Marshall Petain says he is 'glad the UK can stop sabotaging EU'

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A French tourist says he is glad the UK is leaving the EU after making a trip to Devon - stating in a letter that he was disgusted by the attitude of the people.

Claiming to be Henri Philippe Petain, the man said he recently visited Fremington, a village between Bideford and Barnstaple in north Devon, on a six-day holiday.

'Henri', who lives in Fremington's twinned village, Colombelles in France, said he was 'taken aback by the attitude of most people' he had the 'displeasure to meet' and says he is 'glad the British have chosen to leave the European Project'.

De Gaulling! 'French tourist's' scathing Brexit letter causes outrage over his 'disgust' at the British people he had the 'displeasure to meet' - adding he is 'glad the UK can stop sabotaging EU'

A French tourist visiting Devon claimed he was glad Britain was leaving the EU

The man, who called himself Philippe Petain visited Fremington for six days

He suggested he was appalled by the attitude of the people he met on holiday

However, Philippe Petain was the leader of France's WWII Vichy government

By Darren Boyle for MailOnline
20 October 2017

A French tourist says he is glad the UK is leaving the EU after making a trip to Devon - stating in a letter that he was disgusted by the attitude of the people.

Claiming to be Henri Philippe Petain, the man said he recently visited Fremington, a village between Bideford and Barnstaple in north Devon, on a six-day holiday.

'Henri', who lives in Fremington's twinned village, Colombelles in France, said he was 'taken aback by the attitude of most people' he had the 'displeasure to meet' and says he is 'glad the British have chosen to leave the European Project'.

The angry French tourist claimed he recently spent six days in Fremington, north Devon

The tourist, called Henri Philippe Petain, wrote to a local newspaper expressing his disappointment about the attitude 'of most of the people I had the displeasure to meet'

The author quoted the 'great French leader Charles De Gaulle', pictured, who once famously claimed that 'the British are an island race and never have been... European at heart'

In a letter to the local paper, the North Devon Journal, Monsieur Petain wrote: 'Having just returned to France after an eventful six-day visit to our twin town of Fremington, I was somewhat taken aback by the attitude of most people I had the displeasure to meet.

'For it confirmed what the great French leader Charles De Gaulle said at the time Britain was in negotiations to join the then EEC, "The British are an island race and never have been, nor will they be, European at heart", and that's certainly true of people in the North Devon area.

'Therefore I am glad the British have chosen to leave the European Project, it now means France along with Germany can move forward as one, without having to look back over the Channel as to what the British will do next to sabotage the centuries-old dream of unity.

'After the fall of France in 1940 with the British army having scurried back over the channel with their tails between their legs leaving France to her fate Von Ribbentrop, the then German foreign minister, looking toward Dover told the French, "our common enemy now lies over there", and as far as I am concerned Europe's enemy still does.'

Yet the author of the letter shares the name with Marshall Philippe Petain, who led the Vichy government which collaborated with the Nazis after the fall of France in 1940

Local independent councillor Frank Biederman said he was suspicious about the letter

Marshall Petain, pictured right, meeting with Otto Abetz, German ambassador to France in 1941. Petain led the Vichy government which collaborated with the Nazis and died in 1951

Frank Biederman, Independent councillor for Fremington, said: 'I was surprised and a little suspicious of the letter. It seemed designed to cause friction and certainly had a political agenda behind it.

'We in Fremington pride ourselves on our community spirit, with many clubs and groups taking place for all ages.

'We are very proud to currently have north Devon's no 1 Cafe, Fremington Quay Cafe, who won the award at last weeks North Devon Journal Tourism awards, voted for by the public.

'The youth football club last year won the active Devon club of the year award.

'The Fremington Community Group are also the current winners of the North Devon journal community group of the year.

Fremington is twinned with the town of Colombelles in France, pictured

'The school children at the local primary school are recognised by Ofsted for their politeness, kind nature and welcome visitors to the school and take great pride in their school.

