switch to smaller cars, but this kind of price rise may necessitate new ways to economize.

"Most people have moved to more efficient vehicles, but is there room for more efficiencies? For sure."

The price of benchmark U.S. crude oil — West Texas Intermediate (WTI) — has surged nearly 47 per cent since hitting a one-year low in December, now trading around $62 US a barrel. Meanwhile, the price of Western Canadian Select (WCS) has quadrupled — jumping more than 300 per cent to around $54 US — since hitting a yearly low in November.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5081757

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Forget about tuning them into fuel. Build an industry that produces exotic, cutting edge polymers in Alberta. Sposor some research. Become a world-leading plastics supplier.
Good idea , hop to it .

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Good idea , hop to it .
You'll "hop to it", eh pigs? If you've "hopped to it" at any point in your life, I'd be very surprised. Pernicious whiners like you don't tend to leave worthwhile things behind them ... just cheap whines.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
the same fuel that has been doing it for the last 100 years?
because there is no such thing as progress or change

Ok Einstein name a Tractor running on alternative power I can buy that will run 14+ hours a day in dusty conditions to put my crop in this spring. How about next spring?

I'm still hearing crickets from you, do you have an answer?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Oh are we doing the thing where you ask for something and I answer and youi ask for something else etc etc until we all agree that climate change is fake?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Oh are we doing the thing where you ask for something and I answer and youi ask for something else etc etc until we all agree that climate change is fake?

Nope I'm asking you to name 1 tractor using alternative power I can purchase to plant my crop this spring

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
You'll "hop to it", eh pigs? If you've "hopped to it" at any point in your life, I'd be very surprised. Pernicious whiners like you don't tend to leave worthwhile things behind them ... just cheap whines.
You want a plastics industry , start one , why would you expect others to do the dirty work ?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
John Deere.

Did you just pick a manufacturer's name? They don't have anything purely alternative energy yet, nice try next

This is as close as they are right now

John Deere’s first fully electric tractor
Fred Lambert
Paris, France

American tractor manufacturer John Deere has pulled the wraps off of its first fully electric tractor in a new video published this week. The tractor project is called Sustainable Energy Supply for Agricultural Machinery, or SESAM, and John Deere plans to officially unveil it at the Paris International Agribusiness Show in early 2017.
The iconic American machinery manufacturer showcased the new prototype ahead of the Sima show in France next month.

While the company dabbled in alternative fuel sources for its full-size agricultural tractors in the past, including a hybrid electric version, this concept called SESAM (Sustainable Energy Supply for Agricultural Machinery) is the first fully powered by a battery pack.

Where you would normally find a large diesel engine under the hood, there are stacks of battery packs adding up to 130 kWh of capacity:
That’s more energy than in Tesla’s highest capacity battery pack (100 kWh). SESAM needs it to tow large tools and to perform other tasks, which it can do while in “off mode” without having a large diesel engine running as highlighted by the company in a video released last week (embedded below).

As for power, the vehicle is equipped with two 150 kW electric motors for a total power output of up to 300kW (402hp).

John Deere expects that the electric motors will require much less maintenance than a diesel engine. They will also provide redundancy and last longer.
John Deere didn’t release any detail about the availability of the new machine, but it also announced a new development group focused on the electrification of its machinery. We could soon see more electric machines.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Or phase out fossil fuels. We do have the tech, ya know.

No we don,t have the tech. Phasing out so called fossil fuels would mean mass starvation in very short order. Mankinds contribution to the CO2 load is .03 % with the earths oceans responsible for the rest. Plants love CO2. And you should too. Those infamous carbon taxes will do absolutely nothing to lessen global pollution, except make the uneducated feel good right up untill they freeze to death.

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
You want a plastics industry , start one , why would you expect others to do the dirty work ?
Sure.

We'll start one in Sarnia where the rest of the country's petrochemical industry is cenereed.

Crap, you're a stupid pig.