NDP calls for uncivil MPs to be suspended without pay

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Quite a while ago, I was having a rather ruckus conversation about the corruption in the Federal Liberal government, with an immagrant from Romania.

He scoffed at what we Canadians find abhorrent in politics.

He then rattled off the list of reasons he immigrated to Canada from Romania and asked who I thought was responsible for those issues.

His apathy annoyed me. But the truth made me smile...

Here's some real decorum issues for you...

Real Democracy? HUGE FIGHT in Ukraine Parliament over Language Law. Would you want this in UK/U.S? - YouTube

Oh I know there are all out brawls in some Parliaments around the world. And by and large I'd say that Canada is one of the best countries in the world to live. I wouldn't live anywhere else myself. :)

But I'd still say we don't lower our bar for standards just because someone else behaves even worse than we do. If we did that then the reasons your Romanian immigrant friend decided to come here as opposed to remain at home or go elsewhere might just start to dwindle.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Why you ask?.. 2 reasons really:

1. It's the NDP we're talking about, these clowns will over complicate the decision for the choice of mustard on their ham sammich.
  2. We can't fire MPs the same way a cook yelling obscenities in the kitchen can be canned.

Much to my chagrin! -:)

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
d

What a crock od shyte. He hasn't worked in years and that's one of the reasons he took the job doing a lowly commercial. He was out of work when bushy boy was president. Publicly supporting romney had nothing to do with it.

- gerryh ... While I make it a point to ignore any lefty loon who is delusional or retarded enough to seriously claim that Justin Trudeau "is doing a great job" and then slithers away when challenged on that utter imbecility, it seems you have decided to be an annoying a$$hole again and stalk me around the board.

- Accordingly, I shall occasionally respond to your drivel. The actor in question claims - see below - that GEICO (which, as you undoubtedly don't know stands for Government Employees Insurance Company) canned him for his criticisms of Obama. This is not provable but it certainly can't be dismissed out of hand as BS inasmuch as the new McCarthy Era in Hollyweird dictates that conservatives be ostracized in exactly the same manner that liberals were in the original McCarthy Era of the 1950s.

Actor R. Lee Ermey, Geico's drill-sergeant-therapist, says he was fired from commercial for criticizing Obama | Fox News

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
- gerryh ... While I make it a point to ignore any lefty loon who is delusional or retarded enough to seriously claim that Justin Trudeau "is doing a great job" and then slithers away when challenged on that utter imbecility, it seems you have decided to be an annoying a$$hole again and stalk me around the board.

- Accordingly, I shall occasionally respond to your drivel. The actor in question claims - see below - that GEICO (which, as you undoubtedly don't know stands for Government Employees Insurance Company) canned him for his criticisms of Obama. This is not provable but it certainly can't be dismissed out of hand as BS inasmuch as the new McCarthy Era in Hollyweird dictates that conservatives be ostracized in exactly the same manner that liberals were in the original McCarthy Era of the 1950s.

Actor R. Lee Ermey, Geico's drill-sergeant-therapist, says he was fired from commercial for criticizing Obama | Fox News

That's hilarious. Conservatives are to be ostracized eh......roflmao. Seems like former REPUBLICAN Governor Schwarzenegger isn't having any problem getting work. Try again teddy, another swing and a miss.

Just sour grapes from a washed up right wing nut case.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
But what I find most depressing of all is all the citizens who buy into the whole "tow the party line" bias. If anything I feel as if the party I voted for owes me more accountability and should be subjected to more scrutiny, not the other way around.

Agreed. I voted for a candidate, and I expect him to serve mankind first, his nation second, his constituents third, and his party somewhere much farther down the line.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Agreed. I voted for a candidate, and I expect him to serve mankind first, his nation second, his constituents third, and his party somewhere much farther down the line.

I would put constituents first only because in the capacity of his or her job, well that is his or her job.

Not unlike the chef who, while I would hope they are a reasonably decent human being, while operating in the capacity of a chef needs to be focused first and foremost on preparing the meal I ordered because that's what I'm paying him for.

Otherwise yes, party definitely comes after constituents because we're the people that hire them, not the party.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Oh I know there are all out brawls in some Parliaments around the world. And by and large I'd say that Canada is one of the best countries in the world to live. I wouldn't live anywhere else myself. :)

But I'd still say we don't lower our bar for standards just because someone else behaves even worse than we do. If we did that then the reasons your Romanian immigrant friend decided to come here as opposed to remain at home or go elsewhere might just start to dwindle.

I angers me to no end when I hear politicians defending injustice at home because 'it's worse elsewhere'.

I would put constituents first only because in the capacity of his or her job, well that is his or her job.