'Our annual music festival also welcomes visitors from far and wide with open arms.

'I do not know who our French visitor met on his visit, but my local enquiries have not turned up any one official, including members of the twinning association, but I would very much like to invite him to come again so I can show him the true Fremington if he wishes to do so.'

But the letter may be a hoax, as Henri Philippe Pétain was a French general who reached the distinction of Marshal of France, and died in 1951.

Marshal Pétain later served as the Chief of State of Vichy France also known as the French State (Chef de l'État Français), from 1940 to 1944.

Pétain, who was 84 years old in 1940, ranks as France's oldest head of state.

The insulting 'Petain' letter in full

A French tourist 'named after' Vichy leader Marshall Philippe Petain, who quoted the need for Franco-German co-operation, has said he is pleased that Britain is leaving the European Union

HENRI PHILIPPE PETAIN

'Having just returned to France after an eventful six-day visit to our twin town of Fremington, I was somewhat taken aback by the attitude of most people I had the displeasure to meet.

'For it confirmed what the great French leader Charles De Gaulle said at the time Britain was in negotiations to join the then EEC, "The British are an island race and never have been, nor will they be, European at heart", and that's certainly true of people in the North Devon area.

'Therefore I am glad the British have chosen to leave the European Project, it now means France along with Germany can move forward as one, without having to look back over the channel as to what the British will do next to sabotage the centuries-old dream of unity.

'After the fall of France in 1940 with the British army having scurried back over the Channel with their tails between their legs leaving France to her fate Von Ribbentrop, the then German foreign minister, looking toward Dover told the French, "our common enemy now lies over there", and as far as I am concerned Europe's enemy still does.'

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I agree. Many French - like our fellow - are still livid that the British ended their "centuries-old" dream of Franco-German unity back in the 1940s. It's a shame for them.

That Franco-German cabal would explain the millions of Frenchmen who died on the Western Front defending their homeland at places like Verdun.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
That Franco-German cabal would explain the millions of Frenchmen who died on the Western Front defending their homeland at places like Verdun.

Yep. And 20-odd years later the Frogs were collaborating with the Germans.

That's the sort of European unity that "Marshall Pétain" obviously misses.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
You don't have to be fastest guy running away from the bear
only faster then the next guy who is running away too

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The British army cut and ran and left the French to their fate.

If the vast French Army couldn't stop the Germans from easily penetrating their crappy Maginot Line then why would you expect the little British Army to do so?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Danny Connolley, London, United Kingdom, 28 minutes ago

Colombelles is five miles from Caen. In July 1944, during Operation Goodwood, 3,474 British soldiers lost their lives in the area, liberating the antecedents of M. Petain, from the Germans. Some have no known graves. They lie under the concrete of homes and factories in and around Colombelles, especially in the area of the steelworks, a pivotal position in the battle. Given our shared history, I doubt any decent person in Colombelles is anti-British. Hence, I suggest the 'Petain' letter is a spoof. A malignant one, rather than a merry jape.

Read more: 'French tourist' calls for immediate Brexit after UK trip | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If the vast French Army couldn't stop the Germans from easily penetrating their crappy Maginot Line then why would you expect the little British Army to do so?

The dumb Frenchies should have dug a Channel to protect them.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You understand that responding to an accusation of cowardice with "You are too!" is an admission, right?

Not really. Because I don't consider not leaving virtually the entire BEF to be destroyed by the Germans to be cowardice.

And they didn't humiliatingly surrender like the Americans did in the Philippines.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Not really. Because I don't consider not leaving virtually the entire BEF to be destroyed by the Germans to be cowardice.

And they didn't humiliatingly surrender like the Americans did in the Philippines.

They were goddam lucky there was a clear-thinking Canadian conducting the beach evacuation at Dunkirk and not some incompetent English Colonel Blimp.

That British hero at Dunkirk was actually Canadian