Duchess of Cambridge goes into labour

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There's a bit of a difference between Britain and North America in the names people are given.

George is actually a popular name in Britain. In fact, in 2012 it was the 13th most popular name for boys in the UK. Harry was the most popular, followed by Jack (which hardly ever leaves the Top 2).

In Canada, the 13th most popular boys' name in 2012 was Alexander - which is the second name given to Prince George. George, however, is only the 93rd most popular boys' name in Canada.

Jack - the second-most popular boys' name in the UK - is only the 22nd most popular boys' name in Canada.

George doesn't feature in the Top 50 most popular names in the US. Alexander, hower, is the ninth most popular boys' name in the US.

However, Alexander isn't as popular in the UK as it is in Canada or the US. It was only the 32nd most popular boys' name of 2012.

It all depends on what you classify as a "name"- Jack is just a bastardization of John as Harry is just a bastardization of Henry (sometimes Harold).

Those bastards should be charged with maurauding under aliases! -:)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It's been several years since I've been in Prince George, it used to be O.K. What's wrong with it now? (Besides a waning lumber industry)

It's just a speedbump on the way to other places North, East, West or South..

It's a mill town, with strip clubs galore and biker gangs controlling the drug flow.. it's reputation precedes it..

It's just a depressing $hithole.

Prince George deemed Canada's most dangerous city - British Columbia - CBC News

'Most dangerous city' ranking baffles Prince George, B.C. - British Columbia - CBC News

Many of the truckers I know that live up there have become alcoholics and drug users. I knew of a few truckers caught for driving drunk while hauling a load..

The city just sucks you into a hole of depression and one can't escape.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
we went to prince george years ago, and toured all over to see hobby farms, lakes, houses and other
scenic areas and just 'what' is around the city.

my brother in law asked me what on earth I went to a dump like prince george for, as he said the pubs are
dumps, the city is a hole and the night life wasn't interesting at all, poor downtown hotels, and
on and on he went.

I told him I saw none of that because we aren't interested in that part of life. what we saw was
nice, and we also went to ball games, as they had a 'first nations' team who were really good, so
throughout the week we watched those games and enjoyed them very much.

we visited the university, very impressive.

never saw a biker at all, or any drug people or any drunk truck drivers, they all seemed to be driving
quite normal.

saw how the rivers flowed, how they met.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The town of Prince George was named after King George III, the great-great-great-great-grandfather of Elizabeth II.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I was hoping for a return to the names of the old Saxon or Norse lines..AEthelred, Eadwig, Sweyn Forkbeard or Cnut..

.. George Alexander Louis... blahsville. :roll:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I was hoping for a return to the names of the old Saxon or Norse lines..AEthelred, Eadwig, Sweyn Forkbeard or Cnut..

Or maybe something Shakespearean: Prospero, Lear, Duncan.

I agree on blahsville. I suppose they could have done worse, like maybe John James Henry Thomas.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
It's just a speedbump on the way to other places North, East, West or South..

It's a mill town, with strip clubs galore and biker gangs controlling the drug flow.. it's reputation precedes it..

It's just a depressing $hithole.

Prince George deemed Canada's most dangerous city - British Columbia - CBC News

'Most dangerous city' ranking baffles Prince George, B.C. - British Columbia - CBC News

Many of the truckers I know that live up there have become alcoholics and drug users. I knew of a few truckers caught for driving drunk while hauling a load..

The city just sucks you into a hole of depression and one can't escape.
lol

".. Calgary was flooded for 2 days before I even new.. and I live here.."

Just as goofy would be names like North West, Sage Moonblood, Memphis Eve, Kyd, etc.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
we went to prince george years ago, and toured all over to see hobby farms, lakes, houses and other
scenic areas and just 'what' is around the city.

my brother in law asked me what on earth I went to a dump like prince george for, as he said the pubs are
dumps, the city is a hole and the night life wasn't interesting at all, poor downtown hotels, and
on and on he went.

I told him I saw none of that because we aren't interested in that part of life. what we saw was
nice, and we also went to ball games, as they had a 'first nations' team who were really good, so
throughout the week we watched those games and enjoyed them very much.

we visited the university, very impressive.

never saw a biker at all, or any drug people or any drunk truck drivers, they all seemed to be driving
quite normal.

saw how the rivers flowed, how they met.

This probably dates me just a tad but I was in Prince George quite a lot when the Simon Fraser Hotel was brand new and the pub was definitely a step up from the Europe and the Columbus. -:)

The town of Prince George was named after King George III, the great-great-great-great-grandfather of Elizabeth II.

Yep, quite a long time AFTER him as a matter of fact.-:)

I'm not too sure that "Cnut" would fly too well!

Anyone who thinks Prince George is bad should try Prince Rupert...............one practical way out, weather permitting!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm not too sure that "Cnut" would fly too well!

Anyone who thinks Prince George is bad should try Prince Rupert...............one practical way out, weather permitting!

i'll certainly go along with that observation, i've been there twice, couldn't wait to leave.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
God Save the Queen, future kings and Prince George! Poll reveals confidence in the monarchy is at an all-time high

By Rob Cooper
28 July 2013
Daily Mail

Soaring popularity: 53% of Britons believe the country will be worse off without the monarchy

The popularity of the monarchy has soared to all-time highs following the birth of Prince George, a survey has revealed.

The Queen is enjoying unparallelled public support as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have reinvigorated interest in the Royal family, particularly among the young.

