Moving from NS to Red Deer

bizzymum

Dec 20, 2009
Pictou county, NS
I am from the Dallas area. The only thing I miss is that they are more pet friendly, the houses have more than 1 bathroom and fenced back yards. But they can keep the narrow minded mentalities. That got too old.

prairieboy

Nov 13, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I finally made it to Canada from Texas and landed in Pictou county NS. I am working as a nurse at a great facility, but I the opportunities for growth and jobs are limited for my family so I now have the opportunity to move to Red Deer, AB. I am really looking forward to relocating to somewhere a bit more progressive and not so isolated. I also have trouble with housing here because the majority of the houses here do not have fenced backyards and I have dogs. Plus there seems to be more lease to own homes in Alberta.

I don't think the company that wants me to work for them will pay for shipping of my goods and the price of shipping from NS to AB is outrageous. What do most people do when they move from the Maritimes to out west? Do they sell all their stuff and start over, or do they ship all their household goods? What is the drive like and how long will it take with one driver?

Is there anyone who has lived in Red Deer and what is it like?
Bring Lots of Lobster. Then you are in.

joemon

Aug 20, 2012
Hi bizzymum,
I am Joe working as an RN in SK.I am following this thread with keen interest as I have plans to move to alberta in next 1 year. red deer is one place I like to move, as it is neither too small nor too big. tell us about your new life once you start your career in RD.

wishes,

joe

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Hi bizzymum,
I am Joe working as an RN in SK.I am following this thread with keen interest as I have plans to move to alberta in next 1 year. red deer is one place I like to move, as it is neither too small nor too big. tell us about your new life once you start your career in RD.

wishes,

joe
SK is the next boom,why not stay and be in on the ground floor?

GroundWater

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2008
Gibbons
I finally made it to Canada from Texas and landed in Pictou county NS. I am working as a nurse at a great facility, but I the opportunities for growth and jobs are limited for my family so I now have the opportunity to move to Red Deer, AB. I am really looking forward to relocating to somewhere a bit more progressive and not so isolated. I also have trouble with housing here because the majority of the houses here do not have fenced backyards and I have dogs. Plus there seems to be more lease to own homes in Alberta.

I don't think the company that wants me to work for them will pay for shipping of my goods and the price of shipping from NS to AB is outrageous. What do most people do when they move from the Maritimes to out west? Do they sell all their stuff and start over, or do they ship all their household goods? What is the drive like and how long will it take with one driver?

Is there anyone who has lived in Red Deer and what is it like?
Go west young lady.

B00Mer

Make Canada Great Again
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.canadianforums.ca
I am really looking forward to relocating to somewhere a bit more progressive and not so isolated

What do you mean by this?? Just ask'in. DFW is very progressive and with a population of close to 15 million in the DFW Metroplex, hardly isolated.

My sister is an RN in San Antonio.

... I bet she loves the River Walk and the restaurants down there.. awesome city. So much culture.

B00Mer

Make Canada Great Again
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.canadianforums.ca

Texas Rules..

Alberta, the best place to live in North America.. second only to Texas.. ;)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I lived in Red Deer many years ago and found it to be a nice place to live.
Radio announcers always move on though so it was a two year stay. You
will find commuting to Calgary a bit of a challenge though its further than is
let on. It would be an eighty to ninety mile drive north or south to Calgary or
Edmonton.
Right now everyone is heading west. In a few years when the NS oil comes
on line people will be heading east to some degree. I think your best be is to
take only what you need family valuables and sell the rest buy stuff in the west.
U Haul it is for the best prices on moving. From NS to Red Deer is a long way.
I have made the trip several times from BC and it is a week out of your life before
you are done.
Take a camera and enjoy the trip it will be one of the nicest drives you have ever
done.