Ontario Election 2014 - The Official Thread

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I was a union member for 40 years and I still say that unions shouldn't meddle in politics...... I was even actively involved at a meeting, in getting a vote turned down in a motion to donate to a particular party, namely the NDP, and getting the union president mad at me (piss on him) .........and at the time I was voting NDP.....
At the time the reason I gave....(and it is still valid)....that it was unfair to the members that vote for other parties, to have part of their dues going to a political party that they don't agree with....
And the majority (so high that they didn't even need to count the votes) agreed with me!

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I was a union member for 40 years and I still say that unions shouldn't meddle in politics...... I was even actively involved at a meeting, in getting a vote turned down in a motion to donate to a particular party, namely the NDP, and getting the union president mad at me (piss on him) .........and at the time I was voting NDP.....
At the time the reason I gave....(and it is still valid)....that it was unfair to the members that vote for other parties, to have part of their dues going to a political party that they don't agree with....
And the majority (so high that they didn't even need to count the votes) agreed with me!

In the end it is up to the members. The union is supposed to advocate for the members best interests in many different ways. Often that necessarily involves getting involved in politics.

It is understandable that people within the union may not always agree with actions of the union, but if a union needed unanimous support to do something, they would never be able to do anything.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Even when you agree with someone you try to find an argument......
A pathetic way to try and get the last word!

You said stuff like this.

"I still say that unions shouldn't meddle in politics"

"At the time the reason I gave....(and it is still valid)....that it was unfair to the members that vote for other parties, to have part of their dues going to a political party that they don't agree with...."

I disagree with that. I don't think that unions should necessarily stay out of politics. It is often necessary to achieve their goals.

If your union decided that was best for them, great, but lots of unions think very differently, and that is fine.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Tim Hudak's new ad and open letter to the people of Ontario

"We're spending too much on things we don't need and our debt has tripled. Over the last 12 years we've watched the things that matter most to us slip away. We've lost 300,000 manufacturing jobs, while at the same time government added 300,000 bureaucratic positions.

Think about that. That's 300,000 people who worked hard and paid taxes, swapped for 300,000 government positions that take your tax dollars.

Government spending has increased 60% - by $50 billion. Has your paycheque gone up 60%? This government is spending like it has. They've been doing great the last few years, but the problem is the rest of us aren't."

Sun News : Tim Hudak's new ad and open letter to the people of Ontario

Blazing Cat Fur: Tim Hudak's new ad and open letter to the people of Ontario

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Well it won't matter none to me. I'll be in redneck country where we don't think we're the center of the universe, but get paid a descent wage for a days work. Where corrupt politicians are told to take a walk and they do. Where employers treat employees with respect and there is no PST, no hidden electronics tax. What you see is what you get in Alberta, descent living, treated with respect, patriotic Canadians and don't get me started on the the fish and wildlife, the majesty of the landscape.

I loved Ontario quite a bit, but have soured on it after it decided to cow tow to special interest, to insurance companies and keep reinstalling the same corrupt government after being systematically ripped off. You get what you deserve if you vote the Liberals back in and for those that didn't my recommendation. Go West before they take what little left you have.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Whodat would push us back into recession so it's the lesser of two evils right now.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The pundits are all over the place, but there were a few obvious lol worthy moments for him including that Buckley's comment and him promising to resign if his plan doesn't work. And his obviously fake attempts to try and paint himself as some kind of caring father that would make McDaddy blush.

At least he was good at channeling his inner Shatner.

Now you're just repeating Wynne's lame talking point from last night's debate.

And economists.

Hudak's plan already doesn't work so he should resign now lol

Last edited:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Tim Hudak still will not admit that he can't count, and that his Million Job Plan is nothing but a scam.

But he has come up with a new and daring scheme to try to make it look like his platform is Canadian rather than American.
Require his cabinet ministers to swear an oath to Ontario?

Tim Hudak turned to leading lights on the American right – from Tea Party-linked think tanks to anti-tax crusaders – in his effort to craft an unabashedly small-government platform.

The itinerary, previously obtained separately by The Globe, lists meetings with Grover Norquist, famous for getting most Republican legislators to sign a promise not to hike taxes; Chris Edwards, director of fiscal policy at the libertarian Cato Institute; and labour expert James Sherk at the Heritage Foundation, a think tank led by a former Tea Party senator.

Making it clear that it was Made in America.

And they are not as the Globe article suggests, bold visionaries of a brighter smaller government. They are right-wing Republican extremists, part of a vast conspiracy to cripple government, kill unions, drive down wages, deny climate change, destroy medicare and turn most of us into helpless slaves, while the rich get richer and richer.

They have now clearly decided that Canada should be their next target. Because as you know the Koch brothers have a keen interest in this country.

And the fact that Tim Hudak has just become the first Canadian politician to campaign on their platform is not something that can be shrugged off or celebrated.

“It’s quite remarkable: We’re seeing a tough budget during a campaign,” said University of Moncton economist Donald Savoie. “If Hudak is successful, there’s a message for all politicians, that Canadians may be far readier for this than we assume.”

It's a huge story, it's a scandal, it's a threat to our country and its values, it's an American invasion, and it's practically TREASONOUS.

Hudak revamped policy after visiting stalwarts of U.S. right - The Globe and Mail

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
And there are economists who agree with the 1,000,000 jobs plan.

itgal

May 28, 2014
I thought that Tim Hudak and Andrea Horwath actually represented themselves quite well.. Kathleen Wynn on the other hand never answered one question that was asked of her... Just more retorich, which is what I have come to expect from the Liberal party.

Everyone is picking on Tim's math and he will lead us into recession... unless you have a crystal ball... you cannot say that the Liberals will not lead this province into bankruptcy.. If you spend more than you make that is not good economics so just get over yourselves because I doubt you even know how to balance your own check book...

I have to assume that the people who vote Liberal actually like having money stolen and then be forever treated to new tax after new tax.

For those of you who think the Liberals are so great why don't you watch the documentary on the Sun news channel on TV tonight at 8pm entitiled "Down Wind" and then let us know that you still support the Liberal government in how they handle the "green energy program" so we can make sure the Liberals appropriate your land and put up a nice big wind tower in your backyard...

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The truth is that she doesn't want to reveal that she will be reducing spending to almost Harris levels after the next budget.

It's bad optics during the debate so the focus on investments was a smart one.