Three quarters of the British public believe the newborn prince will one day become king, as the public confidently predict the monarchy will endure.

Two years ago a quarter of people said the country will be a republic within the next 50 years, compared with just nine per cent now, the ComRes survey for the Sunday Telegraph found.

The Royal family have enjoyed a surge in popularity on the back of Kate Middleton's wedding to Prince William two years ago.

A series of important events - the wedding, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the royal birth - have kept them firmly in the public eye.

Popularity: 26 per cent said the Queen was the member of the Royal family they most admired, making her the most popular royal

Not even the controversy surrounding nude photographs of Prince Harry in a Las Vegas hotel room last year has dampened enthusiasm for the family, according to the survey.

Following the death of Princess Diana in 1997 after her divorce from Prince Charles, support for the monarchy slumped to historic lows.

But by the time the Queen's Golden Jubilee came around in 2002, the family's popularity had already recovered.

King in waiting: Prince George who was born on the Lindo Wing at St Mary's Hospital, in west London, on Monday

The public believe that Prince George will become king even though his turn is unlikely to come for more than half a century.

The survey found that 53 per cent believe Britain would be worse off without the royals - and only 14 per cent believe that the country would be better without them.

Today the most popular royals after the Queen are the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, along with Prince Harry.

But a significant proportion say Prince Charles should not accede to the throne when the Queen dies.

The survey found that 38 per cent of people are in favour of Prince William being the next King - compared with 42 per cent who said it should be Charles.

Future king? 38 per cent of people said Prince Charles should not become king and the Crown should instead jump a generation straight to Prince William

Asked which member of the Royal family they most admire, 26 per cent of people said the Queen, 19 per cent the Duke of Cambridge, 17 per cent Prince Harry and 12 per cent the Duchess of Cambridge.

Just four per cent said Prince Charles - and only one per cent opted for his wife, the Duchess of Cornwall.

However, 40 per cent said the Queen's £36.1million Sovereign Grant does not represent good value for money - compared with 43 per cent who said that it does.

ComRes questioned 2,005 adults about their views on the monarchy on July 24 and 25, just after Prince George had been born.

Read more: God Save the Queen, future kings and Prince George! Poll reveals confidence in the monarchy is at an all-time high | Mail Online

The Slumdog Footman: The incredible journey that took a poor boy from a Calcutta orphanage to a starring role at Buckingham Palace announcing the birth of Prince George

He began life in a slum apartment in the backstreets of Calcutta, yet rose to become the Royal footman who announced Prince George’s birth to an expectant nation.

To the cheers of thousands of people standing patiently outside Buckingham Palace, it was Badar Azim who strode proudly across the courtyard with the Queen’s Press Secretary Ailsa Anderson to mount the official acknowledgement of the baby’s safe arrival on an ornate easel.

Resplendent in his scarlet and black footman’s outfit, the uniform gave no clue to his humble background.

Read more: The Slumdog Footman: The incredible journey that took a poor boy from a Calcutta orphanage to a starring role at Buckingham Palace announcing the birth of Prince George | Mail Online

Moment of glory: Footman Badar Azim with the Queen's Press Secretary Ailsa Anderson holding the announcement of Prince George's birth

Humble begginngs: Azim, pictured in the yellow t-shirt, with his old classmates

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I think it would have looked a bit strange had the nice young couple named their baby son Sweyn Forkbeard (who was King of England from 1013 to 1014).

Sweyn's father was Harald Bluetooth, which is where the name of Bluetooth software comes from.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

The name Prince Rupert doesn't go down too well in my hometown of Bolton.

Prince Rupert, British Columbia is named after Prince Rupert of the Rhine, the nephew of King Charles I, who led the Royalist army that partook in the Massacre of Bolton during the English Civil War in 1644.

Prince George as a teenager? Computer image shows how our future king could look as he grows up

• The handsome adolescent has mousy blond hair, his mother's eyes and nose and father's mouth and chin
  • The image was produced by U.S. portrait artist Dr D'Lynn Waldron
By Tara Brady
28 July 2013
Daily Mail

It wasn't too long after the Duchess of Cambridge announced she was pregnant that artists and forensic experts began coming up with their own impressions of how the world's most eagerly anticipated baby may look.

But now Prince George Alexander Louis has been born, one expert has helped to create a computer image of how she thinks the young Royal will look as a teenager.

The handsome adolescent has mousy blond hair, strong eyebrows, his mum's nose and eyes and his dad's mouth and chin.

The image was produced by Dr D'Lynn Waldron, a portrait artist and photographer from the U.S., who said she took into account 'genetics, lifestyle, personality and environment.'

Dr Waldron has previously produced portraits of Princess Diana, Marilyn Monroe, Shiloh Jolie Pitt and Suri Cruise.

'My age-progressed and age-regressed portraits are digitally painted artwork forensically based on all available source materials, including genetics, lifestyle, medical history, personality, environment, and how gravity effects their type of face', said Dr Waldron.

How Prince George looks now

This image created by Dr Waldron predicts how he could look like as a teenager

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The name Prince Rupert doesn't go down too well in my hometown of Bolton.

Prince Rupert, British Columbia is named after Prince Rupert of the Rhine, the nephew of King Charles I, who led the Royalist army that partook in the Massacre of Bolton during the English Civil War in 1644.

That's the least of Prince Rupert's problems. -:)