Not unlike the chef who, while I would hope they are a reasonably decent human being, while operating in the capacity of a chef needs to be focused first and foremost on preparing the meal I ordered because that's what I'm paying him for.

Otherwise yes, party definitely comes after constituents because we're the people that hire them, not the party.

I'd have to disagree, because if all candidates placed their constituents before all else, just immagin the NIMBYism and the porkbarelling of funds for any and all pet projects in their own constituency even when it might more sense to put it elsewhere.

I'd even place mankind before the country, because I've read of enough CIDA projects that benefit Canada to the detriment of the host country even though it's supposed to be an altruistic international development agency. Sickening, really.

I don't profess the Christian faith myself, but if we're going to pretend to have soo many Christian voters in this country, then let's let our votes reflect it.

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
That's hilarious. Conservatives are to be ostracized eh......roflmao. Seems like former REPUBLICAN Governor Schwarzenegger isn't having any problem getting work. Try again teddy, another swing and a miss.

Just sour grapes from a washed up right wing nut case.

- Jesus, gerryh, you are stupid. Obviously the superstars who can bring in big bucks - stars like Schwarzenegger and Eastwood - will continue to get work because the one thing that Hollyweird hypocrites respect even above lip service to liberalism is the almighty dollar. A good example is your global warming hero Al Gore selling out his principles for a cool $100 million by selling his TV network to a company financed and controlled by a ME Arab dictatorship that is pro-big oil and pro-Islam and anti-Jew, women, democracy and pretty much everything else that Fat Albert has made a fortune claiming to support. However, the second tier stars like James Caan find work harder to get when they come out as conservatives and the ordinary working actors like The Sarge find work hard or impossible to get.

- What the hell makes you think you are any better informed about Hollyweird and show business than you are about Justin Trudeau? Do you really think you fool anyone here except for the lunatic left fringers?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
-
- What the hell makes you think you are any better informed about Hollyweird and show business than you are about Justin Trudeau? Do you really think you fool anyone here except for the lunatic left fringers?
Could you explain the difference between a lunatic right fringer and a lunatic left fringer to us peasants.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
- Jesus, gerryh, you are stupid. Obviously the superstars who can bring in big bucks - stars like Schwarzenegger and Eastwood - will continue to get work because the one thing that Hollyweird hypocrites respect even above lip service to liberalism is the almighty dollar. A good example is your global warming hero Al Gore selling out his principles for a cool $100 million by selling his TV network to a company financed and controlled by a ME Arab dictatorship that is pro-big oil and pro-Islam and anti-Jew, women, democracy and pretty much everything else that Fat Albert has made a fortune claiming to support. However, the second tier stars like James Caan find work harder to get when they come out as conservatives and the ordinary working actors like The Sarge find work hard or impossible to get.

roflmao...... ok...... the small amount of entertainment you bring is starting run very thin. The idea that I am from the "lunatic left" is beyond hilarious, especially since I don't support a fair amount of the left wings bullshyte. I have never supported gore, nor do I subscribe to his or suzuki's global warming fear mongering. Maybe you should try taking those blinders off, not that I think it will really make a difference considering your extended age.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Why you ask?.. 2 reasons really:

1. It's the NDP we're talking about, these clowns will over complicate the decision for the choice of mustard on their ham sammich.
  2. We can't fire MPs the same way a cook yelling obscenities in the kitchen can be canned.

If CDNBear and that figure from the National Post are right, these rules will blow up in the face of the NDP. Oh the irony!

In any case, as to your first point arguing that these rules don't make sense because the NDP make a mess of things is exactly the mindless partisan reasoning that you've accused other people of. The rules either make sense or they do not, the NDP have nothing to do with whether the rules make sense or not.

As for the second point, if we can fire them for stealing money, why not fire them for wasting Canadian's time and money by miring important decision making time with petty insults? That is what this discussion is all about and why the potential for these rules is so interesting.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
roflmao...... ok...... the small amount of entertainment you bring is starting run very thin. The idea that I am from the "lunatic left" is beyond hilarious, especially since I don't support a fair amount of the left wings bullshyte. I have never supported gore, nor do I subscribe to his or suzuki's global warming fear mongering. Maybe you should try taking those blinders off, not that I think it will really make a difference considering your extended age.

I didn't realize he was very old? So I guess you can be both old and stupid-:)

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
I didn't realize he was very old? So I guess you can be both old and stupid-:)

- JLM ... No need to guess, you've already proven that you can be both old and stupid inasmuch as you are probably one of the oldest posters here (69 according to your little avatar intro) and you are undoubtedly one of the stupidest posters here.

- As for me, I am indeed "very old" being less than a year younger than you but I am not stupid insofar as the tests that are commonly used to determine such things attest.

- The old adage "with age comes wisdom" probably applies to me.

- The old adage "with age comes senility" seems very much to apply to you.

- Now don't go away mad, just go away. Otherwise I might post another of what you would call a "novel" For those lucky readers who are unfamiliar with you, a "novel" to JLM is any piece of writing that frequently uses words of more than four letters and two syllables and that is longer than what might be easily written on a bumper sticker or union picket sign.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
- JLM ... No need to guess, you've already proven that you can be both old and stupid inasmuch as you are probably one of the oldest posters here (69 according to your little avatar intro) and you are undoubtedly one of the stupidest posters here.

- As for me, I am indeed "very old" being less than a year younger than you but I am not stupid insofar as the tests that are commonly used to determine such things attest.

- Now don't go away mad, just go away. Otherwise I might post another of what you would call a "novel" For those lucky readers who are unfamiliar with you, a "novel" to JLM is any piece of writing that frequently uses words of more than four letters and two syllables and that is longer than what might be easily written on a bumper sticker or union picket sign.

Thank you Teddy. This is a perfect example of the ad hominem attacks we need to stop on the House floor.

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012

- gerryh ... Perhaps I am mistaken that you come off at least in your responses to my posts as being from the lunatic left wing fringe but I rather think that you are at the least a left winger who is confused and actually thinks she is simply a moderate liberal. You see, anybody not in his employ who thinks that Justin Trudeau is qualified to be prime minister and is doing a great job is certainly both gullible in the extreme and on the left wing of the Liberal Party. And you also really should check with your hero Justin on Gore and Suzuki and global warming because he certainly subscribes to all of the bull**** and hypocrisy and blown billions and third world transfers associated with the anti-global warming crusade and its champions. As to my extended age, unlike yourself I subscribe to the notion that the relevant experience and skills and judgement acquired through the years are actually great assets as, for example, they proved to be with John A. MacDonald and Winston Churchill and Konrad Adehauer and other seasoned political leaders. Obviously, you have contempt for age and relevant experience and believe that some young a$$hole who has never even held a full time job let alone accomplished anything or led a significant and complex organization can start at the top without qualifications. This explains your endorsement of Justin Trudeau and also your fawning over management trainee Obama.

- As to you not finding me entertaining, this is easily remedied by the ignore button which perhaps you should use in the future. But I doubt that you will anymore than JLM and a few others or the guy who used to phone my radio talk show from 3 to 6 times in every three hour program in order to tell my screener/producer that he never listened to me.

Thank you Teddy. This is a perfect example of the ad hominem attacks we need to stop on the House floor.

- Machjo ... You're welcome! I live to serve. But I do hope you will acknowledge that it is JLM who follows me around like some weird and obsessed cyberstalker and who obsessively and negatively responds to every post I make but who never adds anything of real substance and value in his ad hominem attacks on me. Now I can't help it if I am much better at retaliating than he is at attacking and I also should add that I often simply ignore him whereas he never ignores me and he even manages to insult me in threads in which I have had absolutely no participation.

- Your intervention reminds me of the time that Paul Martin (the father not Panama Paul) was castigating then prime minister Diefenbaker in the House for changing the order of debate of bills so that a bill came up several hours earlier than originally scheduled and accordingly the opposition MPs like Martin had less time to study the bill and prepare their speeches about it.

- "The prime minister is putting a gun to the head of this House!" thundered Paul Martin.

- "Mr. Speaker", responded Dief, "I'm not sure I understand what the honourable member means by me putting a gun to his head. In any case, there would be no damage done!".

- Good times and I should also add that Dief and Paul Martin Snr. were actually very good friends outside the combative atmosphere of the House and that Dief was the guest speaker at Paul's dinner in Windsor to mark his retirement from parliament.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

Oh the irony. Do you fathom the meaning of hubris?

On the side, why the bullet lists? I have no idea why you use them, as the points you make in the individual bullets are often very disjoint. Please, construct proper sentences and paragraphs. Poor hyphen doesn't need to be so abused.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Teddy Boy is perfectly within his right to post whatever his opinions are and to a degree, to express them in whatever fashion he deems appropriate, expecting of course feedback in the spirit of his posts! The post ratings speak for themselves.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Teddy Boy is perfectly within his right to post whatever his opinions are and to a degree, to express them in whatever fashion he deems appropriate, expecting of course feedback in the spirit of his posts! The post ratings speak for themselves.

True, true, but if I had dictatorial control of the forums I'd ban him just for the excessive bullet points. Then again, I am a bastard.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
True, true, but if I had dictatorial control of the forums I'd ban him just for the excessive bullet points. Then again, I am a bastard.

I don't see the "bullet points" as being out of line as in fact he is firing "bullets". (But I also have a thick hide).